When should I put clones outside?

I’m no expert but I accidentally screwed up some clones by putting them outside without weening them off artificial light hours. I believe if you lower the light cycle by 15 mins every few days until you reach outside light hours they will be fine.

Holy sunlight, Batman! Where do you get 16 hours of sun? We only get up to like 14 and change in Southern Cali. I get mine started by 13 hrs outdoors here.

5 Likes

lowering the light cycle 15 min every day is a good idea, but they also need to be hardened off to the sun . it is alot brighter than hid’s and can burn those young leaves. i always set them out in a bit of shade for a week or so before planting. bringing them in at night if it’s too cold still. this will ensure they have less issues when in the full sun. the full moon is on june 3rd ,this year so will probably be going in the ground by the weekend after that. weather permitting.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone one thing im still unsure of do i need artificial lighting inside before they are ready to go out or are the plants fine sitting in my window until i move them out

1 Like

These girls seem to be doing alright there on close to 16 hours a day with day light supplementation however they may flip then flip back to veg who know that’s what I’m thinking no biggy I like experimentation

1 Like

Canada lol, I am in Nova Scotia, we are probably the most southerly point in Canada so we get less light a day compared to the rest but not a significant amount. We hit 16 hours a day mid May. Then after June 21st 22nd the equinox hits and we start losing light.

When growing outside in the UK we never got to see buds, because the light doesn’t drop until October enough to trigger flowering. In Scotland it never really gets dark in August.

4 Likes

So does anyone know if i need artificial light indoors before they go out in june or is sitting in the window fine before they get moved outside?

If it was me I would have them under artificial light, if you’re sun light times are less than 16 hours ( to be on safe side) which is now, they will need supplemental light of any kind. The more light you have the better they will do. You might scrape without triggering flowering hormones without it, ATM we are on that edge at 14 hours a day.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! So I must wait until having 16 hours of sunlight to take outdoors my Frisian Duck’s (actually with 16/8 indoors) or they will start flowering, interesting … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well not exactly, these are the safe limits, like 12/12 is guaranteed to trigger flowering. 16/8 is the safe point for not. If you put them out in 14 hours from 16 they will start to prepare, to go into flower. It’s a gradual process.

You don’t want to stress the plant and cause a possible hermie, by chopping backwards and forwards with light amounts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies i think im gonna get a cabinet and put some LED bulbs and a fan to keep them in till they can go out… Any idea whats a good dimension size to house them in till then? Its gonna be 4 plants… Sorry if I’m a pain in the arse just trying to learn and doing searches haven’t gotten me far

3 Likes

If they are clones they will need artificial light depending on how much sunlight you have. You will have to find out how much light they were given when you get them, my guess is they were at 18/6… So yes! Until you match them with the hours of real daylight slowly. Then you could put them in the window, until they are ready to go out, but I wouldn’t leave them there. Window plants will yield like shit and get really spindly.

1 Like

@Shadey the clones I screwed up by throwing outside without weening off artificial life never hermied. They just prematurely budded, 5 of which ended up revegging. I had 12, so it was an expensive lesson.

@rob0781 IMO clones for outdoors if you are a newbie is not an easy first task. I suggest starting them from seed. That way you could veg them in the window for a little bit before putting them outside. Also, if you have early rainy fall, I suggest growing autos outside that way you don’t risk powdery mildew etc… before they are finished.

2 Likes

Good point, around here everyone I know who grows outside gets bud rot to varying degrees in the fall.

Not a problem you only learn from asking questions.

For 4 plants to get ready for outside, you could get away with a 2x2 ft tent. I would go 4x4 ft because once you start to grow you will want to grow 24/7 365. Always get more than you need, it’s future proofing your grow lol. For lights get a cheap Chinese led 600w they are more like a 400w in reality for a 2x2 or a 1000w for a 4x4 90$ eBay. They are good for vegging never used mine for flowering.

4 Likes

Needed possibly not, but will it help definitely, considering if you have a southern facing window and can throw them under a couple of screw in led light bulbs just to augment them a little till you can plant outside then you should be good.

Really if or once its warm enough to plant outside is all your waiting for.

Just consider some strain many not finish in time for our latitude, but thats where quicker finishing or auto’s come in handy.

4 Likes

Hey bud,
I’m just below u in Maine. U should start them asap if u want a good crop. I start mine indoors ( seeds) Jan 1st +/- couple days. I start 60, 5 different strains of 12 seeds of each. I keep them in my veg room with lights, lights on 18 hours and off 6 hours. I keep only the best females and take clines off them when they get big enough. U Dont want to run just any seeds or clones. Do ur homework and get varietals that will finish in time. I have some 15 year old crosses that are tried and true for Maine’s outdoor and finish by sept 15th. U need something like this my friend. If u can’t find d any lmk I will get u some for free.

3 Likes

I agree start early, pick and yield a few clones if you can. Strain focus for sure. long taking sensitive strains rarely survive unexpected coldness… So I am one year bitten ( wrong strain last year.) and this year prepared. Friesland Indica Time tested ( I mean that two ways. Famous for mastering Quebec winters and I also tested my seeds budding speed.inside. It smells like crazy. I have 5 under a dim able 600hps ( at 400w now) and side lighted with 2, 4ft, Double blue florescent tubes. I may be even better prepped next year, with twice or thrice as many smelly beasts and I was wondering what other quick strains perhaps less stank ( I mean the freeze doesn’t even try to smell like fruit or lavender, it’s smells like weed/nervous skunk bum. lol

Hate to be that guy, lol.

Nothing but :heart:, no offense.

That should cover the question if anyone has one.

1 Like

and don’t put them on a sunny deck, learned that last year. I was only doing 30min -1hr intervolds, and introduction to the sun, the fabric pots were kinda ok the plastic grow bagged plants roots fried and all year those plants did poorly. .

1 Like

This is good infor for this time of year. I’d rather put out clones that are pretty sexed than feel with seeds unless they’re fem.

1 Like

I got 5 Friese female, 21-29 " tall. They wake up with the sun. soon as the sky gets less dark, 5 am and a bit. sun is going down now. 8:13 pm.
last frost recorded in my hardiness zone May 11-20
By my count outside is still almost 12 hours dark. I guess I am stuck leaving them inside for a few more weeks.