Whats your process for choosing a mother plant?

First off ill start this by saying ive never taken a clone before only grown from seed a couple times. I have 8 seedlings I plan on flowering. I would like to keep the best of the batch for a mother plant, I’m thinking i take clones from each plant sometime during late veg and grow the clones out till i smoke my harvest and decide what one i like best. The winners strongest clone would then be the mother?

Either that or ive heard some people re veg a plant but ive never done that before either. Interested in people’s opinions on the best way to go about it.

10 Likes

Hey @Neb. Welcome to the forum. I would take clones and number them. Then yes smoke the harvest and find your momma. Also consult your friends on making the decision based on how it smokes. My friends will be straight up honest. And they are usually comparing it to commercial grade product (at least in my area).
Revegging is not the way. Its a last resort. Dont do that to yourself. If you want to keep a terpene profile at a certain stage in flower you want revegg early on the clone that you found it in. It will amplify that terp. If you wait until its close to harvest then you will get the very last terp change. You will find that if you let your plant go past peak harvest time, terpenes will often be much different then they were at peak harvest. This is extremely relative of the strain and/or clone that you choose. Some will change alot, some wont. Its more of a warning.
But if done right, on the right strain, at the right time then the results can amaze you in the long run.

Your first idea is best and much less work.

7 Likes

Grow from cut not seed. Pop as many seeds as possible. The plants don’t show their true expressions or character growing from seed.

Most of it is personal preference and the meta has changed many times throughout the years.

You have to ask yourself what is important to you in a plant and what you want to get out of it.

3 Likes

Hey welcome… I usually run 10 of the same strain and select the best one at harvest based on smell and look. Then reveg it…

8 Likes

I highly recommend this thread: Bonsai Mums by Oldtimer1

11 Likes

Definitely run from cuts of your seed plants, and run them more than once to really be able to choose which is the best. Depending on how much variation is in the line you’re running you may find more than one that you want to keep.

2 Likes

This and always take cuts.

Sucks to find and smoke a killer pheno and lose it because you didn’t think it was worthy. Reveg isn’t always a guarantee.

3 Likes

Pretty much what i do. I usually clone all females and keep the best ones clones n run clones off of it til i lose it.

3 Likes

OP, this isn’t true.

It’s better to have a clone ready than trying to reveg, but revegging works fine if you have to.

Take 2 clones off every plant you intend to flower, it’s better to have a backup if one doesn’t take.

10 Likes

I believe we have this discussion before. I dont intend to reopen the scab. Have a good day.

1 Like

Just want to mention that I don’t usually take cuts from ALL the plants I grow out from the very beginning. Since you can successfully take cuts on the same exact day you harvest, you can save space by not wasting your time on obvious loser plants. The closer you get to the harvest day, the better you can judge which ones you want to keep.

I’m not saying you should wait until harvest day to make clones, I am just saying, you might not want to take cuts from every single plant, and instead wait a little while.

1 Like