Anyone cloned an actual tree?

Plenty of good input and encouragement in the replies, thanks you.

I’ll be reading up a bit on air layering and cuts direct to soil. Late spring to summer i hope to update this thread…

7 Likes

oooh, don’t they look pretty!!

my greenhouse is waiting for mine. I need to sort out heating for it. I’ll take a shot of them when I get home.

3 Likes

When we bought the property previous owners wanted a bunch of cuttings from the fruit trees and stone bushes …five gallon buckets of slop mud they used and swore by it !

4 Likes

At my last place, we had an apple tree in the back yard and I was trimming it up in the spring. I took one of the branches I cut off and stuffed it in a pot full of soil to use as a trellis for some snow peas and eventually the branch rooted and had new growth on it. Sure surprised me!

3 Likes

Anyone got tips for cloning English Boxwood bushes? Going to try and take a few hundred Boxwood cuttings this year.

5 Likes

Same thing, Always take green wood cuttings at the start of the season, add to soil, keep moist. Woody plants have lower success rates so I always suggest 5 cuttings per 1 desired plant. I probably got a textbook with it.

3 Likes

Thanks! That def helps. Where should I keep/store the cuttings while waiting for them to root? Should I build a hoop house or something?

2 Likes

No just treat em like normal clones. You can dome them and mist if you want. It will help with success but it’s not required. Just keep the soil moist and after two weeks you can give the stems a little tug to see if they’re rooted. If they don’t start to root they’ll just pull right out. If they pull out but you can see it’s starting to root just put it back. It’s easy to tell when you see it. I’d leave them be for at least 4 weeks just keep them in a 3x3 or 4x4 pot to root. You can use an old milk jug or old dairy container like cottage cheese if you prefer. Make sure it’s dairy because it will block light. Best of luck.

3 Likes

I put some fig tree cuttings from last Autumn in the fridge thinking that I will be rooting them in Spring…
They actually go into stasis just like weed cuttings, so I’m just gonna stick them in the ground sometimes after the frost is over…
I’m not gonna spend time/overthinking on trying to root them because I’ll be busy with my vegetable garden…Hope your mom & sister’s fig clones are doing well also…

3 Likes

@GCBudz we’ve gotten Japanese maples sprouts from seeds that fell into the mulch around the mama tree base. Acers really want to sprout :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rented a house in Montana last May, there was a few nice aspens in the backyard I damn near took a few cuts from.

Wasn’t sure if putting in my wife’s carryon for flight home and if it would be ok when I got home a month later. Love to have an Aspen in Pa.

2 Likes

My friends neighbor had a Japanese Maple and I would always see saplings under in the mulch. I had permission to pluck any I found… but never seemed to remember to do so.

I have mulch under mine… red as well… gotta coordinate!.. I haven’t seen any as of yet. Perhaps it’s not mature enough to seed?

1 Like

It amazes me that I forget you can find damn near anything on youtv…

8 Likes

Yup this is a clone. I forgot what kind but it flowers pretty nicely. We have a big one that we brought to a friends house to get more sun. It flowered and she gave my girls a a flowering cutting. We put it in a cup of water and put it on our plant table and it started showing roots in about a week or so.

3 Likes

My Dad has done it with fruit trees-- and has grafted branches onto other trees as well-- had anapple tree with 5 varieties as a kid. I remember watching him, and he gave me his book on it.
The easiest way is to pick a larger branch, score the bark to just pierce the bark into the green cadmium layer… do 1/2-1’’ incisions lengthwise all around he branch about 1/4-1/2’’ apart. Coat with a hardwood cloning gel, wrap with damp peat moss and wrap rather tightly with plastic wrap.
Duct tape it on both ends-- and check weekly so it doesn’t dry out.
If you start early spring before the sap runs-- it should be well rooted by early Fall.
Then you just cut off the branch slightly below the roots and plant it!
Best to plant it to over-winter and establish more roots in a large tree-pot indoors ,or in a shed/garage… cold is fine, just not wind, ice etc…then plant in-ground the next spring!

3 Likes

Missed this before I posted!! :blush: :+1:

1 Like

I’ll be repotting them soon.

4 Likes

generally started in the spring and ready by late summer, that’s what the bonsai guys do to have a steady supply of new trees…

4 Likes

You will get figs this year…

3 Likes

I did not read the whole thread of responses, so not sure if anyone gave this same answer but I have a college plant propagation text book that I can go back and reference. I know I looked it up at some point t and I think you wanna grab the new growth in the spring before it turns woody. There’s a specific hort term for that. Then a pretty high concentration of IBA rooting hormone, stick it, and mist/dome it. If you try and take a woody cutting I think the success rate is very low. Good luck!

1 Like