36 Watts or Bust!

Much better growth than mine has. Hopefully the fabric pots will change that for me, but I’m just happy the crystal candy popped out TBH. I really don’t want to dig them out :sweat_smile:

I see the fim. Is it a lighter shade or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?

1 Like

@zap_rowsdower if you are going for stealth, maybe a speaker box. I know they used to sell them on Ebay and maybe Amazon? I’m not sure but I had purchased one and never got to use it. I ended up basically giving it away. I just wanted go shoot some ideas at you for when they get bigger. A speaker has more height. Just a thought. I haven’t read all the post yet so forgive me if you’ve already discussed this. I saw the thread and immediately was reminded of my speaker box. Anyways looking good though. Welcome. You are in good hands here.

3 Likes

A old fridge works also if you can work with it.

For anyone who is good at engineering a fridge might be a great option TBH. Sealed, negative pressure, and a decent amount of space.

3 Likes

More than likely. Keep in mind that cutting into the plant (topping) will slow it down for a few days…give a healthy dose of LIFTA until she recovers :wink:

4 Likes

im not sure if its been mentioned but file cabinets and i have 2boxes i made from dressers they work great just gutted them nailed the drawer fronts in place and took the backs off andput hinges on them grow on brother i dig it

3 Likes

Here’s mine, I’m just now retiring it.

2 Likes

@zap_rowsdower how long does it sit in its runoff for and how much water did you water with, and why the flush?

… add a circulation fan if you can and pickup a cheap “temperature/humidity” weather station which are only $5-10 at most big box stores.

As knowing your temps and humidity at lest jsut baselines for how things are running will help you as you go on as well.

… Sprayglued aluminum foil is a better reflector than white spray paint :wink:

1 Like

Hey all,

I love the bar fridge idea, but it would seem out of place where I have it now. Speaking of file cabinets, and in sort of keeping with Mr. Sparkle’s Ikea retools, the Hallan looks like it’s perfect for a little grow box:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89291312/

Only problem it’s steel, so cutting holes for ventilation would be a little tough, but with enough patience and going slowly could be done.

Right now the PC is doing OK, and blends in well, it’s just a little narrow in terms of a grow area. But as the plant is doing now, it’s got plenty of room.

I think the main choke point right now is the light intensity. Based on what I’ve seen so far, 36 watts is doing OK for veg, the real test will see in flower. I’d say for this current dimension at least 50 watts would be a good balance between light intensity and heat buildup.

I was always under the impression that flat white was better than mylar in terms of base reflectivity. I must have read wrong!

I decided to stop feeding with the regular mix I’ve made up since the FIM, I let a bit run out the bottom, then let it drip dry. I try not to have the plant sit in it’s own juices so at most there are a few dribbles that run off. I figured I’d just go water while it was recovering from the FIM. Just noob superstition I guess lol.

The mix I’m using is fairly unsexy, it’s just three teaspoons of Fox Farms grow big, one teaspoon of superthrive, and a milliliter or two of ph down just to take the edge off the hard water I have here per gallon.

I’ll see if I can stick a thermometer/humidity meter in there. I originally planned for a fan, but I got lazy and didn’t want to punch more holes to run 12 volts into the cab hehe!

Here it is this morning:

4 Likes

^^^ mini version

Tin snips makes cutting easier.

happen to have a ppm meter or ph checker “the aquarium drop ph testers work fine” ?

Just other points for references, as don’t adjust pH unless you know what you have.

5 Likes

Hi Mr Sparkle, I used a crummy soil test kit which stuck my tap around 7 or so. After running a few tests I realized that a teaspoon was way too much and would bring the PH down to 5~5.5 per gallon. So I backed off to 2~3 ml per gallon and that brought the PH down to 6~6.5 or thereabouts.

I can post more than one picture, so I’m going to post a shot of the seedling a few days after it emerged. And a shot of the plant this morning, it’s definitely slowed, but this is good so I can see what to expect. That growth from seedling is pretty crazy! Maybe we’ll get another spurt during flower.

Here it was on the 1st of the month:

Here it is this morning:

8 Likes

Don’t be afraid to post a bunch per post. We’d all love to see as many pics as you want to share

4 Likes

Hey Oni, the seedling really took off up to where we are now. As of now it’s kinda boring. I am noticing one thing, that if this grows much more in veg I’m going to have a hell of a time in flower. The PC case sounds like a good idea until you realize there’s no dang space. We’ll see how well it does in flower. I’d like to have this go another week so that fim fully heals and the plants back in it’s groove. Here we are this morning:

3 Likes

Do some LST to keep your plant small it will help a lot.

6 Likes

This. You’ll love the results

2 Likes

@zap_rowsdower, I tied my plants down with zip ties that I had lying around and it really helped to manage the vertical growth because I was scared they would reach my lights if I didn’t. It’s worked good thus far. I may have to do some more if all my females continue to grow during flowering.

2 Likes

I grew a plant a while back in a pc case.
I used an ice cream tub as it was a lot wider than tall that also helped me.

2 Likes

There is one major stalk with about 6 nodes now, should I bend the main stalk over and tie the whole thing down? That big stalk looks like it’s nice and snappable lol! I was kind of hoping after the FIM that there would be a few bigger branches that would shoot out that I could tie to a trellis I’ve made, but it looks like it wants to christmas tree on me pretty hard. The little shoots under the canopy of fan leaves are not poking through, and they’re not long enough to peek out of the fan leave canopy even with LST. Doh!

2 Likes

If it’s not woody right after watering it should be malleable enough to bend the stalk over. Just do it gradually. All at once can snap it if you believe it’s a concern. Little by little each morning. If you feel it pull back don’t fight it.

2 Likes

I’ve never snapped a stem or branch by using LST, but I have by supercropping (bending with no tying). I would use two tie down points for your first bend to offset some of the pressure from the lower part of the stem, like this:

Might look like a waste of time, but I think that technique is key to preventing snaps in the stem when first training it. Just be sure that lower string/wire has some tension to it or else it will just be decorative lol.

Oh and, like @OniTenshu said, you don’t have to bend it fully right away. It can be done as gradual as you prefer.

3 Likes

It’s almost time to bend mine. I’m at 3-4 nodes rn. I can’t remember if the base stem counts as a node otherwise I’m at 3 nodes. 5th and 6ths leaf set are forming. The node for the 5th leaf set hasn’t stretched yet, so it’s still small.

Soon I’ll have some more plants to fuss over. So far it’s just chill for me. That boring part where a lot happens, but other than growth it’s not worth doing anything :sweat_smile: it’s still compact, so I might not need to train this one, but let’s see the others after they develop. It’s grows like this that remind me that it’s possible to grow even if you can’t afford(figuratively or literally) more electricity for the babies

2 Likes