Nature Farm Guy teaches how to callous clones

I found this interesting from one of my favorite seed companies TheNature Farm. As many know I grow out alot of his seeds and pay for every one so I give always a fair review. Always great plants worth the minimal cost he charges for the work. I learn from the instagram account and here is some screen shots from the callousing clones posts you may find interesting. Basically he is saying to use a mix to heal the wounds on the clones before planting. This prevents disease from direct injection into the plant. Makes sense and thought I would post a thread that was more serious for a change. Enjoy!
Get this guys plants sometime. He always answers questions as well. Some breeders do not ever respond. Many are too good for it no matter how “busy” they are. TNF dude is a good one to follow.

https://www.instagram.com/thenaturefarm/

25 Likes

I follow him too and have purchased a nice bit of his gear.

Have you found anything remotely thick and skunky?

2 Likes

Yes all his plants smell really nice. I find the skunk comes out in crosses to other breeders skunks the most. It’s there in certain phenos of the skunk packs everytime. Some skunkier than others. I liked all of his stuff esp for breeding crosses. He for sure knows about farming and I plan on utilizing this technique.
What about your exp growing TNF seeds

6 Likes

Very informative, I’ve seen slownickel posting some info related to this as well. Shows some pictures of rotting from a not fully calloused clone.

8 Likes

I havent popped any yet. Just bought them when I had the chance, for future searches.

3 Likes

Thanks for this brother…
I’ll try it one day…

2 Likes

I’ve seen encapsulated steam rot after harvesting before.
I attributed it to an infection from cloning.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Those remind me of the pics I saw from @eskobar’s thread. I don’t remember if he said anything about callous first, but he had the nodules on the base of his clones, like that. Viruses are a real deal lately and everyone should be aware of it.

5 Likes

I made a thread about a month ago about having brown in the meristem of a plant, and it was definitely from not getting a proper callus on a clone. I’ve been seeing the nature farm clone posts and it’s been making things click in my head. It’s interesting to learn more and more little ways things can go wrong.

7 Likes

We’re a part of the largest open source lab in the universe. :grinning:

7 Likes

This seems to be a really important step I have missed my entire farming career. Do you think just keeping the cuttings in clean water will cover the scars? This really has me thinking.

2 Likes

That’s crazy man wow

This is an interesting idea. Not something I’ve considered before. I’m not even sure if my clones have ever been calloused or not.

But yes, I just use clean water and change it out every 4-5 days.

2 Likes

Wow, really fascinating. You learn something new every day!

1 Like

I saw pico post a pic of a mature stem chopped, it had a hole in it! He was talking about this also

1 Like

Very cool brother. I too am a fan of TNF. Love this

2 Likes

:eyes:

Uhh… fo real?

That was a lot of squinting :sweat_smile: just to learn: CHLORINE - kills plant disease but not plants.

:call_me_hand:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

That’s not what I found interesting. What I tool away from it was to wait longer before transplanting clones. If you transplant before that callous fully seals, you are leaving an open wound (so to speak) and can get an infection.

I don’t know how that applies to rooting in a cube or cup. No way to see when the calous is fully closed.

10 Likes

I’m also wondering how this plays into rooting in soil

4 Likes

@PineScented I’ve seen some people swear by developing a callus in still water before putting the clone in medium. Never done it myself.

3 Likes