What's your Favorite Living Soil Recipes?

That looks a lot like this excellent instructable which could easily be adaptable for a trailer.
Trailer grows are new to me, gotta read up, thanks.

I made a box just like the instructable for tomatoes and am amazed at its performance and ease of use.
It offers an ideal growing environment for root growth.

Not to jinx anyone but am I the only one who gets mold on indoor fabric pots?
Spray downs with H2O2 mixes have to be constantly repeated.
?

2 Likes

Hey Sapceyā€¦

Thanks for thisā€¦I will be making my trailer into a No-Till Machine haha. The beds are a must.

I have never used a material pot beforeā€¦Always the hard sided onesā€¦So I have not had the mold problem with themā€¦

I will be doing a better description of my trailer set-up, and filling in the info about what I did with it. It started out as an 18ft travel trailer, with a rotted out floorā€¦A couple sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, some sheeting and Bobā€™s your uncleā€¦

There is a couple of pics of my trailer in my Grow Diary here : Dank Den Diary's

It is not as tidy as I usually keep things in the pic, as I was dealing with dialing everything in, and was dealing with electrical problems haha.

Regards,

K.

3 Likes

NICE!
Iā€™m trying to grow the legal max (12) in two small tents that would probably best hold 1 mature plant each.
Naturally Iā€™ll pare the runts out but your set up has me all googoo eyed.
:nerd:

1 Like

Myself and two of my other friends do the trailer deal to be low key, and have the rooms outside of our houseā€¦For obvious reasonsā€¦It is so ā€œnormalā€ looking nobody thinks twiceā€¦Plus it is portableā€¦If you need to move, you can move it with you, without having to tear down, and build againā€¦Or lend it to friends (which I am doing for a bit)ā€¦If you want to know more, I will be adding to my Diary as soon as I find time haha. I have been very busy as of late.

K.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesomeā€¦I hope it does well for Reikoā€¦I would love to only feed water, and get weight hahaā€¦That type of info could be deadly to have (see water run engines)ā€¦You might want to keep it on the down low @ReikoX hahaā€¦

K.

2 Likes

How do you remove the membrane? All the egg shells seemingly have it glued on?

Also, in regards to your recipe, do you do any special mixing?
Or are your pots homogeneous?

I think itā€™s brilliant, and a perfect solution with a sizeable grow room.
Security might be a problem, they are fairly easy to break into, remote areas especially. My buddy had one for hunting, only kept an old radio in it.
But in the yard :joy:

1 Like

I do eggshells for the dog. The easiest way to remove the membrane is to rub the inside of the shell half while under running water.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give it a try tomorrow.

Amazing how quick egg shells accumulate if youā€™re studious about collecting, I filled a quart mason jar over the winter alone after crushing in the garden purposed blender.
It helps that my wife likes to bake :cookie::cake:

One question: Why remove them at all?

Youā€™re right. I use a gallon ziploc bag and it takes no time to fill it. Once itā€™s full, I put them on a baking sheet in the oven and grind them up.

As to removing the membrane, I was told to, by my vet. He said that this is where the bacteria can get trapped. It just always made sense to me anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks.
I imagine they stink in the oven too.
Over winter I dry them over my wood stove, summer they go in the woodshed.

2 Likes

You got that right, nothing but RO water. I did give them Recharge a couple times and Mammoth P once. They are doing great.

7 Likes

Rinsing under water, itā€™s a PITA. Now I just grind them and toss them in my worm bin.

2 Likes

Do you put worms IN the soil or just use the castings? I have heard folks say they put worms in with their plants. My only thought is, what would they eat.

Another thought, will this recipe work for raised beds outside? I know you would need a shite load, but it might be worth it?

4 Likes

There are no worms added, just the castings. Though Iā€™m sure some worms make it in there.

This recipe is designed for a single use in containers. I would consider something more like the Coots recipe for an outdoor bed.

1 Like

So I couldnā€™t use this continually as no till? Being that I am going to switch to large pots, outside (on dollies to hide from the man), I am looking for something I can leave the root ball and plant a new set of plants, without changing anything. What do you recommend, your old recipe (1:1:!) with the amendments?

3 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the Clackamass Coots recipe. Itā€™s much better suited for no-till.

3 Likes

Theirs worms in all my shit! Oh that sounds sick maybe I need to go get checked out by a doctor! Lol in all seriousness peeps who raise their own worms and use the castings itā€™s almost impossible to get the cocoons out so yes most pots will probably have a few here and there.

4 Likes

Is this the recipe you are talking about for No-Till? If so, I have a few questions:

1. It has ā€œBarley Teaā€ and Coconut Water Tea" as Once a Week. If you feed every three days, you will always be giving one or the other and never straight water.

2. Biochar - can I use ground charcoal (not briquettes) until I can make some?

3. Silica - You have 15ml, but isnā€™t it a powder/crystal? Do you mean 15mg?

4. I have perlite, would it be okay to use perlite/rice hull mix? what would you recommend as a ratio?

2 Likes

I usually do every other day, water, feed, water, feed. Lately I just give them what I ā€œfeel likeā€.

Yes, real wood lump charcoal will work. You need to ā€œchargeā€ it first. I soak mine in fish fertilizer for about a week then drain and dry it.

I mix the Agsil16H with water using the directions on Buildasoil. This is the equivalent of ProTeKt (which you could use if you prefer). It should be 5ml/gal not 15ml.

Perlite is fine, it tends to float up to the top though. Rice hulls are good, they tend to break down though. Pumice is great, but the only small stuff I found was expensive. I have even used lava rock, but itā€™s a tad big.

If all you have is perlite, go for it. It will work just fine. If you can get the rice hulls, try 60% perlite and 40% rice hulls. The rice hulls make a very clean looking mulch too. :+1::seedling:

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Hope that helps.

5 Likes