Saving Bag of Seeds from 1960s and 1970s

Time capsule! Pretty fun stuff and the kind of thing us weed nerds dream of hopefully, I have a bag of very, very old seeds that need an expert hand to see what can be done. @Elchischas suggested Mystic Funk from Cryptic Labs who I’m going to reach out to, but wanted to share with OG as well and maybe someone has ideas.

One of my best and closest friends was doing a renovation job for a guy in his late 70s a few months ago. They were talking about herb and eventually the old timer said he had a bag of old seeds he had saved from his favorite bags in the 1960s and 1970s. My friend bartered with him and a combo of work and flower landed me this bag of old seeds.

I’ve included a pack of VB x LT for scale as those are small seeds. The seeds are definitely old, like a red/brown tint to some of them, but I’m going to do everything I can to save them. Tissue Culture, a better equipped breeder, whatever but if I can save these, hopefully we get some good stuff out of them.

TO BE CLEAR, I don’t sell seeds. These would all be given away freely for everyone to play with and increase.

80 Likes

I’m tagging along to watch. I’d offer up my tent but I’ve already got a long waiting list.

8 Likes

Very cool! Mystic Funk is a great choice. He uses a worm bin to germinate so far as I know. Any idea how the seeds were stored?
If you have a bunch I’m interested myself. I have a worm bin too. I’m starting a few old seeds very soon, so we’ll see If I have any luck. The old stuff sure is special. Good luck finding someone to bring these to life!

23 Likes

i had a bag of old seeds i lost in a traffic stop back pre-9/11 in fl. the cop that found them told me it was a felony to have that many seeds and i just told him i forgot about them and they threw them away - on the side of the road no less! - and let me go with a warning. it did conveniently distract them from the sheet of acid in the same container as the seeds though. i’ve had some luck over the years…

but back on track, i’d love to grow some of the seeds out if those get increased, no way i would attempt them now, i am NOT that guy. can’t wait to see how this turns out. good luck with it.

13 Likes

A worm bin? I’m interested lol. I have a bunch of oldies I’ve been hesitant to pop. Does that help with old seeds?

11 Likes

Yeah. It helps a lot… Just throw the seeds in with the worms. I’ve been nervous to do it with just a few seeds in hand, But I dumped out my pile of peshawar waste after making hash with the seed plants, and there were sprouts coming up in those castings for 3 weeks… And those same sprouts lived in the dark and got to be six inches long with zero damage. No damp off, No weird plants… Just extremely long sprouts. I finally pinched them off to feed them back to the worms. They just wouldn’t die…even well after a month.

25 Likes

@ClassicGenetix

I’d be interested in growing 3 to 5 seeds so we can do a seed increase for the masses!

Also, @DougDawson @Pigeonman have previously also proven very capable as well…

Also @JohnnyPotseed has excellent methods of sprouting seeds…

Any idea what the strains may be? Or these are all tossed into the same bag and we will all figure this out along the way…

Regardless, I’m given you positive vibes to make these babies grow! And I’ll be in line waiting for my chance either now or later to grow them myself.

13 Likes

Im down but it cant happen until late 2024 :man_shrugging:

End of 2023: Bohdi Yogi F2 → F3 run
March of 2024: Bodhi Watermellon Hashplant F2 by Staryfox → F3 run

20 Likes

Bro,lets just wait for mystic Funk
I’m pretty sure that he will able to bring back to life those seeds. Please :pray: do NOT give to anyone else the seeds. Numbers are crucial on landraces, specially sativas.
Just be patient with mystic Funk.

11 Likes

This is awesome! I’d love to see what comes of this!

1 Like

I agree with this.
People will clamor for these seeds, but if you’re truly interested in seeing them preserved, it’s better to have them in a a very few well-trusted hands.

16 Likes

:pensive: That is a sad statement.

14 Likes

I have had great luck getting old seeds to pop if your interested I’d love to try I could start them asap and I’ll post updates

4 Likes

those of us who really love old landraces and have had this for a long time
know what im trying to say.

8 Likes

I’d be interested in having some

Bro… this is not about me
I’m not even asking the seeds for myself
I commented on his post yesterday on Instagram, it would not have been difficult to have asked the seeds for me first.
but I admit that I am not good at germinating old seeds
why am I going to ask for them?
I’m not a person of whims
I prefer someone really trained and with full of experience to do the job, and even if I never get the chance to cultivate them,
I know that something that was probably extinct will have been rescued and i’ll be happy anyway.
the only person who can pull it off is Mystic Funk
I gave him seeds that were 30 years old, poorly stored, and according to whoever had it, was the last of their kind!
Imagine that without proper experience I would have tried to germinate them?!
we would never have the opportunity to know that variety.
I like this forum because there is a lot of good vibe and enthusiasm
but I also recognize that it is where there are more newbies
so I really hope he don’t make the big mistake of handing out those precious seeds to anyone.

15 Likes

Bro. This is not bag seed energy.

Bag seeds are about opportunity. Being something from nothing. One of a kind buds gifted to humanity from the universe. Or they don’t grow. :v:

4 Likes

Sorry but I found your statement to be a bit disheartening. The idea that Mystic Funk is the only human being you seem to feel can germinate old seeds shows a bit of a lack of faith in some of the growers here. When a member shows up and says they want to share some seeds with OG and than another repeatedly says don’t give them any, I find it sad.

There is a group of people here called the Freakers Ball Seed Collective who specialize in this very thing. Old landrace strains are right up their alley. So to say only that one person could possibly germinate them feels like an incorrect statement to me.

I get it when you say this is not about you and would add it’s not about me either. I for one would not take on such a task. I am no expert in dealing with really old seeds so would not take on the responsibility of trying. I also would not want these just tossed out to some new grower as they lack the experience. That said, I do still feel there are others out there that have the experience to tackle such a project. Should they be chosen wisely, absolutely. But I am pretty sure with almost 8 billion people on the planet that there may be more than one that could pull off such a thing. That’s all I am trying to say.

29 Likes

Sorry, bit high as fuck, can’t resist. I go hide somewhere.

7 Likes

That’s what i’m taking about guys! :roll_eyes:
And you all really want to play with those old seeds? :man_facepalming:

4 Likes