Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

Is this a gnat?

3 Likes

I don’t recognize that. It looks cool though.

2 Likes

I think it is a fungus gnat, it started trying to escape the cup as i was watering the seeds in the cups… Killed it in an instant… I panicked.

3 Likes

That is probably a good idea. When in doubt splat it.

2 Likes

I think it most likey is it has the right body shape ( or what’s left of a body) and soggy too
Take precautions now

2 Likes

What you have there looks like a Springtail, or whats left of one.

Here are the stages of a F. Gnat

Hope that helps.

12 Likes

I think I have fungus knats which apparently come in most soils will this get rid of them?

From my understanding of DE , the ground up diatoms have very sharp edges when viewed at a microscopic level , it gets in the moving part areas of the insect and cuts them up probably desiccating them as well’

So woukd this stuff be OK to use? Coz the first one I ordered won’t be here for over a week the Amazon one I could get on next day delivery

D-earth is a temporary fix only - you can cover the top of the soil when it’s dry and it will kill the active ones off, but as soon as you water it stops working. Mixing it into the soil does not work.

the only thing that works for me is Bti - I use Gnatrol, not sure if you can buy it in the UK. I drench the soil with 2-3 tsp. per gallon of water, for 2 or 3 waterings, and it kills them all. Bti is in “mosquito dunks” also, you can grind them up and stir the pieces into your water.

4 Likes

Nothing off the shelf has ever helped me with fungus gnats. For me all the products i’ve tried just masked the problem and never solved it. I don’t use chemicals at all and tried as many natural solutions as i could. Compost tea has works best for me so many beneficial organisms including predatory nematodes. You could also see if you can order predatory nematodes.

2 Likes

This pre existing thread should be helpful:

2 Likes

Just ordered some mosquito dunks gonna try them mixed in with water like u mentioned :pray::+1:

2 Likes

Nematodes have worked well for me too, but you can’t store them, you have to order a new batch every time you mix soil or transplant, I wish they were an everyday item at gardening stores, it’s like $30-$40 per batch at Arbico.

3 Likes

My soils contain predatory mites which will also aide in getting rid of those little mother f$&@:ers eggs!

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle wot soil u using?

2 Likes

Here is one of threads I’v posted in

2 Likes

I am using fox farms ocean forest organic soil

1 Like

Hello gang. I moved the thread to this one, it’s been going for a while, more info on the subject for everyone. Thanks.

I bought some at the local hydro shop, and they are in the water alright, but watch out for pH, mosquito dunks raise pH like crazy, a whole lot i mean. My filtered water comes out at 6.0~6.5pH and only the BTI takes to more than 8pH. So keep an eye out for that.

I have been controlling the pH of the water before feeding but i never seen any gnats. I saw some mini-spiders today, they had little bridges between the pots, spider web bridges that is, i applied AzaMax, and that should take care of it. I guess…

3 Likes

Not familiar enough with fox farms soil
@lotus710 may give some valuable input with this potting soil.