Anyone cloned an actual tree?

I wanted to do this the last few years. I have the gear now so indulge me if you will…

Few years back I planted a few Japanese Maple bloodred types. Myself and neighbors love the color it puts out. They have all expressed interest if I were to clone it. The idea is to line the street with glowing red trees down both sides… on our short 5 house dead end street.

Anyone done it? @Pigeonman you come to mind when thinking who may have…

I have an aerocloner, tray and dome, and iv googled it seeing some stick a cutting in a container… I’m leaning towards riot plugs in tray on front porch…

Thinking during when new leaves start to show, or should I wait a few weeks till she’s filled out?

Few years old but this is the tree.

20 Likes

Layering may work better with a tree.

12 Likes

I’m unfamiliar, I’ll research it. Thanks bro!

2 Likes

I’m going to attempt to root cuttings from my giant lilac bushes this year. I’ll let you know how it goes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally I think I’d take cuttings and plant them directly into loose airy soil in a container, probably a whole bunch reckoning some might not take. A search online suggests that you should take cuttings in late spring/early summer.

3 Likes

I’ve never actually done it, but I think the chances of success are higher because it stays attached to the original tree until it grows roots. Takes a lot longer for that to happen with a tree.

6 Likes

Some part of me wonders how easy it is to pull-off… as opposed to straight up rooting shoots or grafting. I reckon there’s a reason apple orchard people do grafting (K.I.S.S.?). Admittedly it could be as simple as “When you’re collecting shoots, you don’t have the time to wait around for layering to work”

3 Likes

Air layering works great on jap maples. Takes a few months but works great. You can pull a shoot off with a heel from the node and it’ll root well too

11 Likes

Grafting is probably the easiest/highest success, but you have to have rootstock for that. I’m guessing GC doesn’t have that.

Taking cuttings to root may be better for quantity, I just don’t know what the success rate is.

Could do both.

4 Likes

Hell yeah, Fig Trees bromigos …

22 Likes

Air layer! - it’s not super fast but will allow you to start much bigger clones-- you can start with 2" dia. “stems”(branches) & have small trees.

My biggest challenge with the few I’ve tried has been getting a good exterior “wrap” or containment for the media. They have to stay hydrated & breathe too. :thinking: These projects were back in hot/dry CA…whereas now in Hawaii I’ll throw junk plants on the lawn & find them rooting a week later after being run over by the mower. WTF. My cannabis clones aren’t that successful. :sweat:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Try some of this shit.It will root wood pecker lips together.For woody and moderate to root cuttings.I dumped my clonex because of this stuff I’m sure it would root a tree make sure it’s #8 they have a couple different formulas that’s the good shit

3 Likes

It works fast. I have done a few. Fresh tops or younger leaves with a small stem. Trees are expensive.

1 Like

I wish I was this cool! :rofl:

I did ask a friend though that just got back to me with this:

1. Make sure the branch you choose “snaps”, no snap = no cloning. The twig’s length should be within 4 to 6 inches.

2. Soil mix is peat moss and part perlite in a ratio of 1:1.

3. Prepping soil: water the soil and let it drain out of the pot completely. It will help in setting the soil firm and maintaining its texture. Then, using a hand shovel, mix the soil and create air holes.

4. Place the twig’s lower end into the soil and press down it firmly, should stay upright without any support.

5. Place in mini greenhouse or cover with a clear cup.

Let us know how it goes!

8 Likes

You can speed up the rooting with air layering on weed by strangling the stem, tight enough to interpret the flow of sap but not stop it.

7e6834559cb95dbaf27a5414c276bc7950b55320_2_322x500
Willow and honeysuckle only need a branch buried.

I’d be fairly confident that clones from your tree would root but air layering is kind of a guarantee.

9 Likes

Done this many times in college. You wanna take cutting in the spring/summer from green wood. Much easier to root green wood vs last years growth. Imo it’s easier to just root them straight into soil 3x3 or 4x4. Once they root it’s the same as anything else. With plants like this probably looking at a 50% success rate so plan for that and also plan for some of those cutting to just not grow with proper shape. Good luck.

5 Likes

Well I’ve tried for 3 years now, trying to root a tart cherry tree branch. FAIL!
I used these small air layering pods. I think they are to small. I’m going to try again this year.
Fig’s will root if you ask them.

Good luck!!

12 Likes

I’m not sure if most trees can be ‘cloned’ the way we are used to.

Working on farms when I was young, we used to clone apple trees by grafting branches onto root-stock.
Not sure what type of plants/trees the root-stock came from. But it was easy and very successful.

7 Likes

Fig trees rooted…just took these pix… @SaintAliasKnife

10 Likes

Take a cutting from the green wood, hard to tell on the first photo but that looks like old growth. You need to clone from the new growth. I can see the green shoots, ie green wood, that’s what you want. Add cloning gel if you want, into soil, keep soil moist. I would do 5 cuts if you want 1 tree.

6 Likes