Advanced searches?

Im having difficulty with the search function. Im sure its my ignorance, so Im going to ask for directions :slight_smile:

First, if I just click on the search icon at the top of the forum, then type in something in the search box, I can never get it to actually do a search. Nothing happens. When I hit enter, the box just goes blank. I have to go to advanced search to get it to work, but when I do go to advanced search, the search box is now empty, and I have to type my search term in all over again. . What am I doing wrong there?

Second, when I try to search for a word or especially a two or three word string, I get all sorts of results that are based on parts of the words or single words in the search string or every possible form of each word.

For example, if I search for High Pressure aeroponics, I get results for any post with high, higher, highest, as well as pressure, pressured, pressurization, etc. etc, but no results for High Pressure Aeroponics. Or maybe those results are lost in all the other results.

How can I do a search for exactly that phrase and only that phrase? Put quotes around it or?

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to be working pretty well… it tries to show you the best matches.

You can also do search for exact phrase with quotes … “High Pressure aeroponics”

7 Likes

What @LemonadeJoe said,

Also, you must click the magnifying glass NEXT TO THE SEARCH FIELD! Enter, and the top menu magnifying glass will not do what you want.

This fails the design principle of least astonishment but it is functional.

3 Likes

Ah! The quotes was what I was looking for. Thanks!

1 Like

Not for me. When I click the magnifying glass thingy, then type a search term into the box that pops up, then click the icon again, the box disapears completely and nothing happens at all. If I click it again, the box comes back, but still no results.

EDIT:

Ok, the site is acting up for me. Now the search is working all of a sudden, but I cant quote text and make a reply. Im having to edit this post instead.

Odd. I just did a reboot too.

The site’s been pretty spotty for me for the last several days, across three different devices. Usually it’s pretty solid.

1 Like

I have not been on that much recently. Glad its not just me!

1 Like