What's your Favorite Living Soil Recipes?

About a tablespoon or two or so in a seven gallon pot. Yeah roughly once a week.

2 Likes

Hello to everyone
I have a question. Its not about living soil, but i have no idea where to put a question.
After summer i will start indoor grow. Usualy i used potting soil with mineral nutrients and mineral nutrients during grow cycle.
Now i get some organic grow kit. Mychorizae, bacteria, tabletsā€¦ I also get fulvic, silica, aloe and malted barley.
Would it be overkill if i use all that with that mineral potting soil
(g/l): 1,5
N : 210 mg / l
P2O5 : 150 mg / l
K2O : 270 mg / l
Mg : 100 mg/l

Thanks
Spunk

I wouldnt mix the twoā€¦ the only thing inwould use with the mineral nutrients is the silica.

1 Like

Dang, that stuff your mixing up sounds like a fine recipe, including the recipe :yum:

How does everyone feel about this one? I have never used mushroom compost, but it is suppose to be full of microbes. Also I donā€™t like using Perlite anymore unless it is for seedlings. I will use lava rock more than likely.

Peat Moss, Aged Pine , Perlite , earthworm castings, Good Medicine Compost(coffee & mushroom compost)
Green Sand Potassium Silicate, Coffee-K (poultry manure, coffee grounds & sunflower hull ash) gypsum, Noregien Seaweed and Utah Humates

2 Likes

I recognize that flag, we have it flying around here too. :wink: Iā€™m from around T-town.

It is hard to find a good source of lava rock. The only stuff I have found is bagged at Lowes, expensive, and heavy as lead. Iā€™ve heard of several people using pumice. I wish I could fins a good source. Iā€™ve been having to use perlite.

3 Likes

Not sire but dont think i ever posged my current notil bed mix.

Couple ppl had concerns about all the rock dusts but I had some bud tested and no trace of heavy metals. So far it produces super resinous buds w terps for days.
*note - if I did it again Id go less manure/worm poo just cuz about half the plants I flower get a bit of Nitrogen ā€˜clawā€™

Ive had it running about a yr and a half now i think, maybe more. Done a few compost teas along the way, top dressed w bokashi cpl times.

:heavy_check_mark::star:2 bales promix = 8cu ft

:heavy_check_mark:4x 20L bags worm castings =

:star:220L perlite = 7.8cu ft

:star:3x 20L bags hen manure

:star:1 more 30L compost or more worm castings

:heavy_check_mark:3x 30L organic compost = 3cu ft

:heart:multiply everything below by 10-12

• Fish Meal - 1 Cupāœ”ļø

• Crab Meal - 1 Cup :heavy_check_mark:

• Kelp Meal - 1 Cup :heavy_check_mark:

• Alfalfa Meal - 1 Cupāœ”ļø

• Neem Seed Meal - 1 Cup :heavy_check_mark:

• Oyster Shell Flour - *2 Cups :heavy_check_mark:

• Langbeinite - 1/2 Cup :heart:

*Carbonatite - 1/2 cup???:heavy_check_mark:

*Wollastonite - 1/2 cup???:heavy_check_mark:

*Azomite - 1/2 cup???:heavy_check_mark:

• Rock Phosphate - 1/2 Cupāœ”ļø

• Glacial Rock Dust - 1/2 Cup :heavy_check_mark:

• Garden Gypsum - 1 Cup :heavy_check_mark:

• Oatmeal - 1 Cupā¤ļø

• Biochar - 15 Cups :heavy_check_mark:

mineralized phosphate (bat guano):heavy_check_mark:

insect frassāœ”ļø

Mycorrhizae :heavy_check_mark:

7 Likes

The hottest components for nitrogen are probably the chicken compost and alfalfa meal.
Iā€™d say the chicken manure could be dialed back, but the amount of worm castings is fine.
I use 1 bag chicken compost, 1 bag worm castings, 1 bag mushroom compost as my compost sources.

3 Likes

Man you have half a quarry in there with all that rock dust, very impressive.

2 Likes

This is going to sound crazy, but I started experimenting with psilocybe living soil in cannabis growing. It was very tricky to keep the mycelium alive because sometimes what the plant wanted was slightly different than what the mycelium wanted. I would add more colonized rye, coir, and hpoo with each successive transplant. I was able to go from seed to harvest without any fertilizing of the cannabis and I got perpetual mushrooms. There were issues with moisture retention and absorption on some of the plants where the mycelium took over too aggressivelyā€“when mycelium takes over all the way to the surface, the water would just bead on top, so I would have to inject water into the soil with a 16 gauge syringe. It was a fun project and I STRONGLY recommend it. You can use other types of mycelium, too, to make living soils.

Mycology and living soil are my thing. It can take growing to the next level by making it completely hands off. Between worms, compost, and mycelium, you can grow with zero input other than moisture and refuseā€“trash!! I mean, literally, you could grow cannabis from seed to harvest using nothing but shredded newspaper or toiler paper as food if you have the right mycelium to break it down!

12 Likes

I like adding malted barley powder to feed the mycelium in the soil. :+1::seedling:

10 Likes

Thatā€™s brilliant, and Iā€™m guessing the powdered nature of the barley makes it less susceptible to mold, as it would be better integrated. I really, really need to get my hands on some spores again, though I find it too much work to do mycology and indoor soil gardening at the same time these days :frowning:

5 Likes

Yep, grind it up and water it in. Be careful though, ive burned plants doing this. It just kicks everything into high gear.

8 Likes

I think this video would be best appreciated in this thread

6 Likes

Kick ass bery nice im in the process ofbturning the garage part of my toy hauler into a grow room built in wiring etc plus central av and heat if needed

1 Like

Not to mention dryer type venting to let exhaust out and fresh air in

1 Like

This is super cool, any more information or threads on the psilocybin mycelium?

1 Like

Hereā€™s the major thread on mushrooms.

To make the living soil, you can use spent cakes from grows, or you can add fresh spawn and grow your living soil. You sort of have to get basic shroom growing down first, because getting the mycelium growing, uncontaminated takes a base level of familiarity.

I would make spawn jars, and then colonize a bunch of coir, then add the colonized spawn/coir combo to your soil and then let it take over the soil. You want carbohydrate in the soil, lots of it for the mycelium, but not so much that your plants get too many nutrients. I err on the slide of too little. You can always add stuff later.

4 Likes

Cool, I was just reading an article on growing it and one thing Iā€™m not sure about is the part you mentioned, once you grow steril cakes with coir, when you mix it into the soil, would you first have to make the soil sterile?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the beauty of it; after you move the cakes to the soil you provide the conditions in which psilocybe mycelium flourish, then, they out-compete other fungi. You can pasteurize the soil, but it isnā€™t necessary. If the conditions are right, and the mycelium is established, there isnā€™t much that can beat it out, provided the soil isnā€™t too carbohydrate heavy and itā€™s not too warm.

5 Likes