Adventures in Yardwork

I don’t know how interesting it’ll ever be, or how much I’ll post, but I thought I ought to start posting some photos from my ongoing outdoor adventures.

So far 2023 has been off to a rough start. I held off on starting seeds, because New England, which avoided some late season frost. Unfortunately I put seedlings out in the field just as we got socked with a week of 90 degree rainless days, which stunted or killed off a bunch of stuff. We finally got through that heat wave only to face week after week of rainy days. Not a great year so far, here’s to hoping it gets better soon. The next 10 days seem to be more of the same.

I’ll start off slow on photos, but expect I’ll have more to show as things progress.

12 Likes

Here’s a couple shots of a Petrolia Headstash F2 that appears to be female.

22 Likes

Nice @yardgrazer looking forward to some NE monsters! We’ve had that same crazy weather this year, hopefully July and August are primo :crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

Cool Man!!! Tagged for follow. :sunglasses: :metal: :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

What size pots are you running bro?

3 Likes

There’s a mix… there are a couple smaller ones… I can’t remember if they’re 20 or 25, then a whole mess of 30s (that was what was pictured), and I bought a few 60s this year. I’ve only filled four or so of the 60s so far, because I found eleven more 30s when I was cleaning in the barn. In past summers I’ve been left wondering if the 30s are too small, I added a whole mess of compochar this year which I’m hoping will improve things. I think I also put out larger plants last year, which may have been part of the “are these too small” problem.

5 Likes

Very nice! I was guessing 20-25, 30’s should be good but as we both know “the bigger the roots…. “ right? 60’s definitely has to be enough. When I was doing my OD guerilla style at first I would dig holes to hold appx. 1/2 a bale of promix and other various amendments mixed in (blood&bone meal, sheep manure, castings, guano , vermiculite and perlite as well as the gels that absorb water and allow you to go a few days longer between waterings) I figure I had the first month covered but the rest was breaking hard, old soil that had been there forever! The roots would spread so far at times I’d find them 20 ft away plus, no joke! I’ve even seen them grow through fabric bags as well. It’s amazing the power of the plant

1 Like

I’m following.

2 Likes

Of course the two Anthromancers (from Antho seeds) that are outperforming most of the other starts look to be male. I’m only planning to keep males from the Gorilla Ghanis, so I’m afraid these will have to go (I’ll give them another day or two).

11 Likes

Along for the journey :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hope you dont mind a rando watching you do yardwork :man_farmer:

2 Likes

Black Lotus F2

A lot of insect and slug activity this year.

8 Likes

Copper tape on the main stalk will keep the slugs/caterpillars away bro.

6 Likes

I knew about copper for slugs, but not caterpillars…

I usually do okay with keeping the grass trimmed short and putting down some slug magic every now and again, but my lawnmower was on the fritz so I let that get out of control for a little while there.

The caterpillars… I have BT on order, should be here in a couple days.

1 Like

Ya BT is much better plus it works on so many other things too :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Lifesaver F2. Hit everything with Regalia last night, looking good besides the slug damage.

8 Likes

I keep taking photos, but most of them are terrible. Took these yesterday, both of the same Petrolia Headstash F2. Damn thick stalks on the PHs, and stocky plants in general. This one isn’t even one of the stockier plants. After I took the photo I topped all of the PHs. Reckoned bushing 'em out a little would be good and maybe help a bit with mold come autumn. As it stands we’ve been in a crazy rain pattern this summer, only catching a day of sun here and there. Hopefully it’ll improve… still a lot more summer left.

13 Likes

Clearly not these two! These look beautiful as do your plants! default_grinning_respect|nullxnull

2 Likes

What size fabric containers are you using?

2 Likes

That’s a 30. I’ve slowly been building a collection of bags, getting bigger and bigger as I go (my last purchase were 65 gallon bags).

3 Likes