Fun with hole diggin

Here we go. Has anyone else had this happen? I was super excited to get going. Have a bunch of living soil going, and all I have to do is dig the holes and fill them. Turns out digging has changed since the early 2000’s. It’s not like. I remember it at all. I will get some more pics up once I get them in the ground.

I cheated and got clones from the store. A Durban kush, a Sunday Supreme, a sour diesel, and a velvet pie #5. My first outdoor since the early 2000’s, so I will be better set up next year.

The small one is an auto flower I was given. It was in bad shock and laying over when I got it. At least it is upright.

25 Likes

Nah, the evil digging has not changed, you have. You got older. lol Digging is the curse of us outdoor growers. Sometimes I feel like all I do is dig in my garden. :joy: :rofl: :herb: :green_heart:

17 Likes

check out a product called power planter dirt auger it digs with a battery powered drill check it out @ post maid by @regulator i believe the post title was twenty first century way to dig holes hope this helps

5 Likes

I’m about to make my first attempt at an outdoor grow this year in ages as I live way up in northern Alberta and reg plants don’t have time to finish before frost kills them.

Got me some auto fems from @Sebring last year, (Earth Lover and Loco-Mota), hoping they get done out there this year. Was hoping to plant on the 1st but still not ready so hopefully by the 7th of June. Wife has given up a section of one of her raised beds so not a lot of digging but it’s only a good foot of soil then clay so I need to turn it over with the roto-tiller and add a bunch of compost and ProMix HP to get it to where I’d like it for pot plants.

Just an 8 x 12’ plot for now but if these things yield decently I’ll be doing triple or more next year for sure! I just got up at 5am and it’s dawn and the lights were still on when I went to bed at 11 last night. Pretty soon it will be 20 hours of light/day so autos will really love that I hope.

Good luck with yours! Hire a local kid to do the digging if you can find one. Not something my old back would want to do. Gave it a bad tweak just a couple days ago putting a bale of ProMix HP in the back of the SUV, Got some EverClear to help with the pain last night but my CBD cocobudder does a better job of that. lol

:peace:

9 Likes

Yup, the ol’back ain’t what it used to be.
I’ve got my autos in pucks…I’m just gonna pop 'em in a hole and spread my gaia green 4-4-4 around…when I’m back in July, I’ll spread the 1-2-4…return weekly to pull weeds and others…hoping some asshole doesnt find them, as I’m planting right in the middle of the city…lol

9 Likes

I have gotten a bit older. Thank God I can still handle it. I’m looking at it as some good exercise right now.

Thanks for the auger idea, but that won’t handle the holes I’m digging. Looks like it would be great for plating once I get all my dirt in.

We have some raised beds, but don’t have the proper setup to comply with regulations. That’s why these are being grown off site. Legally though, finally!

I hope those autos finish ip in time for you. I keep waiting for my son to get in trouble. This time I will sentence him to hole digging instead of taking away the Xbox. Imagine if that got out though. I’m sure I would be punished as an example for making my son dig holes for a pot garden! Good luck in the middle of the city.

6 Likes

Hey @LabRat!
How fast a flower for photo-period do you need in order to be finished before 1st frost?
You are about 58.5N??

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter how much time they take to flower when flowering doesn’t start until mid-Aug. No way even a 7 week plant will finish in time so why I’m going to try the auto fems now.

I’ve been here for 20 years next Feb and should have got into the autos long ago so kicking my ass for not trying before this. I’m going to put the scarified seeds right in the garden and see if they are ready to crop before the end of Aug. Should work but time will tell! lol

I’m going to be using half a raised bed, (8x12’), my wife has been growing garlic, leeks and onions in for the last few years. I’m going to rototill in a 107L bale of ProMix HP, about the same of used ProMix, bale of peat moss and about a bale of well aged chicken/veg compost. Hopefully won’t need to supplement with other nutes. Might add some bone meal and frittered trace elements but I doubt they will need anything more.

Was hoping to plant tomorrow but weather looks like some chilly days for the next week so aiming for the 7th. The ground is still frozen at 12" deep. lol

I’m at 55.08 here with 1922’ ft of elevation.

5 Likes

I like the concept ! Roos can spread and tap into the existing walls and floor of the bed . Let’s call these EARTH POTS patent it and make some serious dough!

2 Likes

and about a bale of well aged chicken/veg compost.

You got that grow covered very nicely!
I’ve had issues in the past with critters digging up fresh bone meal. You might want to mix that in some base soil first.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That’s a hell of a challenge there for outdoor. Maybe an 8 wk flower. photoperiod??
Autos are the only reliable plant.

If OG tries for a fast photo-period you could be critical for outdoor testing.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

We got the critter thing covered pretty good now, Wife has a big chicken coop out there next to my grow plot and the dog freaks out when anything intrudes on the property.

I’ll have netting over the plant sites to keep birds and our 3 cats out of there. Once the plants are big enough I’ll let the chickens in to eat up all the weeds and bugs. They are so happy to get out of the coop and do a great job weeding the veg garden. They seem to love pot leaves so will be keeping a close eye on them when first let out. lol

3 Likes

The Durban kush and Sunday Supreme are going into flower. Does anyone know anything about these strains? I’m going to try to re-veg, but I am super frustrated at this point. All the time and money I have dumped into making living soil! This is not how I remember growing being 18 years ago.

Edit: of course I was mostly using bag seed then also. :joy:

8 Likes

Did you start those inside then put them out and they started flowering? They may just re-veg on their own as the days get longer but I think June 21 is the longest day of the year.

How big are they now? Could just be the right size if left to flower now unless you were aiming big. I haven’t grown either of those strains.

I’m just planting my autos in the dirt outside and see how they do. I’ll be growing more indoors of the same two strains for breeding my fems as soon as the wife gets her tomatoes and peppers out of the spare bedroom. Have plants I want to get flowering in couple weeks in the grow room.

3 Likes

I cheated and bought them. I can’t get the dispensary to reply on the details. They are really that big yet, the largest is about 16 inches or so. I am attempting to re-veg them right now, so I can put them in holes I dug, filled with living soil. I actually started a separate thread, because I didn’t believe I would get any replies on this one. Good luck with those autos. I think I’m don’t with autos. My Mother hasn’t had good luck with them.

2 Likes

Hey there Badger. The soil your digging up looks really pretty good and fairly deep. I guess it depends on how much work you want to do but I would go to your local garden center and buy a 10 dollar bag of 10-10-10 or 12-12-12 lawn fert. Sprinkle it pretty thick in say a 5 ft by 5ft area per plant take your shovel and work it the existing top soil as a base fert and plant without even digging holes. You can grow good weed that way with out much work and all u will need to do is give me a shot of say miracle grow every now and then. Just depends on how much time and money you want to spend and for how long u want to expose yourself at ur spot… Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the idea. I’ve been mixing the good dark topsoil back i with my living soil. It does look pretty good.

Exposure is not a negative. This is all legal, thank God. I don’t enjoy the digging, but I figured it would pay off in the end. These holes should be usable for years as long as I feed the soil properly. Also, I’m only doing organic.

I greatly appreciate the work saving ideas though!!!

5 Likes

Yeah no prob. I’m doing organic this year too for the first time and I’m also legal. It’s crazy how I had this 20 year old secret and now I have my plants in my garden. I’m still trying on blocking them though. I prepped the soil 6 months ago with tons of compost and I’m making these compost teas with composted manure liquid seaweed blood and bone meal wood ash a little molasses and letting it brew for a day in a five gallon bucket. That’s supposed to get the good bacteria living and going. And man my plants look like they wanna jump outta the ground. You just can’t do all that guerilla growing

2 Likes

I assume you are aerating your teas as well?

I know exactly what you mean. I got a large aerator from bass pro shop, and ever since then it seems like i always have it running. I’ve been doing simple recipes so far. Compost and molasses, or worm castings and molasses. I started adding a little kelp in the last batches also.

You’re right! The plants love it man. Plus, having enough water because I’m not having to hike in what I can once a week!

2 Likes

Yeah it sounds like we’re doing the same thing. You are definitely right about the water iv been watering every 3 to 4 days and man do I flood them. One thing I learned about growing pot is lots of water, it seems like once they hit a certain age and size you can’t give them enough water and nutes. And I never had a fancy stream or anything like that during my guerilla growing years. It was all 5 gallon buckets. Ill be honest it was hard and it seemed the farther the plants the harder… now I can do this organically. Iv heard nothing but good things on organic weed from better stronger taste to highs. I’m already a believer in it

2 Likes