Alcohol Infusions?

Precisely - one after another. When my (Japanese) wife first got me to try it, I nearly vomited before spitting it out.

Then I tried it in miso soup and liked it. Then I put it on top of Japanese curry and liked it more. I ate it these ways for a few years and eventually tried it on plain rice. Now I can just eat it plain, and I absolutely love it!

1 Like

Sounds ā€¦ scarilicious. But fermentation is pretty interesting. How complicated is it to make some yourself?

1 Like

My research is pretty limited so far, but it doesnā€™t seem too difficult. For example https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/soy/how-to-make-homemade-natto/

I got the idea because my wife just bought a big container of homemade stuff from a friend of hers. I figure why buy hers if we can make our own (although she charged us very little money for a heck of a lot of Nattō). The friend says it is easy to make, so I think Iā€™ll give it a shot.

Iā€™m going to give sauerkraut another try too. My first batch plugged the air-lock and blew foul-smelling liquid all over the wall.

2 Likes

Weā€™re completely derailing the thread, luckily itā€™s yours. :smile:
Those instructions remind me I wanted to give :mushroom::mushroom::mushroom: another try after the last batch got mold. So many ideas, so lazy.
I actually considered doing sauerkraut at some point. But I donā€™t eat a lot of it so I tend to forget about it.

1 Like

Meh, the original thread is over because I realized I was being stupid and decided to just make a tincture @ReikoXā€™s way, so let the derailing continue - or not. Iā€™m easy either way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This thread made me inquire about my local everclear equivalent again and I found some. Too late for the harvest I wanted to use it with but anyway good to know I can get it. I think Iā€™ll do a tincture with all fresh herb next time and wait for natural decarb. I want more terpenes in my life :smiley:

4 Likes

It definitely makes the tastiest tinctures!

4 Likes

Love sauerkraut.

My mom tried to make some back in the 70ā€™s the old fashioned way with the big crock, oak rounds and big rock for weight.
Woke up one morning and the maggots were just giving out of the crock. Lol

2 Likes

I always use >90%. So far I just let it soak forever because I didnā€™t mind the grassy taste. This time I wanted to do it differently but then couldnā€™t get the alcohol :unamused: I think Iā€™ll do an all-fresh tincture next time and let it decarb on the shelf. I have two mandarin strains that might be great if they are anything like I expect them.

2 Likes

ā€œI went to OG for weed and all I got was a lousy recipe to make sauerkraut.ā€ I just watched a youtube video about it and I think Iā€™ll give it a try. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thereā€™s always Watermelon to help you out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent! I just had a smidge of Tangerine Dream and then watched it. She seems like a pretty happy woman!

1 Like

Happy, but maybe not high. I am not confident in her short, no heat, alcohol only decarboxylation. Gonna take more than a couple weeks, I think.

1 Like

I really need to set a weekend aside to re-read your Not Just Another Tincture thread again.

Based on your discussion of Lower Proof Alcohol, for someone such as myself that lives in (most of) Canada without easy access to Everclear, what would you suggest is a minimum % alcohol by volume?

2 Likes

The highest available :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Watermelon (Mary Jean Dunsdon) is definitely one of my faves :slight_smile:

The no-decarb thing is something that several of my fellow users swear by. I always decarb. Watermelon had Dr. Hornsby on one of these vids and he said that they had tested many home grown edibles and many were surprisingly high in THCA when it should be THC.

I wonder if sheā€™s altered her process in later videos.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the final summary of that. Thereā€™s also a link for the table of contents for that thread at the bottom of the first post so that everyone doesnā€™t have to wade through the 1107 pages.

Index/Table of Contents

2 Likes

If you used isolate or extract youā€™d be able to control more accurately how much gets infused than with herb where youā€™re guessing %s and thing.

Using 2nd wash or trim runs might be efficient but it would probably add some funky flavors, using better quality would be sort of a waste but might taste really good.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got plenty to ā€œwasteā€, and making extracts is not a part of the plan.

2 Likes