Show us your lights OverGrowers!

What are you guys/girls using for lightning right now… Post a pic of your light fixture and tell us why you prefer it. Is ti a HPS air cooled reflector or an umbrella, LED Viparspectras/Mars, or are you a COB freak!!!

@MadScientist will be using this… As soon as i can afford it.(Might change my mind tho)

http://timbergrowlights.com/600-watt-cree-cxb3590-4x4-framework/

EDIT: Wy i like it? I like it because it lasts forever, you can service it yourself if needed, spectrum is absolutely beautiful, and it doesn’t get hot.

1 Like

I have only ever used T-8s and T-5s and CFLs for seedlings and clones.

For vegetative growth and flowering indoors, I have only ever used HIDs…combos of MH and HPS…never less than 400 watts. Mostly 600 and 1000W.
But…my favorite lighting is the Sun.
IMO, the very best.
I have been watching the advancement of LEDs for indoor, and may very well try them out soon. I am intrigued by this new technology. But they still seem too expensive for the initial purchase, compared to time proven HIDs.
Heat has never been a problem for me as I do not use tents. Rooms are easy for me to keep cool.

5 Likes

How much did you pay for those green reflectors with the pointy bits sticking out of them :joy: @Calyxander

Are your reflectors all open ended, have you ever tried the closed end ones or the parabolics ? (umberellas indeed)

1 Like

Hahaha…you are right, I prefer, cheap, more open reflector designs.
Bat wing or other type open designs are my clear preference.
To me, they seem to dissipate the heat better. Most of my grow rooms have had central A/C supplemented by portable room units. Keeps the temps and humidity low baby!

3 Likes

I agree the open wing type reflectors allow the heat to disepate easier and cause less of a hot spot than the closed end reflectors. I have used both types over the years and find that each has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the room set up. I have never tried using the parabolic ones where the bulb hangs verticle though. The closed end reflectors are pretty good when used in conjunction with light movers though :wink:

2 Likes

I tried those umbrella types many years ago and found that I could not keep my plants as close to the HID bulbs.
I like to keep all of my plants as close to the light source as possible. With the open design type reflectors I can get them a little bit closer.
I always use a “stadium” configuration with my plants in order to keep them all as close to the bulbs as possible.
I rotate all of my indoor plants daily as well.
I am, admittedly, quite anal when it comes to my plants!

3 Likes

Have you ever tried the adjusta wings with the wire that allows you to change the angle of the wing, they are also coated with glass some how, they claim to never loose any reflective capacity over time?

@Calyxander @MadScientist

http://www.adjustawings.com/index.htm

https://youtu.be/O0AJwCpeEW8

4 Likes

No Sir, I have never tried those reflectors.
They do look nice to me because they are very open.
I see that Jorge Cervantes is promoting them.

He is now a geezer, as am I!

I would buy some depending upon the price point.

All things being equal however, I greatly prefer sun grown plants.
My indoor gardens are my insurance policy.
They guarantee me my buds!
:sunglasses::roll_eyes::smile:

2 Likes

@Calyxander it is definately worth shopping round for them and doing price comparisons from shop to shop and website to website.

http://www.adjustawings.com/ajw_layout_tips.htm

http://www.adjustawings.com/ssp-main.htm

http://www.adjustawings.com/growing-instructions.htm

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info Herbie,
Those are some very nice looking reflectors, no doubt.
I looked at some of the prices…yikes…$100 for one reflector.
I have some open design reflectors currently which work quite well.
Although, I must say that I would consider buying some of these attractive reflectors instead of very expensive LED lights which I have yet to try. They are substantially less expensive…and I have been using HIDs for over thirty years now.
These new style reflectors may very well improve upon my current indoor setup.
Although part of me says: if it is not broken don’t fix it!
I am old, and seemingly averse to change!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Calyxander Make sure you compare the medium to the large as they are priced differently obviously. I agree with you about the leds and cobs etc they are just too expensive. I worked out the return on investment once as they were marketed as saving on the electricity. I worked out the difference between using the leds that were rated the same as 600w HIDs, it would take 9 years to recoup the initial investment cost in electricity savings. I doubt that most led units would still be working in 9 years :astonished:

I too am an HID aficionado, if it isnt broke don’t try to fix it. I have never had a HID magnetic ballast fail on me in over 20 years, I hear about a lot of problems with the digital ballsts when used over prolonged periods too. May be its my old age :wink:

2 Likes

I’m currently using a medium adjust-a-wing , with a 600 hps and I don’t like it too much in the center area coverage that is weak…
DS

1 Like

What seting have you got it on and have you checked it with a lux or lumnes meter, the eye can be deceiving ?

You can also adjust the height of the bulb holder, have a play with lumens meter

@Dee.S73 I noticed that too when I had them set to their widest angle, but its finding the right setting not just the width but also the bulb height, you can imitate spring , summer and autum, with or without the heat shield. The heat sheild has to be fitted the correct way up and 2 mm from the bulb, took me some time to figure mine out so I tried it with a lumens meter and got the desired affect I wanted.

no luxmeter available nor needed …its the area just under the bulb but as there is also a cooltube involved, it could be part of the problem.
they are not bad reflects at all, (sheets r a bit light if you ask me ) but, I honestly don’t see any “night&day” difference vs my 18 years old,35€ earlier reflector.
DS
BTW, been playing with settings too and found out the narrower" is the most homogeneous I’m my tent

A lot of people just bend open there standard cheap dutch barn style reflectors when required and bend them back also,only problem I find doing that is eventually they split at the top. Ihave to agree they are a lot of money for what they are and agreed very thin, but I have noticed they have a better shiny surface, but my 20 year old ones still work just as well. They are really for those who want to expand their growing space at each side or get the bulbs right down low over the plants I think. I only have a couple of the mediums because I wanted to try them for my self. I mostly have enclosed end reflectors and the bulb holder has an extra capacitor in so I canrun more then 4 meter cable lenghts. I hate kettle type sockets that the adjusta wings come with too (fire hazard) I prefer the builders/generator style 3 pin sockets.

2 Likes

I do have 2 of the mediums cooltubed ad-w as back in march when I was getting into growing again I found a good deal on a lightly used setup from someone , so I ended up with a complete light (lumatek 600 ballast, cooltube 150, ad-wing med.) as spare… (still thinking if selling it or keeping all as backup…);
I’m not bashing them, let’s be clear… I’m not impressed either…
DS

here what I’m rocking atm 7 in 1 light spliters only using 6 out of the 7 right now

3 Likes