All these scammers

Shag if I actually read all your posts. I couldn’t read anyone else’s. :100: Not enough hours in the day. :rofl:

2 Likes

I have voiced my opinion in the same fashion you and others have voiced yours.

Again, you guys have been sharing yours. I shared mine.

I don’t see a double standard here. Everyone that has been called out as a known scammer has been banned. Hugh_Glass, Worcestershire_Farms, Dr.Gonzo13, etc, etc.

So if not instilling any rules on the site or persons, what are you proposing exactly besides just complaining about the actions of others? Honestly/seriously here. I’m confused.

5 Likes

Wow! Someone that seems to get it. :exploding_head:
Well said brother…very well said. :heart_eyes:
No crazy rules for everyone, no crazy restrictions, just security it really is that simple.

It is a super simple concept, I do not understand all the drama.
We are all looking for ways to secure our generosity…

If you are not in support of this…
I feel you are part of the problem.
But that is just my opinion, nothing more.

3 Likes

The idea of someone coming on here and being fresh to growing and getting a 16 week landrace as some of their first seeds is really cracking me up

11 Likes

That’s if you get the fast ones :rofl:

4 Likes

For me an effective strategy has been to just quietly offer relevant beans to people who are genuinely interested in the genetics; IE have been following a thread where the seeds are being made prior to a public offer for free beans. Utilizing roll calls and RNG giveaways in posts to me is an extremely tacky way to buy (low quality) engagement in threads. I don’t know where you live but if you put out a sign here indicating you’re giving stuff away for free all sorts of weird people will come out of nowhere motivated by getting something for free… Maybe some self reflection on how you’re going about sharing is in order for everyone.

18 Likes

this is the part i am having a hard time wrapping my head around. why on earth would you not answer a question or give growing advice to someone because of scammers? how the fuck is that even relevant? where are the two connected? you just decide not to have a friendly banter with a newbie because he might ask for free seeds? or is it actual helpful advice that you are withholding, again because a member is new and may be a scammer or because a scammer took something from you before in that situation? i honestly cannot comprehend what else the issue might be and truly want to know if you can explain it to me.

4 Likes

The jist of this entire thread should have been summed up in one or maybe as many as three posts in the user feedback thread.

The problem w OG right now is how pointless arguments garner so much attention as this, yikes. Look out :kissing_cat::sweat_smile::rofl:

9 Likes

I must say this statment was incorrect.
There are other kniown scammers that have not been banned.
That is why we are here dicussing this.
It would seem a lot of folks are still in the dark on this topic/.

Well to be honest you could and read the thread this way you could see exactly where I stand, I have made it crystal clear, at least I feel I did, I honestly tried my best.

I have stated the same thing over and over, maybe 5 times now so forgive me if I lost my patience for those who choose not to read what I already posted many many times.

To summarize for those who just can’t be bothered to read the post themselves…

We are asking for suggestions as to what could be done to make security better.
We are not demanding anything from the site.
We are hoping the site could provide us with a way to accomplish our goal to secure our generosity
If not we will attempt to figure it out on our own, no hard feelings.

I suggested we network together and talk amoung ourselves to keep one another aware of potential scammers in the mist.

Some of us are doing this already and we have found it to be very effective.
We have stated several members from sending seeds to a known scammer.

So this method has been tested and it has been found to work very well.
Tried and tested and found to be effective.

But some folks keep insisting there is nothing we can do.
Well, that is obviously wrong and has been proven to be wrong.
But folks keep insisting nothing can be done.
I say hogwash, we are already doing something and it works very well.
We just need more members involved in the project for it to increase its effectiveness.

So to say we can not stop it and nothing can be done about it is just a cop-out if you ask me.

This is what is happening to this site.
We are drawing in the riff raff with the free seeds sign.
I have used the bears in the dump analogy, I thought it was a good one.

What happens when a bear gets free food?
He keeps coming back and he brings his friends with him too.
What is the solution for these bears once they get hooked on the free food?
They will never stop coming back.
Unless…

Should we keep feeding the bears?
I personally think it will end badly if we do.

2 Likes

Know one is reading the same B.S over and over and over again. Please leave us in the dark.

3 Likes

This.

I am pretty curious how you’d suggest getting rid of them without more hoops for everyone else?

That’s kind of harsh, no?

Does that extend to those of us (like me) who realize that on a free site like this that is chock full of people sharing, that there are going to be scammers no matter what we do?

I believe that every scammer or vulture at SOME point will realize they have more seeds than they could ever use, that they’ll have a “Grinch” moment where their heart grows three sizes and they’ll turn into a mini Doug Dawson themselves.

Maybe showering everyone with seeds regardless of whether they might scam us is the way to go?

3 Likes

13 Likes

Yep. :100:

1 Like

Again, you are implying we as a community, or the site itself, limits what people are doing here.

The site and community already offer numerous ways to vet who you are dealing with, I.E. User post history. Feedback thread. Negative feedback thread. Threads like this calling people out.

5 Likes

i too wonder what is being proposed if not more restrictions that i have to follow? otherwise tell me what the fuck is going on like i asked earlier. i notice that nobody responded to that one. if someone lost money to another user that is a scam. where was it, who, when, etc? if not, if it was a trade, then it wasn’t a scam, it was a ripoff.

edit: that wasn’t to you the what the fuck part.

Calling out people that have already moved on to other screen names with trust levels. These fuckface tiny dick bad actors are laughing at the attention this thread keeps giving them.
Now tell me how that helps the issue. You cant.

2 Likes

yeah can’t help sock puppet accounts, but they’re generally easy to spot. Low post count, low read count, posts only in free seed threads, posts only asking for seeds.

If someone games the system and trust of the users to then run off with the money ala hugh_glass style, there is no amount of safety that can be done to prevent that, short of just not doing it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even put it past them to be in this thread encouraging this on and on and on. B.S. We have determined they like the attention.

1 Like

Overgrow is an forum open for registration. Meaning anyone can come along and register a new account at will. This has both positive and negatives.

The bulk majority of community members are good folk that are looking to contribute here. Although, there will always be individuals that look for ways to take advantage of the open nature of this forum. Add to that free and unencumbered giveaways, there will be bad actors that will sign-up just for the free. Doesn’t matter if it’s seeds or a bit of pocket lint. They are wired to take advantage in order to get something of perceived value with a minimum amount of work/effort involved.

The majority of the time, the bad actors are easily determined echoing the same refrain and working the emotional aspects of human nature. Many times nonsensical. Got in a car crash, need free seeds. My house exploded, need free seeds.

Other times it is a more complex and nuanced scenario involving sock puppets, multiple personalities, persistence, and experience. This is where the moderation team regularly lives and takes action when needed.

Unfortunately, there have been fancy scam efforts. True scamming efforts that has everyone fooled and taken. Fortunately, this has been relatively rare.

As has been echoed a number of times, the person giving away seeds can set there own barriers to entry that are specific to their effort. Or, none at all. It’s entirely up to the individual as they are the owners of the effort. As long as the ‘rules’ are not blatantly violating the site TOS, are for profit/commercial, or have divisive elements.

If someone wants to limit availability to those with history and a level of trust, it is their choice.
If someone wants to give away something for free without any restrictions, it is also their choice.

The moderation team does look at new users for key indicators although deference is generally provided until additional evidence of bad behavior is collected. What this means is that it is up to individuals to make judgment calls … but this should be in a non-confrontation manner as not everyone is familiar with how things work within the community. A push in the right direction is preferred and is regular. Individual participation rules help to make that clear at the outset if an individual wishes to minimize attracting the hit-and-run types. There are plenty of ways to manage this. There is even a private lounge limited to certain TLs.

The simplest way to encourage good behavior, and to minimize the number of hit-and-run users, is to limit what you may be giving away to members that have very little community history. Encourage those folks to build a history.

Just a reminder for the newer users, seed begging is discouraged. Repetition and seed begging via PM is a bannable offense. Learn and contribute to the community. That is the path that opens doors.

Same idea with trades. It is the nature of the beast. Caveat emptor.

27 Likes

Please forgive me if I do not type it again.
This would be time #5 or 6.
So my patience is a bit thin, again please forgive me I do not intend to be rude here.
Just look at the short summary above for this answer.

Nope, it is brutally honest.
If you are on the side of scammers then you have no place in my life here or elsewhere.
Folks who set out to intentionally deceive other folks have no place in my world and neither do folks who support this type of action.
I have zero tolerance for liars and thieves, sorry if that is a bit hash but it is how I feel and I feel very strongly about this too.

If you are promoting the scammers and supporting them then I would guess it could include you in that statement, but I should hope you would not support known scammers.

Does greed usually have that kind of effect on people, I always thought the greedy always want more and more and more, that is how greed often works.
@DrGonzo13 is a perfect real life example of this.
He always wanted more, and more and more.
He never stopped until he was forcibly stopped.

If you wish to give gifts to those who intentionally deceive you that is your choice.
I would not stop you, but may I suggest that is not the best idea?
To me this sorta action is gonna cause a seed shark feeding frenzy.

Shall we put an ad on Instagram free seed to all no strings attached?
Come and get em…LOL
That should pack em in here… :rofl: