The Ultimate Catch-All Product

Friends, I bring today a question. I have breathing problems, so smoking flower is no go. I currently am stuck with the dispensary, but will be making my own soon enough. This is what I have this week, some Durban crumble.

The question is, what’s a fairly efficient to extract, easy (and cheap to make), clean full melt concentrate that could replace flower for vaporizer patients? I had thought it was ice water or dry ice hash with some good filtering, but I always find myself coming back to BHO\CO2 extracts for flavor and efficiency.

I’m not a big fan of open blasting, not super responsible. But it’s the only method I can afford. I imagine many medical patients can relate (and others too). Another issue is the solvent. So 100% purging is crucial. I don’t know about a vacuum oven, but I think a simple vacuum chamber could be considered affordable enough.

So what I’m taking a long time to ask is, with these meager means what kind of product can I make at home? I’m liking this crumble, very manageable in many applications. Terps are surprisingly good for how dry it is. But forgive my ignorance, I’ve done some research on extracts but I don’t super understand the actually making of it. Type of person that will only 60% understand it until I do it myself.

So feel free to dumb the answer down. Like way down. I have an engineering background, but maybe other readers don’t.

8 Likes

Depending on where you live, if you can get it, grain alcohol can be used to make a food grade extract without any fancy equipment. Fort drying, you can just leave it out covered with just a towel or cheese cloth and let it dry naturally.

12 Likes

It works and can yield a nice golden oil I’ve done it many times but the evaporation process leaves little/no terpenes and alcohol tends to pull undesirable things like waxes and chlorophyll. If you evaporate under vacuum it would help immensely.

Keep the alcohol cold as hell and wash quickly helps prevent pulling undesirables but it’s far less efficient than butane, overall.

For home use, though, making rosin from bubble hash or open blast BHO are your best options.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the extent of your breathing problems but I find with bubble hash I only have to smoke a match head sized amount to get where I want to be. It’s a heavy smoke, but it’s only one hit, you know?

5 Likes

I’ll have to look into vacuum curing QWET. I haven’t done any quick washes but I’m no stranger to tinctures.

But yeah, I find much chlorophyll at all bothersome to the airways. Whatever I period I’ll have to get real good at cleaning it, unless I go BHO.

3 Likes

Oh for sure. Match head is about right. I get short relief so I dose more often so I might go a bit smaller but yeah.

I can smoke occasionally, if I’m mindful to get enough air. Low temp vaporized concentrates have been the easiest.

4 Likes

Maybe bubble hash pressed into rosin smoked out of a vaporizer.

4 Likes

Edibles are another good option, especially if you have concerns about smoking. I don’t smoke flower at all anymore. I’ll hit the bubble once in awhile and sometimes use cookies to fall asleep. You just need to get the dosage right. I find ~40mg to be about right.

6 Likes

Yup what i was going to say. Get some everclear and make qwet. Its comes back suprisingly potent. Full melt and if done right like shatter after it dries. Do the quick wash with frozen material for cleanest return.

4 Likes

Totally agree on the price point, I was (and always still am) nervous when I blast, both because of legal issues and the chance of fire Hazzard. But I always take precautions and also have a vacuum purge pump setup . Though I am curious is there a specific method for crumble as end result?

2 Likes

Pressing dry ice hash into rosin is extremely efficient, solventless and clean. That’s what I’ve settled on, because I don’t have the patience for much else. If you go through the process of making bubble hash, you can get a better product. But in the end, only you can decide how much expenditure of time and effort is worth it for the increases in quality.

For me, I can turn a whole harvest into dry ice hash in 1 hour, and press it into very clean rosin in another 2. There’s not much of anything leftover when I smoke it, and that’s good enough for me. For the people seeking the ultimate level of rosin purity, there’s always more you can do to improve it.

10 Likes

From my research, crumble is just shatter you whip up and purge at a lower temp, for longer.

It’s like… sugar, but dry and wax. That glossy bit is was it’s melted.

2 Likes

That was a good read thank you :blush:

1 Like

Have you thought about decarbing it and mix it with MCT and lecithin for a edible oil?

1 Like

For sure, I’ve got my canna caps down. But my body just doesn’t respond much.

Plus, I’m very much in search for an instant relief method. Lungs are the only apparent option, although I need to try sublingually more. IME though it was just a tiny bit faster than caps.

2 Likes

I use a roor Carbon filter on my bong ’ that’s a pretty clean smoke , for the hit you get : ) clean like vapeing but with the hit of combustion : )

2 Likes

I just made alcohol extract, this is my first big batch. I did 33 grams of Sherbet Cookies Trim, poured in enough 151 proof bacardi (best I could find) to cover it, and then let it passively reduce for about a week.

Ended up with just around 100 ml of fairly pure cannabis extract.

I think @ReikoX would be proud.

9 Likes

As is @Seamonkey84, I’m from Maine. We have a company that produces Food Grade Ethanol, Quart, 100% Ethyl Alcohol (200 proof), $39.00…Culinarysolvent.com SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Here in IL the 190 proof isn’t too expensive. Fifths for $15.

I wonder if there’s a notable difference between the two in the finished product.

1 Like

Personally I am more of a solvent less concentrate person. A little bit of an investment to get a rosin press (300-400$) But well worth is. I press CBD rosin from hemp and THC rosin from home grown. This is a picture from 2 days ago before I jarred it up.
Just now from the jar. Smells amazing. Unlimited dabs with a press. Also this was a 120 micron bag at 185 degrees

9 Likes