What is at play here?

Peace All. I have an issue with what I am almost sure is bug infestations. I dont know what bugs and I would like some help or advice on how to proceed. This is poc of underside of leaf…

If I zoom in on pic…
So now I know it is something but what?? Thrips? Have no experience with any bugs as I keep the grow pretty clean mostly. May have been one day outside in back yard and didnt realize. Either way it is, and now time to figure what to do to save them. I have horticultural neem oil that I can use as well as Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint soap ( my wife wont shower without this…also good for bug repellent I hear). I also do have cayenne pepper. These seedlings are about 4 weeks old but I have some sprouts that are about 1 week old as well in same tent. Should this mixture work to repel and kill all? I also have an organic bug spray…
As stated earlier. I have no experience with this end of growing as I have never encountered anything other than fungus gnats. So my question is… will this mean the end of the little ones or could they recover from this?? I dont have anymore of the beans (tester from SecondGenerationGenetics ). Be well all and thanks for the anticipated responses…:pray:t6:
Peace

7 Likes

You need to look with a Jewelery loop or something. They are not big enough to see with plain eyes

6 Likes

^ What @Wizard420 said. If they’re thrips, you’ll want to defoliated the affected leaves and get them out in the trash. Put up sticky traps, because they’re flyers and then spray everything else with your soap.

6 Likes

Peace…It’s on most of the plant leave. This means kill the plants? Also I see nothing flying around atm. I haven’t seen any bugs (with the occasional gnat being the exception). Are they visable in flight?

All these are just now taken. So, like I said it is all of them with some white specs on leaves. Thanks for engaging in the convo… be well…
Peace

9 Likes

It depends on how much you want to keep the plants. I think you could just defoliate the most affected leaves and they’ll be recover. They don’t look that big yet, so you could also do a peroxide and water dunk to try and get anything you missed. I know it’s very effective on harvested plants, so I’d think it should work well to remove most of the thrips on young plants too.

You can probably get rid of them, but you’ll have to be vigilant about making sure they don’t bounce back.

Also, one habit I got into is not to go downstairs and interact with my plants after I’ve been working outside. The bugs all tag along on your clothes after you mow the grass or work in the yard. If you have carpet in the house, not a bad idea to keep it clean by vacuuming and using a carpet cleaner once or twice a year too.

11 Likes

:pray:t6::pray:t6::pray:t6:thank U for Ur response. But U didnt answer the question I asked of …can U visually see the thrips flying around? I cannot see anything flying around in the room. Could it be another thing?? :thinking: Be well

Peace

EDIT: Let me end this with, by no means am I questioning Ur insight. I merely think that maybe I am not explicit in my description. On this I may also be wrong. But I am not questioning Ur experience nor Ur wisdom and I apologize in advance should U take it that way… peace

5 Likes

No worries at all. You might be able to see them flying, but they’re smaller than flies and I don’t think they stay in the air for very long. When I had them, they mostly seemed to spend their time crawling on leaf surfaces and stems. I think you will need a magnifying glass or a jeweler’s loupe like @Wizard420 was saying to be certain they are thrips.

It looks like thrip damage to me, but I can’t say for certain.

4 Likes

:pray:t6::facepunch:t6: well That means I probably should just dump it all then Huh. I would hate to have to do this as stated earlier they are in testing and I dont have more. Damn… well, must accept good with the bad. Hence I guess I will let them go. Just hurts a bit as I have just chopped about 10 plants this past week as a safeguard and these were kept in hiding during the time. I could have done it then but I didnt start seeing all of them like this until just today.:sweat: que sera…
So now how so I get rid of them for future? I’m just going to dump whole plant and rootball. Maybe wash out the 1 gals as I never have done this in the past…lol. Should that end my troubles or is there something I need to do in the room? No carpet beside the stairs. Tent is a 2x2. Should I clean it with something? What do U suggest. Thanks in advance and be well…:pray:t6:

Peace

3 Likes

Take them outside or in bathtub and hose them off with a stream of water to knock most off them off then spray with neem oil or equivalent

4 Likes

You can beat thrips and aphids. Hose them off every 3 days. Do this 3 -4 times. Use your insecticide after you hose them off.

6 Likes

:pray:t6: thanks for reply… off to work… be well

Peace

2 Likes

I think everyone is Right. Looks like thrips to me too. The little black specks on the underside of the leaves are a giveaway. I think that’s their little poops.

If you want me to look on one of the pages referenced in this book let me know. The book is called what’s wrong with my marijuana plant. It has some great pictures

7 Likes

Looks like thrips. Black spots (poop) near the white markings would definitely be thrips. Just an FYI, thrips will eat neem for lunch. If you really want to knock them down fast, get some spinosad. IIRC thrips like blue sticky cards. :v:

7 Likes

Peace @Upstate :pray:t6: thanks for the reply. Indeed I would like to hear what is the sanitation section say about cleaning up and getting rid of. I can’t take the time necessary to try or attempt to try to stop it as I have already had a few days and it is progressing further and can’t take the time to do this as aggressively as I would need to. Better to end it and start anew. Hence I would like to view what is said about cleaning up after to ensure no more are present.
Thank U all for ur input and assistance… be well🙏🏿

Peace

4 Likes

Why would you dump them? There’s plenty of pesticides that will eliminate them overnight.

Thrips are easy to kill. Sevin or Malathion (available at the hardware store for about $15) will knock them right out. I recommend Sevin, Malathion smells foul.

5 Likes

Better read this first … :sweat:

Sevin Insecticide - Label.pdf (312.6 KB)

5 Likes

It’s not dangerous. Don’t drink it and follow the directions. You can’t drink Neem oil either, yet Sevin works infinitely better.

OP, don’t let the organic zealots keep you from fixing your problems. They’re easy to fix if you use the right tools.

3 Likes

Peace @George thank U for Ur input…:pray:t6:… damn stuff is str8 poison. I wont allow that in my garden. @vernal :pray:t6: thank U for Ur input tho. I can’t bring myself to use that when on the bottle it says discard clothes that have been contaminated with the spray. It goes so far as to tell U to wear SHOES and SOCKS​:scream:. U basically have to gear up to use it. Not something I wanna use on a plant that will be consumed. Had it been a plant for show, possible but I know that there are organic vegan plant based ways to get rid of. That’s the thing that I dont have time to do. Had time been there I would have gladly taken it and still may, but I can and haven’t done anything for 2 days beside spray them with above-mentioned spray. I work overnight and go in only 4 hrs after I wake up. I have small children so that takes up the time before work. Actually am about to go get ready for work now…be well All and thank U all for engaging me in this experience…:pray:t6:

Peace

4 Likes

Do what you want, but when you’re tired of fighting them and throwing plants away, they’re there.

Every pesticide label says wear long clothes, even “organic” ones.

“str8 poison” is a terribly simplistic way of looking at it. Highly toxic for bugs, safe for mammals.

The very food you eat has far more pesticide residue than some plants you sprayed with a common safe pesticide in veg. “Organic” doesn’t mean better or less toxic, but it does usually mean less effective.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think Spinosad would do the job without the unneeded extra toxicity, cheers … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes