So I breed me some GG4 and Zkittlez and charge $10 a seed?

Just how do some of these breeders justify their prices? It seems if you’re a real known Brand… yeah you can ride some hype as well as maybe turning out some great gear.
But for the love of God, I see 100 seed breeders at some of these banks, and most of these pollen chuckers are asking $10 seed and no history.
Some names are 10+ years old, maybe closer to 20. You can feel at least they may have put in the time and work. Most of the work I see, appears to be finding a unique name for their herm prone strains.

" This is Blackz DAWG Vanilla Nuclearz Cookeez… straight up 40% THC " Go to grow diaries. Strain doesn’t produce any weight at all, herms, tests 12% THC.

10 Likes

I have gotten some seeds thru the mail before and they were very very old and some had holes with bugs inside the seeds, mites stuck to the sticky packaging and some had already started to crack open!! Must have been a humid day when they were packing them. So be careful with the gifts you receive they might have more than your expecting!!

6 Likes

:rofl:

I actually love me some GorillaZkittles from Barney’s :blush: California preferences all day long

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Even with established known strains there’s gonna be variation . Even the way it’s grown can & will make a difference . End of the day , it’s all about selection anyway . I hear you on the flavor of the day shit , but as long as indica-dom hybrids with frost , bag appeal , yield & less than 10wks flowering IS the market aint nothin’ changing . Chances are if they got 60 offerings based around 2 - 3 males you don’t want their shit .

4 Likes

Well…if the people buy it at that price, if the market supports it… the market determines the value. If the market doesn’t buy it at that price, then the price will come down, but as long as the market buys high…

8 Likes

Given that I can get at least 2oz a plant which saves me at least $400 retail $15, which is usually my limit per seed, is a drop in the bucket. Just me personally

4 Likes

I can see it both ways, on the one hand a whole plants busted down to $10+ seeds seems like quite a margin, but on the other hand good for anyone tryin to make a buck. the value from a single seed once thats busted down to buds is also pretty wild: the math on $50$1/8s 🫠🫠🫠🫠

generally I’ve been happy with my seed purchases and find value in an available market

2 Likes

This :arrow_up: Supply and demand.

…and this :arrow_up: for me.

5 Likes

Any strain that only yield 2 oz is a dud in my book, don’t get me started on these wimpy mini hermi prone plants where every plant is different and none have enough yeild to make it worthwhile. I would bet the farm you would make better seeds yourself bro,most so called commercial ‘breeders’ seem to just make shit up as they go along.

2 Likes

2oz 12-18” tall plant, I’ll still take it, but plenty of companies out there to sell you mids for $2 or $3 a seed if you’re into that✌️

2 Likes

Fair enough, I haven’t bought seeds for years, new stuff I usually get via trades or I make them, I’m mostly outdoors so I find I can make plants more suited to my environment if I breed them. I’m eyeing off some of CSI’s stuff though.

Yeah seeds are a crap shoot any way you look at it… at 10$+ a seed, makes it hard to hunt 1000 and find the best the line has to offer :joy:

I say buy a few packs and work them yourself, best value imo

Ps: skip the hype, get something sturdy

7 Likes

Agreed, I have listened to enough pot casts now to know that even the best breeders don’t seem to know more about it that a lot of members here.

3 Likes

Knowledge only goes so far, the maths behind a grand slam cut or line is usually astronomical…

I used to be kinda pissed at some of the results I had with commercial packs. Now chucking myself I realize how much of a cash wormhole breeding can be… runs after runs, hundreds of plants, nutrients, electricity bill etc

At what point is it OK to release an incomplete project to possibly ease the burden ?
Tough call

6 Likes

About an f4 I reckon, stable enough that you will get some consistency, enough variation that you can do a hunt. The issue is that there is no way to avoid the work, and even if you do the work there is no guarantee that come up with something worthwhile. I get the financial pressures to release and sell to recoup the costs etc.
I also get the logic that goes: S1 cross two elite cuts and there is a pretty decent chance the outcome will be decent, on the other hand it’s probably why people are getting so many hermies.
If you have the space, it’s not particularly difficult to make your own stuff every bit as good as you can buy imho but it all comes down to numbers.

5 Likes

Yeah well f4 seem like a good point but only works when crossing already somewhat homogeneous lines. Hunting landraces, wild - straight from origin landraces, maybe 1/300 is worth a damn :joy:

Then there’s the issue of said hermies… those cuts picked up favorable traits because for some messed up reason hermies are easier to lock traits onto.

Stabilizing a line often end up with upping the average but erasing the extremes which is exactly where you hunt for gg cuts.

More stable, less variance, can’t survive outside 22*c 62% rh room.

You can’t win.

6 Likes