Mealworm frass as a soil helper?

I have been raising mealworms for the last few years for my turtle. And have been collecting the frass. Say I want to add some to peat to start veggie seeds and other seeds.peat not having alot of nutrients. How much part per gallon of peat. Etc

5 Likes

I wonder what moved you to collect it :stuck_out_tongue:, here you are … beer3|nullxnull

Captura

1 Like

Mealworm frass is better used in a soil media due to the beneficial microbes it’s gonna add to the media. It’s ok to use peat with the frass but your gonna want to add a lil bit of compost ( I suggest mushroom compost) for something for the beneficial microbes to actual feed on to keep your plants happy

3 Likes

lol well the container gets the frass at the bottom of it and the worms and food sort of sit on the top… I’ve heard before its good for house plants so I started to gather it. plus. the fresher frass has mealworm eggs and larva in it… so I let them grow a bit separate from the others… feed them. then when big enough I move them to the main one… after that… that batch is baby free lol

3 Likes

I raise them too, very familiar with the process. The frass is only used in my actively aerated compost teas for the microbes but that’s where id be suggesting implementing it into the garden.

2 Likes

Found these rumors on gĂĽĂĽgel.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Mealworm frass is a naturally occurring product, produced from the excrement and exoskeleton of our mealworms. Mealworm frass naturally contains chitin which triggers a immune responses in plant cell walls making the plant stronger and able to help fight off disease, fungal issues and damage from pest.

Would be logical to assume this is also the case for vermicompost from red wigglers.
Could mix the two. Combine. Diversify.

3 Likes

Absolutely not, meal worms are technically a beetle and a grain pest

Red wigglers are a composting worm, each have their benefits in the garden

Funny ur interested in em now cuz their frass is one of those many ingredients in my teas, doesn’t follow along with your “throw kitchen scraps” methods

2 Likes

Vermicompost contains chitinases which are enzymes that degrade chitin.

Sounds like a good combo.

But you’re right, I don’t need it, I get chitin from my civilization of rolly pollies. :+1:

2 Likes

:person_facepalming:

It’s ok to admit there’s better things to add to improve soil quality that isn’t just table scraps, mostly bunch of bird and insect craps. I use poop from mealworms, roaches, and crickets for insects and worm castings, bat guano, and seabird guano, it’s all good shit :wink: just part of those "complex " recipes lol

1 Like

i run my own mealworm farm for my geckos i use it at about 1/4- 1/2 cup per cubic foot for diverty and light npk i also grind up all dead exoskeletons of the beetles to add extra chitin also good for pest reistance as it gives a systemic aquired resistance or SAR responce i also add a tsb or 2 to my tea from my research black soldier fly frass is slightly better though

3 Likes

It likely is, just use what’s available to me and my friend don’t raise the flys

1 Like

Sounds about the right ratio to me. I agree it is light in NPK.

2 Likes

I’ve been vegging bigger plants in smaller pots. Top dressing fresh, black soldier fly frass, and worm castings when the soil starts to get tired-

I could definitely tell a difference when I started adding a Tbs of the frass…

My plants love it.

4 Likes

been doing the same. managed to sex sativas in tiny containers with it. quick response and good duration without burning. wish mine smelled better though, damn.

have you used it outdoors or as a foliar yet?

2 Likes

I saw a post where someone was spraying fermented BSFF-

Sounds interesting, but I don’t know about it.

So far I’ve just used it to top dress my plants in veg…

1 Like