🚨 ’78 Columbian - Grow Journal

Yea, it works for all seeds I’ve tried. It’s more about understanding what you’re doing, and where the method can go wrong. I soak all my seeds in water with a splash of h2o2. If a seed is viable, I’m pretty confident I can get it to germinate.

Just like most things in growing, there’s a lot of ways to do it, but the best method is often the one that you understand the best and know how to troubleshoot.

13 Likes

Wow that’s a great find hope everything works out for you I’m pulling up a chair on this one good luck

4 Likes

Amazing find! Also, ggod luck!

2 Likes

Awesome find. This could be very interesting!!!

2 Likes

Were all those seed packs found in the pink envelope? That’s the botanical equivalent to finding treasure in the walls. Was the garage in a pretty decent climate for seed storage? I can’t wait to follow this one.

3 Likes

Wow what a treasure! How exciting, totally following this. The genetic possibilities here are probably awesome, talk about untainted!

It’s interesting some of the packs were marked with “crop” - must have been from some big outdoor grow way back!

2 Likes

I will stay tuned. You are another awesome member in our little community.

4 Likes

Damn, what a find @PCC5rivers! I have to agree with @vernal though. From the looks of the packaging it may be a real challenge to get them to germ.

If you haven’t seen this thread, you should check it out. There are several methods outlined for starting old seeds.

One that isn’t listed is in-vitro germination. I’ve been dabbling with tissue culture off and on for a couple of years, there’s a procedure for starting seeds in tissue culture media. I’ve tried it a couple of times as a test, and it works, but I tried moving them to soil too soon and killed them.

Good luck with this man!! We’re all pulling for you. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

10 Likes

I’m going to be kind of a dick here, but this seems pretty unbelievable. Very few people in the 70’s labeled what year their seeds were… I was there and never saw anyone do it. People just didn’t pay that much attention to that kind of thing back then. Even today people don’t put a date on their seeds. Seeds were also not grown to be so dark very much back then. Most people were not experts in cannabis cultivation at that time, and didn’t take the seeds to full ripeness pretty much at all… only big time growers or exceptional hobbiests would have everything labeled and sorted and taken to maturity at that time. Another thing is that if it was stored in a garage for over 40 years, there should not be a high germination rate. If all of these pop and have lots of vigor, I call BS. If these are legit, your friend must have been a fairly big player in the weed game.

4 Likes

What an awesome find! i’ll be watching this one :popcorn::movie_camera:

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately I would not expect any of them to germinate either unless they are modern creations of an old heirloom.

I had a bunch of seeds saved that I made in the early 80s, that I tried to germinate about 10 years ago. Couldn’t get a single one to germinate out of hundreds.

5 Likes

If you read some of the envelopes writing it appears some were grows years later such as 77 gold grow 1982
also a 1A xxx on a pack and a later date of 1984 looks like the collection was a breeder of the 80’s and I’m sure things were being categorized .
OREG 84 and LA 79 is interesting.
Great find good luck with them .

14 Likes

That kills me. That’s the one part of cannabis I truly hate: seed life. I know it isn’t out of the norm for seeds, but imagining all those saved seeds, lost to time, of all things. I’m sorry that happened to you. It must have been a huge bummer; I know it would have been for me.

8 Likes

Watching with interest and anticipation. I’ve had a CGxPanamaRed in my grow since day one.

4 Likes

Damn! this is too cool. Like an archaeology dig of sorts.
I hope a couple sprout for you.
Following along!

5 Likes

I’m gonna tag along as well ,that is, if you don’t mind :v:t4:

3 Likes

Shiskaberry - The LA 79 definitely caught my eye. The seeds were in a garage in Oregon…which would help explain the OREG 84. I am very hopeful here but they have been sitting dormant for 42 years and I am hoping for the best. I had three seeds out of ten that wouldn’t sink, I clipped the ridge on all three and went ahead and planted them also.

Mr. Bill- I don’t have the time or interest in making up an internet story about some seeds. With respect to dating, I have always dated all of my seed runs. I totally agree with you concerning the germination rate, which is why I opted to use the gibberellic acid. I also agree, he had come connections. I am hopeful to get a few to pop.

Guitarzan- Thanks for the read, very interesting. I think I may save the last fifteen beans I have for Tissue culture. I am just starting to delve into it. I may send them off to a pro based on how this experiment goes.

Motaco - Thanks

Eudamon - They were found in all the separate packs as shown in the pic.

I promised my friend, if I could get them to pop, that I would do an open pollination. If this all works out to new seed stock, I am more than willing to share these very special genetics with nearly anyone who wants some. As of now, the seeds are in soil - in the dark, domed at 78 degrees on a heating mat.

~ PCC

24 Likes

In case you need it, the attached pdf explains how to germinate cannabis seeds in vitro. It is very useful with old seeds. In this way they have more days to develop without pathogen problems.
Have you looked inside the shell? is there something inside
c1850-info_1.pdf (524.7 KB)

19 Likes

What a crazy collection, hopefully some will go for ya!

4 Likes

Ha!! That’s the document that came with the TC starter kit we bought from Phytotech. :grinning:

There’s a lot of useful info on tissue culture in that doc, well worth the read if you’re interested. :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

10 Likes