What's your Favorite Living Soil Recipes?

Interesting I’ve been looking for something that has sulfur in it as well as mag might just have to incorporate some of this in the outdoor grows this year!

1 Like

Have you been using something like holly tone for awhile now? Something like 1/2-1 cup per cf of soil is normal dose then?

1 Like

My ultimate goal is to get an in- line water filter that takes out the chlorine from citywater I know some of my microbes are dying off this way without one but not all of them but not all of them!

3 Likes

Have used other Espoma products with good results in the past, and coming across this on a random lunch break was really just a bit of serendipity. The ratios are pretty spot on, so up to a cup per cubic foot might work out beautifully, but i went on the low side between 1/4 and a 1/2 cup per cubic foot, just to be safe.
Not sure if the micronutrients are in proper ratios, i guess i should look that up. lol. Like you were saying though, that sulphur was a major selling point for me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m on a good well and don’t have to worry too much.

2 Likes

5% Zeolite
10% charcoal
10% worm castings
15% coco coir
5% diatomaceous earth
10% well composted manure with bull kelp meal
2.5 %Palagonite rock dust
2.5% Volcanic Rock dust
5%Shell grit

I let this sit in tubs for a month and feed it with Nutri-Life Micro-Force.
I also boost it with blood and bone, a fish meal and fulvic and humic acids.

Then remainder is made up of soil loam. Comprised of 40–40–20% sand, silt and clay.

5 Likes

Anyone know what the shelf life is? When I look at getting some they will sell it, but it says Discontinued by Manufacturer. Not sure if I want to risk it as I am starting this brand new.

Thanks

2 Likes

Isn’t the hollytone the exact same as the epsoma soil acidifier? Do a google search for comparison.

2 Likes

lmfao, yeah all of their stuff is made from the exact same six or seven ingredients, and they just change the ratios around.

3 Likes

Don’t apologize for the re-posting! :sweat_smile:

I’m curious what you would do if you were in a different situation with less access to all those goodies and maybe less money(I realize barley isn’t expensive hehe).

Somewhere some time I think BOG had a ‘walmart grow recipe’ … :thinking: damn maybe it was a mircalegrow thing…can’t remember exactly. :blush:

What would your near-zero-investment recipe be…? Something like guerilla conditions, in the limited resources. The Reiko’s Hobo Grow on the side of the tracks from the Mex brick seed. :joy:

:pray: please don’t say coco & 1 part salty nutes! :angel:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I second wanting to know this. And quick fix on a budget. It’s spring here now and I’m gonna be popping a load of your autos today/tomorrow @ReikoX for a little outdoor this year. Naturally I didn’t get round to going prepping my plots over the winter and now everything needs to move fast :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Dude I don’t know what your summers are like but over here in summer it’s like 96F most days for months on end, and all those lethal brown snakes all come out of their winter slumber looking for shit to bite at! It’s like a life and death thing here to get your shit together in the cooler months :joy:
For decent soil you need air space in the root zone, the ability to hold moisture and therefore accessible nutrients, you need it to be friable so the roots can get through it, you need enough nutrients throughout the cycle and you need light and that’s about it. Coco peat is the pick of things, regardless of budget for guerrilla soil improvement in my experience.

So… I like guerrilla growing over all growing, there is just something about get way the heck out of anywhere and setting up a good patch. There are a few tools a tricks my bro and I have used over the years but when it comes to dirt we tend to look for somewhere near a creek, somewhere the soil is mostly silt and clay from flooding over the years. Soils like this tend to be high in nutrients, but can lack structure. Coco peat fixes this. In the cooler months we just cart out the 8kg bales of peat, unwrap them, throw them on the ground and leave them for a few week or till you get decent rain and they will expand and fluff up.
Then for nutrients, if absolute organic is your thing, those slow release pellets of manure, kelp,and guano are the go, if you are not such an organic purist, 6 month slow release granules and kelp for veg, add high phosphorus/potassium guano for flower. That is all I have used for years and have never had nutrient issues.
The other thing that is really useful is one of those augers you can get for a battery drill of ebay. Digging holes sucks, and these things are awesome. Also I take a small tarp for putting on the ground next to the hole, dig onto it, add the coco peat and nutes etc,shake it about and tip it back down the hole. This saves time and mess and mixes it all well.
And when it comes to carting water, a 20l backpack bladder is the go, get them cheap as camping showers off ebay. The ones I have used cost me $10 and have lasted 2 seasons.

5 Likes

I live in Manchester UK. Our summers peak around 24c and last about 3 days :rofl: we only have one venomous snake in our country and I’ve never seen one (Adder)

I did actually stick some photo Durban Poison out last year (next to the river with no amendments) and they almost lasted the season. Almost. This is why I wanted to attempt an auto run this year. I don’t mind having to go and feed to be honest. Gives me a reason to crack the fishing rods out. I’ve still got some megacrop too which I think will be used for these. I just need a really cheap base mix to stick in hole lol. I don’t mind carrying a 20l bucket with my fishing stuff for “livebait” or to mix nutes as be the case. I appreciate the tarp idea. As my paths won’t be well trodden but close ish to walking paths. ( Gonna cross the river in my dinghy)

3 Likes

Sounds like a whole different set of challenges :slight_smile: Well to give you an idea a 5 kg block of coco will do at least 5 good sized plants, give or take depending on what the soil is like. Over there it’s going to be decent I’m figuring compared to this baked part of the earth, so you could even make 5 kg stretch to 8 or even 10 plants. You can fit a 5 kg coco block in a mid size backpack without too much drama and you can saw it to make it fit. Per plant in the hole you woudl put 50g of 6 month slow release, and about the same of guano. If you are returning with any frequency then you can also use other things to feed it when you water. Honestly though, I rarely bother with adjunct feeds anymore because a decent nursery grade 6 month slow release alone with the guano tends to have everything the plant will need, especially for a shorter cycle like you are looking at.

If sativa-ish is your thing, I messed about with some Critical 2.0 and Med Seeds Channel + that were at least a good portion sativa, had nice structure and started and finished flowering early. The C+ especially was a fast finisher and is very tolerant of all sorts of abuse. Some of the AK47 variants may be worth a look also?

3 Likes

The soil definitely isn’t too bad around my spot. I do have some guanokalong guano in a tub. So that should come in handy. I also have the majority of a 5kg Coco block left too but the hydro shop is a short hop from me should I need any more. Never thought of using Coco in a guerilla in all honesty. Just presumed a soil/perlite mix of sorts would do it with a few amendments along the way.
From what I’ve read so far I’m guessing I just wing it and hope for the best but I wanna do reikoX autos justice as there’s a lot of effort and some really good smoke in there

I’m not usually a sativa leaner myself. I like a nice couch locky indica usually. But running purple Badlands indoors right now which is sativa dom. (Still couch locky though) not too fond of the AKs had 47 and 48

3 Likes

I truly believe one can get away with the bare bone minimum of @ReikoX (s) starting mix above with a bit of rock dust for an entire cycle, compost and/or worm castings has to be of the highest quality IMO and maybe top dress a couple times more in a 3 month periods

3 Likes

This is what I “knew” before getting into Cannabis growing. :smile:

via Elliot Coleman “New Organic Grower”

and I found the BOG’s old recipe for Walmartian survival:

6 Likes

Imo if the area around your area you plan to grow has veggitation and the sort I’ll bet it’s pretty good to start with that soil hasn’t been distrubed for probably hundreds of years and there’s biodiversity in the soil already and has good structure I might add also that a cover crop would aid also in fixing N and help further in soil structure some of those cover crops can get their root down 15-20 feet+

3 Likes

I try not to support Miracal grow at all or any of their products for who they been affiliated in past or present.

5 Likes

Same here & for other reasons too possibly but I’m just curious what @ReikoX’s desperation mix would be. For someone who’s isolated & lacks resources, no on-line ordering etc., maybe access to a big box store or a tractor-supply catalog.

An analogy using food would be fresh wholesome meal vs. frozen microwaved burrito… :laughing: :zap: :burrito: :biohazard:

2 Likes