When did you first see a gravity bong?

I was a bit bored the other night, and I decided to be silly and make a gravity bong. I haven’t smoked one since high school, but they were certainly a part of our toker culture when I was a kid.

My mom is from the 60’s era, and had never seen one. My girlfriend is 25 and grew up with legal weed for most of her life. She had never seen one either. They were both amazed and baffled.

I googled it and nobody had any info about the origin, except that they got popular in the 90’s. I was surprised. I just figured that they had been around since the 70’s.

Does anyone remember seeing one before the 90’s?

12 Likes

Same as you brother, likely was around the start of high school & was very much a big part of the culture them days, basically if you haven’t done a gravity bong most people helped change that lol

Don’t have the lungs on me to be doing that anymore haha.

10 Likes

Yep high school for me too, late 90s/early 2000’s.

Ol’ 5 gallon bucket and all but the bottom of a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle :wink: haven’t done one of those in like 20 years :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

High school…juice pitcher and a 2 liter bottle with a socket piece as a bowl and tinfoil for a screen. Was soo deadly…lol. Eventually a friend made a “lung” (as we called it) with a bread bag taped to the 2 liter (no need for water) so we could take it skateboarding with us and get all buggered downtown…lol.

8 Likes

First saw/used a gravity bong at UC Santa Barbara at a house in Isla Vista…plastic empty gallon milk jug with bottom cut out in a full kitchen sink, 1986, watching a Mike Tyson fight and listening to Guns & Roses…

11 Likes

We did it this way also, way nicer without all the water and you don’t have to huddle around a bucket or bath tub. Lol

3 Likes

My older brother taught me how to make one when i was 12 or 13 years old. Lol. He was a bad influence.

4 Likes

Early 90’s for me also, in high school.
I know people now that still don’t know what one is…

4 Likes

Yepback in the early 80 s before i went into the Corps my yoinger brother showed me it was a 2 litre bottle and a 1 litre bottle the 2 liter chamber with smoke romove the bowl and slam the one liter into the 2 litre liter had the top cut off and the 1 litre had the bottom cut off you filled the 2 liter about 2/3 full of water and put a bowl.on top of the one liter snout light it while 1 liter is in side the 2 liter and draw the 1 litre up and fill the 1 litre with the smoke and boom come sail away

Peace out and stay safe

3 Likes

I also made DIY gravity bongs when times were tough and I didnt have $ for sticks and papers or a pipe. 5gal bucket and cut a 2liter bottle. The best option when you needed to make a lil go a long way.

3 Likes

Done this many times, ohhh memories…
Maybe this is how the Volcano evolved?

2 Likes

Gravity bongs also take me back - smoking in the 90s in highschool. Usually one we’d ghetto rig somewhere we definitely should NOT have been smoking.

I miss them too, need to bust that out again sometime soon for pure nostalgia, but that huge jet of smoke just melts face!

4 Likes

High school early 2000’s. Still use one to this day, but recent one is a wine bottle with bottom cut off and has a glass on glass piece for the bowl. Too fragile with moving it around though, so went back to a stiff plastic bottle.

3 Likes

Late '99 went to a friends house and he had heard about and made one that day :joy: i took 1 rip and was the most uncomfortably high ive ever been. I remember just sitting looking at my knees feeling my whole body reverberate like i was on shrooms… Good times

3 Likes

Living in Australia, water is a precious commodity, so the 1st time I used one,
it was a luxury, it didn’t take long before we started recycling the water after usage with a bucket or similar.
We used whatever available,
one of my favourites was smoking through an apple, quite tasty, unless you were the last person to use it :rofl:

4 Likes

2006 basement of the apartment building/house i lived in. Buch of punk rock kids in the basement using the wash sink with a 3 liter bottle minus its bottom. Lots crazy times and alot of overkill for most of us but was a blast.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yeah, kids can get stoned way to easily now days! The first time I smoked some friends showed up at my house with a quarter of Reggie and a big Sherlock tobacco pipe with the filter taken out, it took like two hours for the 3 of us to smoke the whole quay in 3 bowls! I felt like the couch was giving me a massage!

No days they screw a little oil cart on a pen or rip a dab. None of them have any idea how to roll a joint, well maybe a few. But think about it. They never had to cuz they have pre-rolls and disposable stuff. Crazy! I saw mushroom chocolates that are being sold out shops somewhere now also! Nice!

3 Likes

1998 2-liter in a pitcher of water. Literally coughed my face off after my first hit, never needed a second but they were definitely taken lol.

2 Likes

…at bespoke party, we took it a few steps too far, I believe I ate chow-mein with vanilla ice-cream & cap-n-crunch cereal, tried to smoke a bongload of cereal, came home with facial art(chiefed). :neutral_face:
watched one dude take a whole clove cigarette through the gravity bong in one hit. :nauseated_face: x1000 he spent a couple of minutes at the window, murmuring in a death-voice “air… I need air…”, while we laughed like hyenas. :+1:

Ah, youth. :man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes