Adding raw food ingredients to feedings - soil grow

So, I saw a few images posted in the “Non Political Things That Make You Go Hmmm” thread showing health benefits of consuming certain foods ((specifically cabbage and watermelon seeds) (specifically for human consumption)).

FB_IMG_1701392671384

…and I started wondering if it would cause problems to add these things to the blender when I’m making an aloe vera solution for the plants. Will adding these into soil as raw components do more harm than good? I know I can just throw these into the worm bins and let them do their work, but if I wanted an immediately ready addition, could I?

Just a thought…

((also this is my first new topic post - I apologize if this is misplaced or stepping on another thread))

4 Likes

Some food items might promote pests or introduce fungus gnats. Some raw ingredients when broken down can give you nitrogen toxicity. In moderation you should be fine.
For the most part, your carrots, watermelon or w/e your thinking would probably be better in your belly.

seaweed is excellent for your body and your plants.

2 Likes

Basically right where my head was at…just curious because it’s okay to blend up raw aloe (granted I’ve read that certain studies found it to have natural antimicrobial properties…which gets me wondering about soil microbiomes)

In regards to consuming the foods myself, I’m mostly considering my outdoor garden items that continuously get destroyed by my dear, deer friends - they don’t realize they don’t like many of my vegetables until they’ve taken a bite of each one. Those go to the worms.

2 Likes

I would agree with psilly rabbit. Some things would be it for raw like a seed sprout tea. But things like watermelon may have too much sugar and bring pest in. But also the only real way to find out is give it a try find out what works maybe play with some clones and see what happens. But would have to research what materials you use and what benefits are you trying to get from them.

Yes, hundred percent
I was thinking watermelon seeds, possibly rind - low sugars (I think)
Then again, I’m already clapping around the grow room chasing gnats…maybe best not to encourage them

1 Like

If it was me I’d try fermenting half Chopped up rind, half seeds then equal parts brown sugar. The rind is phosphorous, and potassium I believe and the seeds should be loaded with good stuff. Should make good flowering ferts.

3 Likes

Also try the Mosquito bits for the gnats, seems to be the popular thing around here.

1 Like

Old school saying is feed the soil not the plant.
Seed sprout tea is a differnt animal since that is for plant growth hormones.
Anytime you add sugars to water use it as prepared. Sugars will be fermenting after a few hours if the temp is right. Plants dont like alcohol.

1 Like