400W HPS Ballast

Built my first Ballast (Never had one before.) after studying it up on it in the OverGrow Encyclopedia that I had obtained awhile after the server where taken ofline.
Came a picture of the Ballast, when it was new & the old program file that I used to start growing.

11 Likes

Looks sweet! Are you going to be hooking it up to use for a grow or is this going into your museum? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve used it several times & it still out performs the other name brand ballasts that I’ve come in possession of over the years.
Every year or so I bring all my equipment out to clean & make sure things are working.
Here’s what it looked like before I put a fan on it. But,with the aluminum base I never had any heating issues so I never used it.

3 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

Here’s it at work back,when I had it setup in Michigan.

9 Likes

10 Likes

I’m still using a couple of probably 35 yo 400 HPS and a MH similar. Still work great but I got some 600W digi ballasts recently so using one of those now.

Tried and true, made in the USA!

:peace:

2 Likes

used 400 watt HPS/MH back when I started inside

you could buy 400 watt high bay lights with bulbs for cheap at

any lighting supply house and never get a second look

remote the ballast and use the reflector

all the best

Dequilo

4 Likes

That’s how we had to do it back in the days to stay under the radar.
Kids now of days got it easy.

2 Likes

When I ran my Homemade Ballast with my other 400 W Digital Ballasts you can actually see the light from the digital ones pulsing while the homemade one looked constant.

1 Like

600W HPS was what I’ve always recommended back in the days (Over the 1000W.).
600W+2= 1,200W, they can be placed closer to the canopy,etc.
Now, with the advancement in LED’s I don’t really have an opinion formed on a balanced with less heat dispersion,etc.

4 Likes

Great job with the 400!! Your skills are way better then mine were!! I had about zero skills with electricity, but could not afford, nor willing to have them sent to me.
So like you, I also used the Over Grow threads albeit just about 20 years ago now.
My first attempt was an outdoor, 150 security HPS wall mounted light. I tore it apart, remounted the ballast/capacitor/igniter

, then wired the mogul so it had a few feet, to use it inside my grow box and leave the ballast outside the grow.

We had to make everything back then, hoods, batwings, light kits, CO2 emitters, grow boxes, so much.
The 150 hps was a fine light, but once I added a 70 MH to it, those harvests went way up…in a box grow anyway. This light is also still glowing in a dear friends grow box, and she cycles 2-3 ounces, like clock work with it.
great thread man!

9 Likes

Did one of those too.

3 Likes

Nowadays, with the advancement of LED’s that’s the way to go (Especially, when it comes to heat & energy savings.).
Quantum Boards if you can afford ‘em.

2 Likes

Who says heats a bad thing? I live in new england . 10 months of the year I need the heat they provide.
I love my 1000w solistek double ended ballast .

4 Likes

Someone who lives in the SubTropics with a GrowTent that gets up to 91 degrees Fahrenheit with only one 400W HPS in a cool tube.
I can’t do 1,000 W, it’s more logical to use 2 600W. Because, you get an extra 200W & can get them closer to the plant’s.
Everyone, has their own way because no one lives in the same place or region.

1 Like

I used to use 600w hids there great . 90,000 lumens compared to a 1000w 150,000 lumens . Easier to bring closer to the plants. I personally found the 1000w penetrate the canopy farther. No I dont have a grow tent. Im in the north east We have 45 days of true summer the rest of the time its warm and mostly cold.
600s are great lights though. I agree.

1 Like

Most definitely does penetrate the Canopy better.
That’s my main problem with L.E.D.’s.
I just got my 1,500 W Dynamic Board installed. But, my 400W HPS seemed to penetrate way better than I he L.E.D.’s as soon as my sensor passes the canopy it drops right down.

1 Like

I’m with you on the heat needed, and I also have a 1000 watt solistek in use. :ok_hand: