Colchicine Testing on Cannabis

hmm?

I just heard DJ Short talking about colchicine & variegated leaves in potcast28… says that mutagenic treatment like colchicine kills most of the plants but the survivors express weird phenos for the pheno-hunter…

That review is really well done too. :thumbsup: to that

:evergreen_tree:

7 Likes

Isn’t that a gout medication? What would the purpose be?

Definitely agree…very descriptive

4 Likes

Just found this… What is colchicine and how used
Doesn’t seem worth the hassle

2 Likes

agreed, and it sounds like that first scientist’s ‘potency test’ was just killing fish with acetone.

1 Like

I only recently heard of it being used as a natural plant toxin to “stun” fish by aboriginal/native people in the amazon. :thinking:

the link you posted to the OG FAQ mentions a “166-250% increase in THC” so that might have something to do with it! LOL :wink:

3 Likes

This is polyploidism

11 Likes

Sure though I don’t want to go through 1,000 dead seeds to show 3 that could be polyploid using the written scenario…If I needed that much thc I would move away from flower and consider a tolerance break

edited to add: Though it would be pretty cool to see in person

4 Likes

That’s what is called whorled phyllotaxy it may, or may not, be due to polyploidism. Without genetic testing there is no way to know for certain.

My cut of Jillybean did that, shes grown out of it, but stacks up the nodes like crazy still. She most certainly didnt have a huge THC content, but has amazing terpene profile.

10 Likes

It will depend mostly on the whole procedure of selection than happend before this operation. Basically if you prepare a line for that.

In this specific case it can value the complications and the difficult stabilization to do after. The level of cannabinoids don’t stay in offspring like the treated plants, but the footprint is enough big (when prepared) to be valuable in some circumstances.

To get out from the “spray and prey”, you absolutely need to known your line’s segregations equilibriums by heart and really breed it for that. The mess created by polyploids is big, so you need an epurated line with little to no variation to master the outcome. But it can be advantageous too if you need to known, experimentally, the genetic potential of the potency of a gived line. If the average of the offspring finish below the reference or worst, you known than you pushed allready the line in its genetic limits.

Can be usefull also to study different kind of reccurent mutations in cannabis : variegations, “siamese twins”, certain types of hermaphrodism (gynomonoecy mostly), colors also …

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered that aspect… :thumbsup:

We’re really messing up your :dragon: :wine_glass: thread Mom. :blush:
Bear :bear: with us.

2 Likes

Ask and you shall receive! :ghost: This topic really deserves its own thread anyway.

5 Likes

Not really as it is a relevant discussion though don’t want to get too far away from the poll while we wait :wink:

Thank you @Worcestershire_Farms it does… @Fuel brought up some great points I hadn’t considered so it wouldn’t be a complete waste with colchicine treatments on seeds.

After reading some more, many cite ordering the actual chemical and the dangers of using it though its developed from crocus…just out of curiosity has anyone tried to make their own?

2 Likes

Yes I have, no luck and it was about 33 years ago , I really don’t see it as being a worthwhile path to take, lots of zeroing in for very little return imo, and I was stoked on this for years for some reason , so many natural ways of playing.
It’s funny that DJ brings it up when piles of his gens do this :thinking: , I always thought his issues came from the thai, maybe it was the medicine cabinet.

4 Likes

Is this also polyploidism?

2 Likes

Thinking just deformed leaf formation. Is this all over the plant or just this one?

2 Likes

Was reading about colchicine testing on Cannabis and whorled phylotaxy was the most common result of successful attempts at polyploidy, hence the common mistakes in terminology. The plants would apparently spontaneously revert back to normal tho, so like lunchpale said, most people decided it was not worth their effort

1 Like

The whorled phyloyltaxy can be cut off never to return and things go normal -sometimes

1 Like

Plants treated w colchachine are pouson until i beive the 3rd generation?
Polyploidism is diff than whorled phylotaxy no?

Sorry just poking in with my very limited knowledge on the subject

2 Likes

There were some other leaf mutations on this plant. This was an F1 cross with quantum kush. It seems interesting that this technique is used for potency and then I got leaves like that when I crossed one of the more potent strains.

Yeah, you’re right. I’m probably confusing the shit out of people.:grin:
Sometimes people see three leaves at each node and say polyploid, and I never understood where the mixup began, and what, if anything, whorled phylotaxy had to do with extra chromosomes.

The paper I was reading mentioned whorled phylotaxy as one of the more common results of successful colchicine testing, and a dim little, half-lit lightbulb went off in my head.

2 Likes