Anyone cloned an actual tree?

I’d recommend looking into getting rootstock and grafting that branch onto rootstock that will manage the size of your tree and is resistant to diseases. If you pant that rooted branch in the ground it may get crazy big and will likely get a disease very quickly. Cherry trees are very susceptible to blight and other diseases.

You may be better off macguyvering your own air layering “pod”. Saran wrap to hold the media against the branch, and tape to make it water and air tight. And some rooting hormone where you scraped the branch

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Hey newb2.0, that is exactly what I’ve been seeing out on the interwebs.
Most folks are using much bigger balled up air layering parcels, not sure if that is the correct term.
For me, it just became a I wonder if I can type of project.
We have had this Plumeria cutting from Florida, for many years now, and it is an easy cloning plant.
Just to keep it to a size I can handle, as it must come indoors to winter, I cut it, and clone the chunks.
I gave away maybe 6-7 a few years ago. Just found out I can sell the leafed cuttings for some decent bucks. A friend learned I gave them away, after he paid $65.00 for a small 12-13 inch leafed plant.
I also did root figs after reading Phills, words a few years ago, they root very easy, and that makes them fun for folks.
Mine have their winter clothes on now.

2 Likes

Amazon.com : Markeny Reusable Plant Rooting Ball, Plant Propagation Root Ball Effective Invisible Propagation(15PCS) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

1 Like

Beat me to it!! Saw those and just might get some !

1 Like

This is perfect tech for rooting hardwood cuttings.

2 Likes

Those balls look cool, but a handful of sphagnum moss and some stretch wrap do the same thing, and you can see the roots.

2 Likes

The plastic ones have a fluted top to allow watering to the medium inside, I see that being a pita with clear wrap.

These pods are available with one half clear side.

1 Like

Afaik the root stock for apples is hawthorne or blackthorn, there’s a list of reasons apples are grafted to them, they help them cope with dry/wet spells better, they prevent the tree growing into a tall apple tree it’ll stay more compact with black or hawthorne root.

I seen a thing on TV last week with Michael Portillo, architecture the railways built, apparently 85% of the worlds commercial apples derive from root stock crossed/bred by East Crawley or Cawley farm, they build a purpose made farm decades ago dedicated to root growth and study they have pits dug and glassed for monitoring root growth, apparently root stock affects the leaf ratio sugar size etc?

3 Likes

I was just talking about air grafting the other day…

I want to put redbuds back in the front yard and they are everywhere around here so it seems the easiest way to go about it… plus you can make the new “tree” as tall as you want depending on branch size

3 Likes

I can how it could be, but we don’t usually ever need to add water, seems to stay just moist enough.

Redbuds are really easy to air layer, but at least around here, it’s even easier to dig up naturally seeded ones… they come up everywhere!

1 Like

It sounds like you’re going to start something ambitious, like a hedge or something similar. It might be worth researching box blight before committing to a long term venture like this. Would suck to have a gorgeous hedge in a couple decades and have it poof gone.

I’m actually going to take a bunch of yew cuttings this spring, maybe not hundreds though haha.

2 Likes

Here’s some fig tree cuttings that I put in my bottom drawer crisper in the fridge, it’s in stasis and it’s been in there since autumn, that’s over 4 months ago and it’s still green…I’m actually rooting it now as I write this post…

8 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Wish I’d have thought of that for the lilacs I want to attempt.

Nuff Sedd…nothing fancy just a cup of water with an aquarium pump will do…

6 Likes

Update… it’s a fig fruit, I thought it was a leaf

8 Likes

How do you pollinate your figs?

It will never ripen, it needs a wasp to be pollinated…it’s still winter here in central Illinois and definitely no wasps around specially indoors in my house…

Done thousands over the years. Dogwoods mostly, but if you can get dogwood to root then you’ll have no trouble with other stuff.

Time of year for taking soft wood vs hard wood cuts vary but other than that it’s as simple as a small, well drained box filled with sand.

Take your cuts and place in sand with a dome/plastic cover to help slow down evaporation. Keep it damp but not soaked.

Spray enough water in the box to keep things turgid but not enough to promote rot/mold.

3 Likes

I’ve got 2 Oak trees that an ex stuck in the ground, and they both took, now it’s kinda hard to get rid of them. She planted one right next to the garage (great idea) and now every couple years have to go out and chop down all the new growth.

2 Likes