Whats the smallest pot size you'd use for living soil?

I’ve used 5-7 gal fabric pots for indoor grow. Currently have a white widow, blue dream & jack Herer. I’m using Bio Harmonics Tonic with some nutes. Vegged about 12-13 weeks at 27" then flipped to flower 3 weeks ago. Water daily feed every other. I think they are doing good. 66-70 Temps & 25-35% humidity. I’ve tried several things but nothing seems to increase RH.
What do you think?

2 Likes

I read an article somewhere a long time ago that suggested that once the plant’s canopy/fan leaves reaches the edge of the pot that it’s time to move up. I use that if nothing else. It’ll be right about where the roots have filled the pot size but not root bound.

I sort of switch around regarding pot sizes. I almost don’t want to run anymore outside in pots. They’re never big enough. Or, I can wait later in summer to plant and the flowering goes better. Where I’m at in southern Colorado, the sun is really intense and if I plant too early the plant is a mess by the time it starts to flower. And, if it’s felt pots outside it’s water every day. So, I guess the best rule would be to not let the plant linger in any size pot, too long. Time it so flowering starts after a couple or three weeks of the plant being in that pot.

Hi @MaryJane13, I live in a super dry climate and I recently bought a small room/closet humidifier at Walmart for $25. It’s really making a difference for me inside. It’s a unit that has a 1.2 gal water tank with a high/low button. If you run it on low it will run 24 hours before refill. If your room isn’t too large, or you could section it off with panda film or something it would help. I’m using a bedroom in an old house, but it’s in a notch by the window that is only about 8 feet wide. but I don’t have a wall of plastic yet, but I will when I flip… I keep the door cracked now and it raises the RH in the whole room pretty good. Maybe low 40%.

2 Likes

@GMan my grow room is in the basement, approximately 7’ x 14’, painted cinder block. My furnace is right outside the room & I just had the whole house humidifier repaired :disappointed:. It’s still only 66 degrees with 36%humidity. The basement is warm but that room is cooler. So frustrating. I bought a room humdifier & put it in there but didn’t help much at all .

2 Likes

If you have the tent sitting on the concrete floor you might need a ‘thermal break’.
Have you seen the DIY foam gym mats? they are about 2 foot square and they sell them in packages of 4 (around here anyway). They are great in the basement under a tent. :+1:
(better root temperatures)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

@gpaw, yes I have foam squares in my basement now but I didn’t put them in the grow room. They stain, absorb moisture so I didn’t think it was a good idea.So do you place heat mats under the foam squares or just the foam squares will do?

2 Likes

They are a high density foam EDM synthetic ‘rubber’, R 2~3 approx. But the important part is that the root temperatures will be the 24Hr. average of the room temperature minus a degree or 2.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

@Gpaw , I’ll look for some new ones & give it a try. I relocated my exhaust tube too. I think it was in a bad spot. It’s been staying at 70 hopefully it will continue to improve. Next trying to raise humidity. It was sitting @ 20-26%. I added a room size humidifier but there’s been no change. If I hang a wet towel in there it helps for a few hours.
Not sure what else to try​:thinking::thinking: open to suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Gpaw how about this?

1 Like

Sounds like your system is regulating on temperature rather than humidity.
This is something that isn’t discussed very much. If you can remove extraneous heat sources from the grow tent (e.g. LED drivers & using efficient LEDs), you can regulate on humidity and work within the VPD charts.

I’m using an AC Infinity fan with RH/Temp controller and I can regulate on humidity through the grow… at least in winter… :rofl:
Regulating on temperature generally throws you off the VPD chart.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Too thin for me, I would want a double thickness but that is the right material.

Cheers
G

1 Like

@Gpaw , actually it isn’t a tent it’s a painted cinder block room. Being winter I’m having difficulty with the heat :open_mouth:‍:dash: I was lucky to maintain 66° I think I finally have the temp stabilized. It’s been holding 70.5 for the past 2 days.
Now I’m trying to increase the humidity. It was at 20% now I got it up to 26% using a room size humidifier. I’d like to go up to 40-50% but I don’t know what else to do. I have nothing on the painted cement floor do you think this is causing the problem?

2 Likes