Whats wrong with my LED veg plants?

I can’t wait until laws get a bit laxer and we can grab clones there.

1 Like

VPD is vapor pressure deficit. It’s a balance of temperature and humidity. Basically you want the plant to have the correct amount of transpiration through the stomata so that it doesn’t either lose water too quickly or suffocate due to insufficient co2. The stoma close in response to low humidity so the the plant retains water. When they close for too long, it causes the plant not to take in water and nutrients through the roots. When the humidity is too high, the plant doesn’t transpire as quickly and has a similar effect.

When your VPD is off, it can definitely cause the symptoms you’re seeing.

1 Like

That makes sense. The closet is so tiny that my clip fan is basically touching the plants, vs the box which is a closed system, holes on one side and a fan sucking on the other. It’s almost certainly much less humid in the closet.

1 Like

Quick update…I’m pretty certain now that I’ve been really underestimating the intensity of these LED bulbs. I figured if a plant can touch a 23W fluorescent without any problems then a 15W LED can’t be that much more intense.

For reference, here’s some small clones that have been vegging in my clone area for lack of space. They’re under two 9W cool white LEDs that are about 10" away, and as you can see they’re perfectly happy and growing fine. The plants up top are in the same sized space under ~60W (4x15) of LED lighting that is about 6" away…i guess its just a bit too much

Internodal spacing is totally fine, they’re not stretching at all. Again this is 16W total of light at about 10" away…my larger fixture should definitely be further up from the canopy.

I’m new to LEDs, so this has been a good learning experience for me. I’m going to be using 7 in 1 fixtures full of LEDs for my new veg room (105W per), and assumed I would put them at like 6" from the canopy. Now I know that 10" or maybe even higher will be the ideal height.

1 Like