What type of COCO do you use?

• Dehydrated COCO bricks
  • Bagged COCO

0 voters

And what brand do you prefer?? I was previously buying dehydrated blocks 1kg which says makes 60L for ~25$ but I see a 50L bag of canna coco is around the same price… and i also had fungus gnats with the pressed block …

3 Likes

Bagged Plagron Cocos or Biobizz Coco mix… both tested with great results.

5 Likes

I don’t get gnats not in coco canna pro plus it’s super with hesi hydro or coco or canna it’s buffered . Beats soil by a nautical mile

5 Likes

Strictly out of laziness, bagged is our go-to. Bought a bunch of big ol bricks once, and got so tired of getting it soaked, broken down, and rinsed, that we just factor our time into the cost of buying ready-to-use bags.

5 Likes

i went with the bagged Coco this time, ive rehydrated the bricks quite a few times thinking i was saving significantly more than i actually was lol

3 Likes

Loved the Plagron I took a chance and used it straight out of the bag no problems. I also used home depot blackgold or something like that with good results

3 Likes

I used coco gold label today… and turns out it was $30 for 50L … and 5kg brick (60L) is $15 so I’ll probably rehydrate the bricks again next time

i also got 110L of perlite for $35 which is wayy cheaper than I paid before… last time I got ~7L for $12.50 ! :angry:

4 Likes

Do you mix your coco with perlite?

Thinking about switching to coco for the first time. Just wondering if I have to mix it or not. Gotta check and see what kind is available to me.

5 Likes

Botanicare coco coir in the bag. Blend with ewc and sprouted seed tea for seedlings

2 Likes

I don’t mix mine for the most part. It’s pretty airy on its own, like moreso than promix type soil w perlite added. If I want more drainage I add the Coco ‘croutons’ at about 10-20%.

3 Likes

I use a bagged brand from the local shop callled mokoko. It’s been great, good consistency and no issues.

I recently hydrated a cheapo block to use for mothers and stuff, seems ok but was a real pain to wet, then squeeze dry for storage…it took forever. I think I should have flushed it out a bit more too

Does anyone know a cheap source for good bagged coco in Canada?

3 Likes

I always seem to get mites in the blocks of coir.
Not sure if it’s because I used to buy the cheap ones or what.
I’ve just bought a 50l of Canna coco and it’s of a much better quality than the bricks I was buying.

5 Likes

fungus gnats love it…

2 Likes

I use bricks, a brand called Coco Bliss. Good, low EC initial runoffs, and haven’t had any fungus gnats like some previous brands.

5 Likes

Great, thanks everyone for the info and replying to such an old thread. I had no idea it was 2 years old but just reading through some FAQS on coco. I think I’m gonna make the change on my next grow! Will search around town to see what’s available

3 Likes

I think I got gnats from Roots Coco. I like Canna Coco more but roots is pretty cheap for the bricks.

2 Likes

i mix mine with perlite at about 50/50 just because perlite is so much cheaper than coco and i’m cheap as fk (aka poor)

2 Likes