Alternate cloning technique

I’ve finally found a successful method (for me anyways) of coaxing a very young/small apical meristem (top) to root.

I have a bunch of glass yogurt jars laying around from one of those yogurt maker kits.

I realized that common foam collars fit perfectly in these jars. So I took a foam collar and filleted it to make it half as thick.

When I topped one of my plants I decided to give this a go.

• Fill the jar with RO.
  • Snip the top.
  • Dunk directly/immediately into Clonex.
  • Collar the top; pop it into the jar… it floats on the water but also provides a bit of a seal at the threaded neck of the jar, which turned out to lessen evap by a great margin, even on a heat mat.

Surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly depending on who you are), after about two weeks with no changes to the water, under 18/6 on a heat mat, I have this:

It’s obviously not a production method but it was “too easy”, considering this top was really short, taken just above the 5th node early in veg.

So yes you can stick it in a glass of water and get the same result… but this method seemingly allows for a much more delicate/tiny top to root while keeping the water from evaporating much, while keeping the top in the “correct” position the whole time. Just wanted to share in case it inspires some new thoughts or feedback! I consider myself to be a “terrible” clone whisperer and was excited to see these chunky roots forming after callusing over.

19 Likes

I do this a lot too :+1:.

Seems to take a little longer, but pretty much 100% success.

4 Likes

Oh very cool! I was concerned that the light hitting the root area would do something I didn’t want, either by funking up the water or maybe light on the roots is undesirable. Before this I had tried cloner box situation with air stone, a little bit of pool shock, hormones, (I was and am enamored with @eskobar’s methods). I still want to get that working for me in time, but for now this is pretty solid.

3 Likes

This method is a slippery slope as I’m sure you’re aware. Next you’ll add a small air pump to just slightly improve the speed and success. Then a little diffuser, then another air pump, then a water pump and a manifold. Then youll wake up one morning, chin covered in drool and when you rub the clonex out of your eyes you’ll see your diy 25 site recirculating aero cloner basking in the morning sunlight. You smile and go back to sleep.

11 Likes

It’s not ideal for sure. But this method is about as set and forget as it can get. Pool noodles make good floaters :+1:

3 Likes

Haha I got halfway there with this confabulation!! Now pictured in it’s natural state of “project I’ll pick back up at some point” :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh I am very familiar with this state of existence, lol :joy:

3 Likes

Based on this picture you’re pretty much finished already :+1:

1 Like

I did all that to find that the husky bin reliably leaks. I thought the top seal between the lid and bin was decent enough but alas, it almost needs a gasket of some sort.

It did have a pump system which I could use to remove or add water for exchanges without opening the lid. I repurposed that as a trigger activated water hose for the nursery tent. It has a thumb button which triggers the pump under that aviation switch cover thingy.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to hear that because mine is a shitty Rubbermaid and doesn’t leak.

I do leave the water level low though and don’t submerge the cut end I just let the mist from the bubbles keep them damp.

3 Likes

Honestly I think it’s my printed spray manifolds jetting water into the seal. I also tried a pond fogger instead of a pump/spray and didn’t get roots using that… I should try again. Same here with water level, it’s low and just high enough for the pumps to be submerged (maybe 3").

1 Like

Maybe try airstones and try to salvage the project instead of starting over? Worth a try. I dunno.

1 Like

I think an air stone in shallow water with the stem just above the water level (1/4-1/2”) so the bubbles hit it is really hard to beat.

1 Like

Ya! This! :+1:

2 Likes

I actually take it one step further than this. I put the clone in hydroton in a net pot and let it wick to the stem.

Also ducking autocorrect creating more issues than it solves…see? For duck sakes.

3 Likes

I definitely will, thanks for the motivation and info!!!

1 Like

Honestly I think the best method is to use a cloning gel and seedling tray with media or a rooting plug. I have had limited success with other methods and near 100% success with a rooting gel. Clonex and FOOP are recommended…

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Redneck engineering time… :smile: :vulcan_salute:

Get a tube of RTV (aquarium grade), run a bead around where you want the gasket. cover with cling wrap and close the lid.
The RTV will form the gasket and the cling wrap will (help) prevent you from gluing the lid to the box… Once the RTV is set up trim the excess.
You should be good to go.
Check the orientation of your spray heads, I had to tweak mine to get them from spraying out the power cord port…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I’ve been doing this for 15 years no joke. At one point this was our only method utilized, had cups everywhere. And it always works, I’ve ever had maybe 3-4 that didn’t root, as opposed to my dome/dip/powder/heat mat/etc. method. The only real difference is speed of development. Also in ideal conditions I can get cuts (very important they are from truly healthy moms) to root with a tray, grodan insert, done with thermometer/hygrometer built in and some liquid clonex in 8-10 days with an extremely wide variety of cultivars. I I also add a drop of bleach per gallon. That’s the trick and it works believe me

3 Likes

What a great idea, thank you!! And yes to the spray head orientation, I print blanks and drill holes and honestly these suckers are pumping out way too much water. I thought I needed two pumps but one is plenty for the little bin.

I was messing around with pool shock but I’d much rather just add a drop of bleach.

I’ll be trying some things out here my friends!

3 Likes