2-4D herbicide. Dont shoot me

I’d start at 1/100th herbicidal concentration and start from there. If no effects are observed in a week, keep increasing the concentration until you find a sweet spot.

2,4 D is a broadleaf herbicide, and pesticide, that has been widely used since the 1940’s.

It has low toxicity to humans, but can cause eye irritation, due to the salts/acid compounds found in it. It’s moderately toxic to birds/mammals, slightly toxic to fish/aquatic invertebrates and nontoxic to honeybees.

2,4D is half the ingredients found in Agent Orange. 2,4D and 2,4,5T mixed together makes Agent Orange.
2,4,5T has high dioxin levels and is the one that has been found to cause cancer, and other health problems, in humans… 2,4D does not contain these dioxins.

4 Likes

I’m sorry guys, I read it top to bottom. There are solid arguments on both sides to evaluate…

But I have a question I can’t answer… "Why?" :upside_down_face:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Along the same line of thinking, if we already know the compound works by overstimulating auxin, wouldn’t it be easier to get a few synthetic auxins? Indole Acetic Acid, Indole Butyric Acid, Naphthalene Acetic Acid. There’s probably a bunch I don’t know the name of, as well.

3 Likes

Doesn’t gibberellic acid do something like “uncontrollable growth”?

I’ve heard of people spraying with that on a mom so they can get more clones. Not sure it would help in flower stage though.

2 Likes

I get the why from the research project point of view… :nerd_face:
TL:DR (Sciencey Nerdy shit) :crazy_face:

but would you actually consider it?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Maybe I want to play god… lol

2 Likes

Anyone remember paclobutrazol and daminozide? Growth regulators that made huge dense buds but the buds were of subpar quality. You’ve had it before if you’ve bought enough bags, guaranteed.

Maybe there’s something out there that can deliver bigger yields, faster flower time, increased resin production, etc. without negatively impacting quality.

2 Likes

I’m 100% with that. Lmao.

Check out this site;
www.planthormones.info/

The reason people use kelp, coconut water, sprouted seed teas, and aloe is exactly the same idea. They push hormone levels, specifically auxin giberrellic acid and cytokinins up to incresse growth. To the extent that you keep hormone levels within reasonable ranges, and the nutrition is available to support the growth, there’s no negative effects at all.

The same goes for the synthetic phytohormones. If you can increase the right hormones at the right times, you can completely control growth.

1 Like

But that’s not nearly as twisted as using poison lol. I’m not a nice god… sick and twisted is more like it

1 Like

I was thinking that this chemical has been banned in certain states but maybe not, should be IMO I remember as a kid the stuff my parents had 40+ years smelled of death.

1 Like

I remember Gravity and some other products being pulled in CA because they contained paclobutrazol (unlisted on the label!) which is only approved for ornamentals. I ended up tossing an expensive bottle of Gravity. Perhaps that is why I have reacted negatively here. I’m all for experimenting and I’m as curious as anyone what will happen when various different chemicals are used. However, I personally only want to smoke organic weed (preferably my own!). And I worry that things like this are a bit of a Pandora’s Box. What if the experiment works? How long until unscrupulous companies like Humboldt County’s Own begin adding it to their products in secret or cash croppers in states with no testing start using it? You can argue that all of this crap is safe, but unless you have data on what it breaks down into when burned, I don’t want it in my weed.

4 Likes

For anyone who wants to read about the old paclobutrazol controversy: Marijuana Growers HQ Plant Growth Regulators Poison Marijuana - Marijuana Growers HQ

I don’t agree with the article in describing this stuff as poison, but it is pretty interesting nonetheless.

(Emerald Triangle Products referred to in the article now seems to go by Humboldt County’s Own.)

2 Likes

Interesting read @BCC Thanks. :+1: :sunglasses:

The EPA has been compromised by corporate interests (IMO). But if the Europeans don’t like the stuff - that’s good enough for me!

PGRs are just one reason I grow my own.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

i would not put 24 d on anything i was planning on putting in my body.

Well, I will chime in since I seem to collect PGRs that are sometimes registered as pesticides for my tissue culture work.

Let’s take a step back and think about how plant research happens.

You see something that has a “typical” auxin molecular structure so you try it in varying concentrations on your target plants. You actually luck out when some die and some have explosive growth based linearly on concentration.

The result then allows one to take the strong concentration, register it as a pesticide and call it “weed killer” and the low concentration and call it an auxin (PGR).

2,4-D is an auxin that can support organogenesis and callus formation at low concentrations

6 Likes

So you’re saying it’s potentially “possible”?

2 Likes

No, I will not say that it will cause “uncontrolled growth” but as an auxin 2,4-D is widely used as a broadleaf weed killer as well as in tissue culture protocols to promote cell division and elongation.

Remember ole’ Paracelsus? Well, he said (in summary) that it is the dose that makes the poison.

High 2,4-D kills plants and Low 2,4-D acts like a hormone.

2,4-D WILL mimic IAA.

3 Likes