When do Breeders sell their seed?

btw, we are enjoying growing your genetics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I only hoped would be the case! I have been on an ‘OverGrowTheWorld’ mission for my whole life! lol

I’ll be 75 in another 2 months
Being born and raised on a gorilla op Ganja farm, I’ve actually been involved with Ganja truly my whole life! lol
Long before the internet or OG, lol

13 Likes

Sorry to hear that, I just received my pack of tester seeds from brothers grimms November long seed sale. I found out about it from OG and other members that put me on and got a pack of 9 feminized headband 99 seeds shipped to me for $20, might be a good cheap option if you’re looking

2 Likes

That’s pretty awesome. I’m 55 and remember all the columbian and Mexican my step-dad would get in the 70s.
I remember the 1st seedless bud that I seen early 80s. Nice pine smell and taste.

1 Like

Yeah. I got some of his Uber wench

1 Like

Aqesome, I’ll be looking forward to seeing your grow of it

1 Like

Everybodies different. You have to research what the breeders do imo. Lots of people just make a cross and sell seeds before they are even dry.

I folllow Dj’s advice and test the parents by smoking. Then make the seeds. Then grow them out, usually 2 or 3x. They have to be as good or better than the parents or they get thrown out. Then report growth traits to expect from the seeds. Then they get released. On a simple cross that works out, it takes usually at least 1.5 years. For my ibl and flagship lines, it took 5 to 6 years before releasing.

8 Likes

Breeders generally don’t manage the production directly, it’s the job of the production units or the company where the genetic is sold.It can be dispatched homegrown setups (most of the time) or more large operations outsourced from far (grey area zones).

For little labels, i guess you will have one answer per case.

Depend on strains actually. On some you can directly pull the seeds from the calyx and sow it. On others, it’s just a pain in the ass to have a decent germination rate. But it’s all about the mother used and what she eat.

There is also a parameter to take in count, it’s the full maturity. The one directly leading to the death of the plant. On some strains it can represent 200% of the “harvest peak” used to harvest weed at the sweet spot (potency).

So when you’re at the end of the life of the seeded plant, many parameters are actually never met by an usual grow : oil production, degradation of the trichomes, stock of nutrients in leaves that will be never processed fully etc …

By example, you obviously don’t prepare the same way a dry-as-fuck bud of a tall lady and a very oily and very slippery bud of a fat-short lady. I use the caricature on purpose.

Mostly on marketing, and it’s only recently that i saw exemplar little labels clearly indicating the year and sometimes the month of the harvest when they sell the seeds. If customers were a bit more concerned by the freshness of what they buy, it will change a cascading shit ton of things. For the better i mean.

Now it’s not a big deal to take 100 seeds and to germinate them to make a %. You don’t have to grow them.
For a stock below of one year age, it’s not specially critical to do for a strain not specially known for bad germinations. But necessary for old stock of the bottom of the drawer.

I’ve no opinion on it, for me everything revolve on how you’re feeding your mothers and how far you push them in maturity even with difficult lines.

^^ seriously ? Look at the texture and the colors of the seeds (that can be distinguished from one strain to another, beside the caliber) : it’s simply the negative footprint of interior of the flower it come from.

15 years ago an old fart hermit showed me a simple demonstration with outdoor plants from the same clone. Since, i dry the buds until the seeds barely fall themselves from the buds by the retraction.

Legit, but trap-question. This is very contextual in fact.

lol I went with short answers to questions, but I see some have dived a bit deeper into em here. I agree with both. @Josh_Blue on time-frame… for instance Frankenstein took me just over 5yrs total. Thunder Rose is another example, she took almost 2yrs. I usually spend around 1-1.5yrs on any simple cross.@Fuel describes the whole process in a lot more detail, with good points. But truthfully, there are probably hundreds of paths used to reach similar goals, of having good beans to share!

edit… If I’m only doing a seed-run on a particular strain (like Frankenstein) that I have been growing for over 25 yrs straight, as a clone only. Just in the past couple years starting making Fem seeds. Then I just take the nicest clones… one to reverse and one to pollinate.

5 Likes

+from what I understand It’s a very big proces and takes yr’s
first one has to breed it , breed it maks F-1’s + (year at least to find your pheno)
Then one must get testers - this is done thru forums, ect (years at least)
Then you approach a seed “Bank” and must have at least 25-50 to backs and then you get a %
Once a plant has produced seeds there are many that will be discarded

1 Like

Can’t resist, in the hope it help some to have a less blurry sight of the game.

I preach against my church but not necessary in fact. The “one shot” model have proven it’s efficiency with the market, by far i must admit. Staying constant with this kind of strategy is a true challenge, at least for the renewal but still valid when made smartly. And with fems in the equation … it’s a true debate to take another way.

Not much winners in this kind of rush against unstable waves of demand, but a fews decent players are lasting/have lasted at it.

I will have more friends with this comment again lol, but the only one able to really test the line is the breeder or its (very) close crew. Because they know the plants on a wide initial panel that none customers/final user can evaluate. Also stoners are in general stubborn as fuck, it’s very rare when they follow the recommendation of the breeders to obtain the maximum potential. But not rares to complain afterward after have ignored everything ^^

Knowing if the plants grow well : You’re not supposed to need anyone to set it, before.
Knowing if the weed is good : If you need to know it, what’s the purpose of making these seeds lol
etc …

So yes, testers are not really testers. Most of the time it’s more about a territory game, the more tents with your label inside, the better. On the number, you will mechanically have more people happy that the reverse.

A valuable test is to choose a specific ground that the plant must resist : mold, specific pest outdoor, low sun exposure etc … but it’s not even testing, it’s breeding for resistance and using feedbacks on the best pairing to do, afterward.

So yeah … in practice “testers” are something else. And to make the show, better to show a grow done by the breeder … it will be difficult to obtain better plants that the creator of the line ^^

Now, in term of community i don’t say it’s useless. But the reverse, i say that it’s far more important for this use that for breeding.

I guess you mean retailers. If you’re little and unknown, you generally assume the depot and have to wait after the sales. Also to offer freebies (sic) to “press in” the doors. I prefer the strategy of the “testers” over this one personally. More efficient in a saturated market.

If your label is asked, retailers contact you and order seeds directly. Or wholesalers when you’re around since a while and reliable (with a structure for bills, VAT etc… ). At this step generally one order call another, like dominos.

You have also the universe of white labels, the volumes are big and it’s a good fire test on your methods.

Needless to say that if the stoner’s dramas are harmless, if you screw with a retailers, a wholesaler of a big distributor … it’s like having “dodge me” engraved in your face for good. Not the same punishment at all.

Let’s say that you need a motherplant of the pollen donor and of the pollen receiver to enter in production.

Now if it’s about the selection, it don’t have really an utility if you’re a “one shooter”. Generally a single pollen donor (or the reverse, the same female cut) is used until the point that exploring the catalog is pointless or too similar with another offer more cheap or more “noisy” or both.

Entering in selection without the goal to maintain it or to refine it, don’t have much sense. So it’s not about one year. But a bit more than this …

11 Likes

Great info !!! glad that some one knows about this “subject”

2 Likes