Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

This pre existing thread should be helpful:

2 Likes

Just ordered some mosquito dunks gonna try them mixed in with water like u mentioned :pray::+1:

2 Likes

Nematodes have worked well for me too, but you can’t store them, you have to order a new batch every time you mix soil or transplant, I wish they were an everyday item at gardening stores, it’s like $30-$40 per batch at Arbico.

3 Likes

My soils contain predatory mites which will also aide in getting rid of those little mother f$&@:ers eggs!

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle wot soil u using?

2 Likes

Here is one of threads I’v posted in

2 Likes

I am using fox farms ocean forest organic soil

1 Like

Hello gang. I moved the thread to this one, it’s been going for a while, more info on the subject for everyone. Thanks.

I bought some at the local hydro shop, and they are in the water alright, but watch out for pH, mosquito dunks raise pH like crazy, a whole lot i mean. My filtered water comes out at 6.0~6.5pH and only the BTI takes to more than 8pH. So keep an eye out for that.

I have been controlling the pH of the water before feeding but i never seen any gnats. I saw some mini-spiders today, they had little bridges between the pots, spider web bridges that is, i applied AzaMax, and that should take care of it. I guess…

3 Likes

Not familiar enough with fox farms soil
@lotus710 may give some valuable input with this potting soil.

Thanks for the heads up I ph my water to 6.5 so will keep it in mind did the mosquito dunks work for you?

1 Like

DE, sticky traps, neem and karanja all work well for me but you have to reapply all of them occasionally. Depending on where you live your gnats could be coming in on your clothes, through unfiltered ducts, or just flying in if you keep your door open too long. All bagged soil in the Northern California area that i have used at one time or another has had gnats in it. It is impossible for me to grow 100% of the time with out having them. I can go six months or so but one mistake or happenstance and i am battling them. I recommend sticky traps on most pots all the time, it gives you time to act when they get started. I have never used mosquito dunks but here good things about it.

3 Likes

skeeter dunks crushed and top dressed or if your hydro toss it in a stocking and then in the rez…then follow up with yellow sticky traps and insecticidal soap…gotta kill the fliers they lay 300 eggs a day. :peace:

5 Likes

Cheers guys I have sticky traps in place got some DF coming along with the mosquito dunks hopefully that will sort it

2 Likes

Is there a particular insecticidal soap u would recommend

2 Likes

I use rockwool an as long as you keep your cubes in the dark don’t let any light hit there won’t be any algae to lay there eggs so they can’t reproduce

2 Likes

@Smokinsammy, i am using them dunks right now, i have yet to see a fungus knat, there was a little bug i showed a pic of, but i wasn’t sure what it was, anyway, i’m watering the plants with BTI as a precaution, not because i got pests…

2 Likes

If you have algae on your rockwool a flush with h202 will kill the algae then remember to shake all that out an feed so you build your rockwool nutes back up

2 Likes

I would place the rockwool cubes under the unforgiving sun, there is nothing that can live after that. Then just soak them again. Can one do that?

1 Like

I am not using rock wool cubes

1 Like

Could u explain more about the BTI u r watering with?

2 Likes