A Walk Through My Garden

@Meesh, you inspired me to share some pics of my garden!

Poppies that’ll fill in the space nicely once the garlic is pulled:

Chives:

Romaine, Russian Garlic:

Kale, Shiso (middle), Shallots, Dill (everywhere!):

Potatoes, Oregano (way in the back):

Irises, Tomatoes, Various Peppers, Poppies, and more Dill of course:

Zucchini:

Garlic, Poppies, Sage, Lillies, Clematis, Various Columbine (done):

Partial Overview, with more Lillies:

Unknown trees, Mint on the left:

Romulan, 3-stage Composter:

Lillies, Columbine (done), Sage:

Roses, Lillies, Yellow (?), Limelight Hydrangea:

Cherry Tomatoes, Flowers and Weed :slight_smile: :

Elderberry (makes great wine!):

Plum (first 3 or 4 plums this year!):

Pear (first 3 this year!):

Yucca, pink bush (?), etc.:

Echinacea, Lillies, etc.:

Yucca, Lavender, etc.:

Boxwood, Hens n’ Chicks, Snow in Summer, Lillies, etc.

35 Likes

WOWIE! Everything looks amazing! Nice job! Do you get swallowtail butterflies in your area? If so, you should be seeing them in your dill. lol Super envious of your snow in summer and echinacea. They didn’t do well here. Following…!

11 Likes

What a beautiful space. I would like to just graze in your backyard like a deer.

9 Likes

Thanks @Meesh !

I don’t know much about butterflies but we do get a lot of them, and lots of other pollinators.

Funny you mention the Echinacea - this is the best it has ever done. And the Snow in Summer looked mostly dead in the spring but made a big comeback!

Things look pretty dry, eh? Believe it or not, this is by far the wettest spring and summer we I have seen in the past 9 years.

6 Likes

Thanks!

My dogs would chase you away, just like they do to the deer (an 800 hectare park funnels right into my yard).

5 Likes

Dry you say? Shit man, I see green lawn. lol My lawn isn’t even green and I water it in the front. Lucky for you getting any rain. We barely get shit for rain, even in the winter. I’m actually jealous.

3 Likes

Beautiful garden that unknown purple tree is very interesting.

4 Likes

Cogitech

Good skills…

Very well put together and cared for…
I loved caring for my yard and garden before we had kids…lol. Now it looks like a Toys R Us blew up outside… :wink:

Thanks for sharing your space…

Cheers

4 Likes

Ya I wish I could identify it. It has a wonderful, sort of citrusy/eucalyptus smell if you get up really close to it. Hard to tell but it does have purple/red foiliage under all that fuzz.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I know what you mean about the kids. Mine are close to 18 and 19 now so not nearly as much mess in the yard (the mess is in their rooms now). I’ve had much more time to spend caring for things in the yard this year due to COVID. Before it was almost a hassle that I didn’t have enough time for, and now I am really enjoying it. Waiting on an order of a whole whack of veggie and flower seeds (mostly veggies) than I plan to start as a “fall crop”.

4 Likes

Love the gardens! :call_me_hand: :sunglasses:

The unknown fuzzy pink/purple(ish) tree is a Smoke Bush.
Seems appropriate!

Cheers
G

6 Likes

very nice !!! :slight_smile:

thanks for the walk around your garden

all the best and enjoy the day

Dequilo

6 Likes

Thanks! Very happy to learn the name of that one!

4 Likes

Damn bro you have it going on there at your place looks great! Thanks for sharing! Love the way things are terraced, beautiful!

3 Likes

Smoke bush lol that seems fitting it’s a really beautiful colored plant.

3 Likes

Thanks! The terraces were built by the previous owner. They look nice but they aren’t anchored properly so they are slowly shifting toward the patio. I am tempted to pull all the earth back in the lowest tier, shift the frames back, and anchor them properly. If I do it, it’ll be in the late fall when everything is harvested or dead and the temperature outdoors will be more conducive to some very hard work.

4 Likes

Yikes moving a lot of soil is hard work for sure ! Would hate to see what damage a 8-10 rainfall would do to something like that not sure if it would ever happen in your area but Mother Nature is unpredictable at times

2 Likes

Extremely unlikely.

Our average annual rainfall is 8.83 inches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamloops#Climate

For reference, Los Angeles average annual rainfall is 14.93 inches.

(on the other hand, we do get a bit of snow :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Depending on the composition of your soil you might be able to dig out 1’-1 1/2’ of soil out to rebuild your retaining walls…
I guess it comes down to time, money and interest in the project in general…Since you can probably use much of the material over…(if you don’t mind the same structure) your projected fall start is likely best with all the free time everyone seems to have with covid.

Best of luck…

3 Likes

More applause :clap: :slight_smile: from me… Nice compost setup especially. I’m still holding the beans you sent (Tangerine Dream x LRUV) and am eager to try them, but you know how it is… :blush:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes