After months of rain...a hurricane?

This has been a tough year for gardeners in general in Maine.
The entire state’s peach crop was destroyed, seems to be a combination of cold weather (had a couple of days of -15deg last winter) and too much water early spring and summer.
Strawberry harvest was nothing to rave about, and now apples along the coast got hit with high winds just as they were opening up (one 8mi from my house literally opened Sat, which ended up being when the 'cane came through)

Lots of plants in the area lost to bud rot. My 3 plants got knocked down and all look like this:

I stood them back up and staked them…coming down the final stretch, literally :slight_smile:

I took a minute while down there to start harvesting some top and east-facing branches. The plant that is partially ready also has some rot starting, I’d say it’s less than 5% right now. You have to look really hard to find it, but it’s there. I took probably 15 branches yesterday…but based on what I saw, I’ll probably take that whole plant in the next day or so.
Here’s a bud shot:

A buddy 1/2hr away, who usually has 10-12 huge plants says he’s going to end up buying this winter due to losing so many to rot. He ended up with 4 plants, and even those don’t look healthy.

But in the end, we’re all safe and sound, and these are all basically 1st world problems :slight_smile:

Grow biggly

p.s. I should have taken a video of these plants during the big blow, we had gusts over 70mph here, and it was wild to watch these plants get literally battered by the wind. If you blow up that bud shot, you’ll see the trichs are still intact, so anyone worried about damaging the trichs while washing?..I don’t think you need to worry about that much.

25 Likes

Just started noticing spots of rot on my plants down here on long island already too…it usually doesn’t start until October… definitely first world problems, but man…it sucks!

5 Likes

It definitely seems like I’ve read about more problems than usual this season - septoria seems particularly rampant as has been crazy wind/storm damage. Bud rot I just started to see, others as well. :confused:

I just revised my caterpillar strategy because those little shits are responsible for the rot I cut a few days ago.

But surviving a hurricane and being just a little sideways is a tough plant. What are you growing up there?

Sorry to hear about the damage up there all around seems like most of the agriculture has been affected. Good luck, appreciate your perspective that it’s first-world problems but it still sucks. Crossing my fingers for us both :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Hard to like these posts, but good friends come from common enemies and all…

3 Likes

Safety is most important. Glad everyone is ok.

What cultivar is that in the pic? She’s a champ :green_heart:

4 Likes

I was gifted 3 plants early summer. They were sickly, tall, spindley…clearly a “challenge”, so I took them on and nursed them back to health.
One is Cobra’s Milk, another is labeled “S.F.” (all suggestions welcome) and the third is unlabeled, which is in the pick.

I dusted a few buds on the Cobra’s Milk with some feminized Widow Maker Auto pollen. If it took hold, I should have some Widow’s Milk Fast seeds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was how I prepared for the hurricane

Woke up to this this morning:

I had hemp borers and had to cut into everything, making them weaker. Everything has a little fusarium and septoria it seems but is pushing through so far, just lower yields all around.

I have a video of my Laos in the wind gusts, just need to figure out how to upload it.

I have been defoliating wilting leaves and cutting out bud rot every day! And now its raining again…

7 Likes

Up here in “The County”, we dodged the bullet. Hella Rain/Winds, but no loss of Power. A friend, afraid of just what you experienced, brought over 6 plants, asked if I would finish running them in my Garage Basement. I put up my Lights, they’re now under 12/12 and will finish up inside. Due to earlier medical difficulties, I wasn’t growing. Lost many plants (cuttings) from OG’s own @JohnnyPotseed due to being absent for so long. I inspected everything for insects, Bud Rot, etc. I figured it was the least I could do for a friend, as he can’t do indoors. It has been one rainy year. Hope you’ll be able to salvage something. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

And that’s a friend, right there.

5 Likes

I can relate! Brutal outdoor season here in VT, lots of crop loss at our house. Fingers crossed for better next year

5 Likes

Mostly everyone I know in Western NY has PM.

2 Likes

The PM twords lake Erie is just starting to take off big time im about 5 min from Captain Kids .All my Norcal Backpacks got it even the Skunk#1 got it and am waiting on an order of Dr zymes to try and hold it back at least one more week.Cut 3 buds off with budrot on them.That whole day of rain we had a week ago set off the pace for it and the humidity at 70percent with all the cloudy days is what sealed the deal.Going to be a tough one this year i even sprayed sulpher like a lunatic until they popped pistils and i still got it.The Frankenstein didnt get not one spot and has been laying in PM for days.Thank god she was a producer.Might be the one who carries me through thr winter for all I know

6 Likes

I have tons of JPS seeds, if you want anything specific just say the word, if I have them they’re yours.

5 Likes

The humidity’s been with us all summer it seems.

3 Likes

I’m good, THANKS, I’ve got an order in for everything in @JohnnyPotseed’s inventory. I occasionally get “Snips/Cuts” from him. I’m a BIG Fan of his creations, plus HE’S A GREAT GUY, someone I tremendously admire. Again, THANKS, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

:blush: :+1: Thank you for thos very kind words, my friend!

6 Likes

That’s so very OG of ya, cuz!

4 Likes

The weather has been brutal this year!

I just cut about half of the 2 plants that are “sorta” ready. The third looks like she’s got at least another month to go, so I don’t have much hope for her.

The good news is that for right now, she hasn’t really budded out, so not much for the Rot to get hold of yet.
I took what I could off the other two, more rain today and all day tomorrow.
We’re in “salvage” mode now.

3 Likes

I’ve got Frankie I can send your way if you need @misterbee

3 Likes