2023 "Field of Dreams"

I would find it very difficult to wait until June to germinate, not because I want huge plants, which I don’t, but because I would just be so antsy to get growing!

4 Likes

:rofl: I’ve been chompin at the bit to start. I’m going to have a hard time controlling these clones after this 2 month head start. :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s the woodsorrel, it has yellow flowers and creeps, it migrated from one pot to the other.
Shoots its seeds out of elongated pods after being touched. Fun little plant!

Edible. Can be added to salads, has a slightly bitter fresh funky taste.

Also great indicator plant, dies before most other plants when the soil is too dry.

5 Likes

HERE WE GO!

@MissinBissin was generous enough to send me some Panama x Malawi, 2 regs. Distressing over the probability of two males, I sought more beans. I found some in-stock at https://wellgrownseeds.com/ which I ordered, expecting them to arrive in a week or two, same with Missin’s posted package crossing a border. Instead I got the beans from WGS in basically 2 business days. Their order acknowledgement is either a little tricky, or I’m retarded, or both, but that’s the only negative thing about those guys. Knocked it out of the park on shipping time and having my esoteric desires in-stock.

I did more reading about that cultivar over the weekend and got progressively more excited. It sounds perfect as a first “real-deal” pure-blooded NLD strain. Up, happy, giggly effects without intense “trippiness” it sounds like. I’ll find out for myself. :sunglasses:

So, let’s get to rippin’ packs open and popping beans!

3 Ace Panama x Malawi Fems
6 AKBB 907 Blue Genes @LD50 who tipped me over the edge with his 907 results
5 FDM Indiana Bubblegum BX2

Tucking them under the laptop and pretending not to be super excited like a little kid.

Now, I wait. Considering I’ll be waiting more than 6 more months to smoke any of this, you’d think this would be easy. But it certainly is not :rofl:

My soil is still cooking in the tarp, and today I’ll be puffing some Hawiian Snow and spreading compost in the back yard to start my first “lawn” for our daughter to play in. Today is going to be a good day.

gonnabeagood day

24 Likes

Wahoo to the new Playground.
Your gonna have some fun this Summer @FieldEffect

Thats always a difficult angle to look at a new grow from, ie: six months of growing. Its great that your smacking your Lips already.

I already have my chair pulled-up for this one! Best Wishes Comrade

3 Likes

If I wasn’t, what would be the point? I can’t see this ever getting boring. :wink:

2 Likes

Funny how it All just FITS… perfectly

1 Like

I do not envy you culling down to three plants from that. :grimacing:

especially if all the Pana-lawis are nice. not sure I could do it! :nauseated_face:

really like your line-up this season! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sweet man. I’m looking forward to all three. Especially the IB. :100: :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol: Made some oil with my I.B. I ate 10MG last night. Blew my mind. Very manageable high though. Unique for sure. :100: :fire:

3 Likes

I’ll have to cross that bridge when I get there. Ideally I get 3 females of each cultivar, they’ll all go into the 50 gallon bags in a month, and by mid-June hopefully I can get some stem-rub smells and votes on who stays and who goes :grimacing:

Honestly, I’m not sure I can do it either. But that’s the plan, and I’m sticking to it (for now at least)!

Yeah, that one I should have tagged you on as the primary impetus for. How’s that smoking with a nice cure on it now? :fire:?

I opened up my cooler the other night to pull some “samples” for my wife’s friend. Damn…those Grove bags are doing a number on those buds. Smelling DANK with great consistency. :+1: :+1: I’m SOLD on those things. I threw some oxygen absorbers in the sealed cooler space when I added it all a few months ago. Don’t know if it’s the bags or the O2 minimization, but those buds are beatiful in all respects. I expect you are finding similar results.

5 Likes

I haven’t smoked any in a couple months. I will pull a nug out of the grove bag this weekend and pop a new carbon filter on my moose labs mouthpiece for my bong and report back on your thread. Terps are premo man. Serious Bubblegum. Grove bags ROCK!!!

2 Likes

You can sow more than one plant in a pot you know. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Works fine, diversity is good, why grow one plant when you can have two smaller ones that give you the same amount in total, maybe more?

2 Likes

That may well be what happens.

I started this way thinking I’d have to try my hand at selection. I guess it would actually be more informative to make some initial assessments, grow them out and learn from it. If I get rid of plants it’ll be tough to know whether or not my guesses are valid or not.

:thinking:

We’ll see, I’ve got at least a month to decide what I want to do.

4 Likes

Got some beans cracked, tails starting. I think I’ll pot 'em all up tomorrow morning.

Probably not worth pics yet.

3 Likes

Hey friend. Just wanted to drop in and make sure I’m subbed for your next grow.

Much love bud.

Great lineup you have chosen. Must have been tough picking!

4 Likes

Soaked my starter pellets, which are coco, because I bought several boxes last year. I like the finely milled texture of them. They worked well then, I’m sure they will again. I used a dash of Age Old Kelp Extract and a tiny amount of Aloe with a splash of H2O2 as suggested. Unwrapped and placed these into my starter pots surrounded by damp starter mix (using Jiffy brand because it was on sale). Mix of my process last year as well incorporated suggestions made by @Dirt_Wizard in post #18. I’ll get some gypsum for Ca because I did notice a bit of deficiency there on one of my seedlings.

AKBB 907 Blue Genes

Looking a little funky, didn’t expect 2 tails on two of these! I’ll cull the runts as soon as it is feasible to do so, seems once they break ground and have cotyledons that’ll be easier. I’m going to abandon this uncracked bean upper right. Into the pots they go! Our conjoined twin seeds are in pots A and D, respectively. @LD50 we’re preparing for takeoff down here, rare shit happening :sweat_smile:

FDM Indiana Bubblegum

I set this up for a photo but didn’t take any. Rushing with excitement. All but one nice tails, one is a little slow.

Ace Panama x Malawi

I’ve been calling this Panawi, but I think @noknees has a better name with Panalawi. Henceforth, these will be called that instead. All 3 perfect, ready-to-rumble.

All going into my ghetto grow tent, a section of storage closet in my office. I’ve got two 4’ LED shoplights that were on sale at Walmart last year, I think the duo was about $20. Recreating my setup last spring but did a better job cutting the cardboard this time.

Light cycle I’m doing the same as last year, with a target transplant date of 5/7. 6am-8pm so 14 hours. Twilight hours are going to be 5:50am-8:15pm, with actual sun-up 6:10am-7:57pm on the 7th. Worked well last time, sticking to it unless there is a convincing reason to alter it.

I’ve got a heat mat and I’ll control the temp using my over-utilized space blanket reflector technology. :LOL: Let’s just say I don’t regret buying these in bulk. They’ve gotta be less than a dollar each, but haven’t bought a big package of them in sometime because they last pretty well indoors. This is the same blanket I used last season.

I’ll be adding a small fan once the dome comes off. There’s room for two trays because I’ll be starting the peppers, tomatoes, pumpkins, watermelons and more in the coming weeks. All the hardware is the same as used last season. I keep saying that because I feel like it helps justify to my wife the $100 hose I bought yesterday, telling her “it’ll last for years,” which isn’t untrue. Honestly, I don’t even need to justify anything, I just do. Whatever. But most of the shit is from last year. Here I go rambling.

Yesterday I planted two blueberry plants from Home Depot. Our little one LOVES blueberrys. I guess for the first year I need to keep them from fruiting, which will be challenging to resist. They went into what I’m guessing are about 20 gallon planters with a mix of my new “extra spicy” soil and conventional bagged potting soil leftover from last year. I had basically filled my car with it last March when there was a sale, there were a few unopened bags leftover. I used a similar technique I’ll use when I transplant the herbs - spicy soil on the outside edges, mild soil all around the transplant rootball, sprinkle of mycos inside the hole for the rootball. Roughly 50/50 spicy/mild by volume. I’ll add some asthetically pleasing rock so the other half is content with their appearance on the patio.

My meager grass lawn seems like it will work. Compost worked in, mixture of bermuda and something else, straw blankets, new sprinkler, everything looking good on that front. We’ll see how the next few weeks go.

I’m very excited for the season upcoming, not just about the weed plants. But definately excited about those in particular.

CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF
cftakeoffsmall

15 Likes

Oooo, those clear plastic tops are nice. I’m going to have to do something like that in the future.

3 Likes

Right On Man!!! :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Mmmm I like my soil spicy. :hot_pepper:

PS I once grew a watermelon here at 55N… it made it to about baseball size and I was so excited to eat it. Then my dog ate it.

1 Like

I love my watermelons, they do grow easily here. They’re really hard to time harvest right (I find anyway), your dog may have been less dissappointed than you would have been. Sorry to hear that :frowning: I’ve harvested at least half of mine when all the “signs” were there - soft flower-end, dryed out and curled up little tentacle at the vine end, and half of them weren’t ready. Two of them, absolutely exceptional. Made up for all the frustration. Trying again this year, hopefully have a better ratio of success. It’s depressing to chop a big, beautiful melon only to find it tastes like water or is overripe. I went both directions trying to nail it.

@mota they came from the local nursery, same place I got the trays. The tall vented ones were more expensive than the shallow ones, so I got one of each type. Happy with them. I use the shallow one for popping veggie seeds that’ll go straight from the coco pucks to outdoors.

3 Likes