A word about censorship

Thanks, @LemonadeJoe
Really, this place is truly a gem on the web and i think the strict rules of no politics is what keeps this community amazing.

There’s a million places online to talk about whatever political things you want. Sometimes those places work, but I’ve watched so many degrade into hostile cesspools.

Staying friendly and kind is our magic here at OG.

9 Likes

I agree. Censorship is good. Thank you for your service. :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I don’t see it as censorship. I see it as enforcing the TOU.

The old Overgrow was a big mud fight full of antagonists trying to pull everyone else into the pit. If you wanted to have a meaningful dialogue with someone, you had to go to PM.

This is like Disneyland for Cannabis.

9 Likes

Thanks Lemonade!

Thankless job really…This place is the best of what’s going…Youre making it great!

Go to Icmag for the rad political work over…It shows the benefits of it…but suffers the side effects

I didnt see any real arguments in that geo thread

Its like someone put a spin on what was going on…And theres the backash

Any thread can be shut down or suspended

Its the nature of forums

That geo thread is only 5 post long with a very abrupt ending…Is this normal shutdown?

All said…

We have to respect the good people run the show here

2 Likes

I don’t even talk politics with family and friends. lol
(That’s reserved for me and the wife.)

But I’ll talk cannabis alllll daaayyyyyyyy!

Thanks for this great place @LemonadeJoe

and Mods!

18 Likes

I completely agree, It’s like watching football with the players getting political. I don’t watch football anymore because of the anti American politics. We come to these places to get a breather and get away from politics. Wether your on the left or the right this is where we come to enjoy each other and our common ground. As long as the moderating goes both ways I’m good.

9 Likes

I have said maybe one day I’ll talk politics with you when we’re good friends, but we’re not there yet.

There you go. Line in sand. Drawn.

6 Likes

Thanks @LemonadeJoe & @moderators!

Overgrow.com is a brilliantly conceived and operated forum. It works so well that we all feel that we have a stake in it, but that’s not the case. We are having our party in someone else’s house and it is only fair that they set the rules.

I’d only point out that there are members whose contributions over time have increased the value of this encyclopedic reference immensely and perhaps the moderators, when performing their valuable service, feel the need to crack down, they could show a little deference where appropriate.

This is Joe’s show and he has the right to make the rules, fair enough, but the bookshelves of Joe’s house are filled with precious knowledge that has been created by others and keeping those streams flowing deserves come consideration.

I feel honored to be here and share in the community. I just I hope there is a way to moderate the discussion without losing any of our most talented contributors.

Respectfully,
-Grouchy

17 Likes

Thank you, @LemonadeJoe and @moderators!

3 Likes

Why would you reference one of the worst offenders disney???

1 Like

first off, i’d like to apologize. i truly did not think that one was political and the other was just posting the uncut version of one.

he could and that would be perfectly acceptable but taking the time out to explain it like this shows a character that is better than just doing the bare minimum and shows compassion. i’d bet he also puts the cart back.

4 Likes

SMDH :roll_eyes:

Obviously, you missed the context of that reference.

7 Likes

I’m thinking this might be a good place to post this. A few weeks ago I made a joke about my password for everything being the same. One of the moderators didn’t get the joke and flagged the post. Well it ticked me off as after all I was just joking around. In hindsight the next day I thought “you know he was only looking out for you” but by then hell I couldn’t remember where I was when this took place and had no clue the name of the moderator so I have been hoping it would come to me but it has not.

So hopefully the @moderators in question sees this and accepts my apology for calling you out like I did.

Have a great rest of the 4th and be safe.

15 Likes

I came from a forum that was constant bickering over the things not encouragrd here. It nice to have a chill place. Happy 4th.

8 Likes

I am an extremely politically active person on multiple levels over multiple issues.

I come here to leave that all behind and learn from others about my favorite passion. If I could not escape something I pay attention to so much outside this site, I’d never be on this site.

Thank you so much for providing this site dedicated to cannabis, @LemonadeJoe. I would be lost without Overgrow.

14 Likes

@LemonadeJoe Good. Some of the stuff people let slip like it’s not noticed the past couple weeks has been unnerving. Seems to be a certain political/world view lean just can’t keep things to themselves. Even this thread is kinda full of me wondering why people are taking the time to write the things they write on a weed forum. Must not have many places left they aren’t IP blocked.

7 Likes

@LemonadeJoe thanks. Nothing wrong with these reminders to me. I can drift off topic, be sarcastic, play the devil’s advocate, or any other poor behavior.
I came to OG to learn to grow better weed. I’ve gotten so much more. Without some of the friendships I have from OG, I’d be in a bad way. I’ve said it before. I’ll Say it again.
Thanks all.

5 Likes

Thanks! This is a forum about growing and breeding cannabis as far as I know. If you want to talk other stuff, go somewhere else. It’s super simple. Your “freedom” and whatnot aren’t being infringed upon when a private business holder applies the rules they’ve set. It’s their business/site, not a public space. If you don’t like their rules, don’t patronize their business.

9 Likes

There’s always two ways to look at any situation:

• With the cup half full
  • With the cup half empty

When you remove the cup, who benefits?? Controversial topics should be encouraged imo as long as communications can be civil. Greater understanding can be found by experiencing others viewpoints and learning new things. We don’t grow by avoiding problems we grow by solving them.

You’re speaking for others when you say this. I would appreciate conversations with those who oppose my own viewpoints. This allows me to learn more about life than the limited scope that my eyes and ears can experience. It makes me extremely uncomfortable knowing that freedoms my family has sacrificed for are being discarded because “I shouldn’t have to defend myself”. If someone was pushing me in person antagonizing me into a fight, it’s MY choice to fight back, or walk away. You don’t get to make that choice for me, sorry. In this situation you’re pushing me telling me I can’t voice my opinion here, unless it relates to cannabis legalization.

Thank you for putting this publicly. Any ideological discussions about anything other than cannabis should be avoided here on OG. You might consider highlighting this and making it more noticeable. I’ve been on OG for a while now and never before now heard that it’s NOT OK to discuss anything other than cannabis legalization.

Also, isn’t it kind of ironic we’re supposed to AVOID political discussions but cannabis legalization itself is a POLITICAL DISCUSSION. (having to do with governments/laws)

In the TOS I quote: " Overgrow.com is a cannabis information network. We fight for free speech and information sharing. We also believe in respecting the law."

Yet your statement here…

So you fight for free speech and information sharing but let’s refrain from any topic that might cause some unnecessary tension… which is it? It’s confusing.

There’s nothing inclusive or inviting about a website where I may have my freedom’s restricted. Period.

5 Likes

It’s super easy, leave the forum and find one that meets your views or create your own and pay the costs. Soooo simple.

7 Likes