AMAZING Study learning from sound emitted by plants?

This is a fascinating repost i stumbled upon and wanted to share from a fellow preservationist:

Sounds emitted by plants under stress are airborne and informative.

Stressed plants show altered phenotypes, including changes in color, smell, and shape. Yet, airborne sounds emitted by stressed plants have not been investigated before.

Here we show that stressed plants emit airborne sounds that can be recorded from a distance and classified. We recorded ultrasonic sounds emitted by tomato and tobacco plants inside an acoustic chamber, and in a greenhouse, while monitoring the plant’s physiological parameters.

We developed machine learning models that succeeded in identifying the condition of the plants, including dehydration level and injury, based solely on the emitted sounds. These informative sounds may also be detectable by other organisms.

This work opens avenues for understanding plants and their interactions with the environment and may have significant impact on agriculture.

Many animals, including herbivores and their predators,respond to sound.Recently, plants were also demonstrated to respond to sounds, by changing the expression of specific genes,or by increasing sugar concentration in their nectar.

Here we show that plants indeed emit airborne sounds, which can be detected from several meters away, both in acoustic chambers and in greenhouses. Moreover, we show that the emitted sounds carry information about the physiological state of the plant.

source: Sounds emitted by plants under stress are airborne and informative - PubMed

2 Likes

Pictures to give you a sense of some of the info and pique that curiosity>

vibespaper1.PNG

vibespaper2.PNG

vibespaper3.PNG

vibespaper4.PNG

vibespaper5.PNG

vibes paper 6.PNG

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m sure they can communicate as well. I’ve seen people that can and have heard them. No doubt. This kind of stuff is on a whole different level.

Pawsfodocaws

1 Like

What frequency does the plant talk at? Nevermind. I see it at the bottom of the pictures :crazy_face:

1 Like