My clone chamber

i’ve had some small success making clones, so i figured i’d take it a step further and dedicate a 3x3 tent to propagating my own on a more consistent basis so that i have some ready for friends who grow. hopefully this works out… wish me luck!

its a standard 3x3 ipower text
with a 24 site clone chamber box
and there’s a humidifier set on 75%

i’ve got an air pump connected with 2 lines serving up bubbles

there’s a 4" inline low wattage fan
on 24hrs evacuating the air

the LED is a bloombeast 520a.

9 Likes

Awesome let’s see what happens. . . Good Luck​:camera_flash::popcorn::seat:

2 Likes

Good work.

Love to see clone ops.

3 Likes

:thumbsup:
I made my own cloner with poor results…i think the spray was way over-pressurized & volume too high, the temperatures to high & unstable & the f*cker leaked at the lid. :slight_smile:

i think the water temps & hygiene are about all you need to worry about if you can keep some humidity in the tent airspace.

thanks for the :projector: show

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

That light looks a bit large. I use a tiny 25w T5 florescent light for my clones. I’ve had issues when they get too much light before they root.

3 Likes

Cool tent. Bottom pic…Are those the clones? If so they need to be much smaller, along the lines of top 2 growth tips and two trimmed fan leaves. Good cuttings always come from super healthy mom’s. They need to be growing aggressively and have a decent smell to them. Remeber…“If Momma Ain’t Happy, Nobody’s Happy”.

3 Likes

…fair points on the “smaller is better” technique; however, when i have succeeded rooting 'biguns they take off in veg 2x as fast. :thumbsup: reminds me of the outdoor “deep transplantng”(remove lower branches & bury).

:four_leaf_clover:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

my mother plant was getting so big i decided to take some clones, but instead of snipping off small limbs i figured i’d just lop off a branch and attempt to clone it that way. it’s almost the diameter of a dime at the cut, i’ve got it and some others in a deep water style clone chamber with just a dab of rooting gel and and a touch of recharge.

thanks for lookin overgrowers!

1 Like

Go big or go home, I like it! from what I’ve read, cloning different sizes had it’s ups and downs. . .smaller clones will take longer to root but faster to revert back to veg growing, bigger clones will root faster but take longer to revert. . .I don’t know personally but I’m sure the experts will teach us both something. . .let’s wait and see :camera_flash::popcorn::seat:

3 Likes

@Hoodini I think you might have that backwards but I could be wrong NOT that I have a lot of successful clone attempts under my belt but I thought I’v always heard woodier material takes longer to get roots!

3 Likes

Let us know how it turns out I’m excited for the results BTW that’s one big bitch of a clone!

3 Likes

Lol that is highly possible I was under the influence of drugs at the time :wink:

4 Likes

Im going to follow how this goes for you. I just tried to root my first clones - with mixed success. Im using a DIY LP aero cloner. They all rooted, but it took 10 days for any roots to show and 14 for all 3 of them to root. They all look about 1/2 dead too, so I have a lot of room for improvement.

1 Like

By the way, I did a lot of reading different FAQ’s and grow reports for a month before I started. This is what I found in my research.

1. Run the water continuously 24/7 OR 15 mins ON and 45 minutes OFF OR 5 minutes ON and 30 minutes OFF OR 30/30 OR 1/45 OR 45/15 or… in other words - any watering cycle you want to use is perfect. The exception to that is no one recomends leaving the water OFF as long as I have been doing it = 1.5 hrs.

2. Lights should be very very low and only on 18/6 OR very low and 24/7 OR medium 18/6 OR medium and 24/7 OR… pick any ligth schedule you want as long as its not full power.

3. Use tap water only with no PHing at all OR use tap water but PH it down to 5.8 OR 6.0 OR 5.5 OR Use tap water and PH it down but add some nutes to around PPM 100 OR PPM 200 OR PPM 300 OR PPM 600…OR repeat all of the above with RO water…

4. Humidity should be kept hi with a dome - but only if you feel like it or maybe only on Thursdays… be sure to vent the dome!!

5. Keep the clones at room temp OR at 75F OR at 80F OR at 85F OR just keep the root zone at those temps… but only if you feel like it…

6. Use rooting hormones - OR dont

7. Cut the stems at an angle - almost everyone agrees with this one!!

8. scrape the stems - OR dont

9. Slice the stems - OR dont

10. Take lower branches only - OR upper branches only OR soft branches only OR hard branches only OR large branches only OR small tiny tiny branches only… or just plant a seed :slight_smile:

11. Cut all the leaves in half - lots of agreement here.

12. remove all the leaves except the upper two - or dont

13. Dont mess with aero-cloning its a waste of time. Just rip the darn things off with a brush hog and stick them in a glass of old spit water and stick them in a window. :wink:

10 Likes

Boom where we go. . .we can all go home now :wink::joy:
Loved your post btw :+1::+1:

6 Likes

I tend to be a little anal when it comes to “how to do” most anything. I much prefer to do things the best way possible - if I can afford it. BUT - there should be ONE and only one “best practice”. If its not the best, its second best or worse. Seems logical to me.

However, virtually every single thing we do growing pot has many many many “best” practices - depending on who you ask and sometimes on when you ask :smiley:

I much prefer it when there is a clear - and consistent - cause and effect. You cant get that with anything when it comes to growing.

It reminds my of the movie “The Martian”. The hero is a botanist, and at one point the pilot says something like “We are having to do all your chores, but its only botany - not real science.” :smiley:

2 Likes

:herb:update :herb:

first – many thanks for all the input & advice! i truly appreciate it. i keep a small circle & nobody grows, so you guys are the greatest info source other than my texts. i really love this site.

next – as far as the monster clones, well these things have been in the chamber for a 11 days now & it looks like a few of them might actually work out! some of the lowest fan leaves showed some discoloring and signs stress after being in for the first few days so i clipped that stuff off and cleaned them up.
:seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling::seedling:

this being an experiment & all, i took a more common size cutting & put it in there to compare what might happen. i’m happy to have decided to try to clone my own & keep the genetics i’ve become a fan of.

they’ve been in the water chamber with just a touch of Olivias solution & i’ve swapped out the water once.

there are 2 of them out of the 7 that are slow to grow roots but overall i’m satisfied & think i’m going to actually be able to grow a few of them.
here’s a photo of this strain flowered out from the last round

thanks for checking out the progress, keep it growin :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree:
-double

11 Likes

Nice!

What strain is that? Mine needed about 14 days to get that many roots, and the plants looked like crap.

Can you give more details on your cloner? Are they just sitting in water, or do you have air stones or??

2 Likes

@morgwar needs to put a little something round about here somewhere :smile:

4 Likes

hey hey & thanks for the responses.

the strain is a lemon OG cross from a local breeder up here in Michigan. smells like pine trees, pineapples & lemons… i have 2 other super healthy cuts taken 2 months ago, i’m gonna flower one & gift one to another patient and see how he does with it.

the cloner box is a simple 24 site clone-chamber from the grow shop, think it was around $35 and i attached a multi-line air pump with 1 air stone attached & one hose line just blowing bubbles. its on 24hrs. i tried a timer on & off for 15 mins but my timer was acting goofy and popped my circuit… so i’ve just left it on 24.

i’m gonna let them chug along for another few days or even a week! i’m learning to dial in my conditions with good sized clones so i can put myself on more of a schedule instead of winging like i usually do.

-double

p.s. thanks for the help overgrowers

5 Likes