Anyone get 2 Plants from 1 Seed?

Wonder if it’s something with crossing certain plants?

3 Likes

Nature is funny…

That would be a plants equivalent of having twins… Two near genetically identical plants… pretty cool stuff

5 Likes

I have seen this 3 times and twice was in the same batch of BOGs Lifesaver seeds.

12 Likes

My guess, Momma was raised on water from Hamilton harbour.

3 Likes

this happens all the time, one is usually bigger than the other, I pinch the smaller one

3 Likes

I’ve even had a few with a miniature twin.

5 Likes

like when a double egg yellows in one eggshell you had twin seeds, in one shell. I had seen a couple instances of this growing up on the farm. you might get two tomato plants, or okra stalks out of one seed (very rare) that is cool.

mike28086

4 Likes

Among other crops twins can be used to find double haploids. Sometimes one of the plants is an apomict of the mother plant, either a double haploid or a clone of the mother.

5 Likes

interesting read on that term. never heard of it before.

mike28086

3 Likes

Have never seen this or read about it until this thread, and now I have two double seedlings in my garden. A Jungle Spice F2 and a Jungle Spice x Black Domina from lefthandseeds.

I should probably kill the weird runty ones but I’m gonna let nature take its course:

12 Likes

I try not to waste anything, I will let stuff grow, because I feel sorry for them if I kill them, I get upset come harvest time lol.

You never know, even the runty ones can be diamonds in the ruff.

8 Likes

That’s my thinking too, as long as they grow I’ll let em

4 Likes

I just got triplets, not sure if they will make it tho.

Was able to split one off, two was kinda fused together still.

Replanted and will keep an eye out, and try to split the two remaining plants, if they make it.

14 Likes

Wow never seen triplets before, didnt even know they could exist.

2 Likes

So glad to see I’m not the only one to experience this. At least I know it’s not anything I did!!

Actually, I recently put 12 beans into jiffy pots, and of those 12, 2 of them are double sprouts. Both are Jungle Spice #6, which were gifted to me by the very kind and generous @lefthandseeds, who is also the breeder that hooked up @beacher for his double sprout.

Since we know this isn’t actually a one-in-a-billion occurrence, I hope some people can share the final outcome of their double sprouted plants that were grown out. Like, were they prone to hermie, or were they the same sex or not, or was one always a runt, etc.

6 Likes

Twins are doing well at about a week old. Both Jungle Spice twins are healthy, but one is towering over the other. The Jungle Spice x Black Domina double large plant is doing well (a bit saggy), the runt looks a bit weird but is growing and seems happy enough

10 Likes

I separated my twins and planted each in it’s own container… they appear normal so far. i will take pix and notes and along the way and post my observations here…
my twins are from regular seeds… Did anyone get multiples from feminzed seed?

8 Likes

Transplanted both my doubles today into solo cups, they’re 2 weeks old. They both have one big, regular looking plant, and one really short, kinda weird looking runt. The roots on these weren’t actually as big as the singles I planted at the same time. JS is Jungle Spice, JSxBD is Jungle Spice x Black Domina.

Just gonna let em ride, but i have a feeling the runts will eventually be overpowered.

7 Likes

In case anyone’s still interested a quick update on my double seedlings. First is the Jungle Spice. The main plant is doing great, the mini-me is (obviously) smaller and a bit spindly but looks happy enough and is still growing:

The Jungle Spice X Black Domina. Main plant is great, mini plant is alot less mutated looking and is quite a good size considering:

9 Likes

I grew a seed that sprouted 2 plants from it. They were both uniform in size and shape, kind of like Siamese twins.
I let them grow together. ! became a lady, the other a male…HOW COOL WAS THAT!!!

I am still running the seeds they produced…in fact 1 is on my big scrog screen right now…Chucky’s Bride.

8 Likes