Anyone hear about these Scott's Miracle Grow Acquisitions?

I’m not going as far back as their deal with Monsanto, but some of these companies they’ve purchased make products I love, like the Gavita DE’s. I don’t want to support them because during the height of the “drug war” they sold out many growers. Anyone recommend a good reliable DE ballast for my Phillips 1ks?

2015 - Scotts Miracle-Gro buys General Hydroponics and Vermicrop Organics to move into the marijuana market, under the name Hawthorne Gardening Company
2015 - Scotts Lawn Service merges with ServiceMaster’s TruGreen, becoming the largest lawn care company in North America.
2016 - The Hawthorne Gardening also purchased Gavita Horticultural Lighting and American Agritech known as Botanicare to fill out their cannabis portfolio.
2016 - Scotts acquired Blossom, a California manufacturer of Internet enabled sprinkler systems.[12]
2017 - Scotts acquired Can-Filters, a Canadian-based carbon filter manufacturer and fan wholesaler under their Hawthorne Gardening Co. brand.
2018 - Scotts Miracle-Gro announced its plan to acquire Sunlight Supply Inc., a hydroponics supplier, for $450 million in cash and stock.[13]

7 Likes

Can-Filters? Dammit!! I hope the quality doesn’t go down.

And Sunlight Supply? There’s some products only available either direct from manufacturer or through Sunlight Supply distribution. As long as those products remain available I guess I’m coo widdit.

2 Likes

whoa, not happy to hear about Can-Filter either, wtf, that was a good Canadian company. I guess the founders of these companies are punching their ticket and getting rich, can’t blame them.

I really don’t like Scott’s, I hate their core philosophy which is to add toxic synthetic chemicals to every single product they sell - even things like perlite and bark mulch!!!

For example I just bought 2 bags of bark mulch off a menu at a store - it turned out to be Scott’s brand when I went to load them in my car. Turns out Scott’s can’t sell simple bark mulch - they have to add “coloration” to it.

I called to ask what the “coloration” is. It’s proprietary they said, but includes pigments and polymers used in cosmetics. “Polymer” is another word for “plastic”. So Scott’s takes a totally wholesome, natural product that people use to build soil quality with organic material and now you’re adding plastic to your garden.

I literally shoveled up the mulch into my wheelbarrow and got rid of it. I don’t want that shit anywhere near me or my dogs. Absolute shit!!!

10 Likes

Stuff like that really pisses me off. There is absolutely no good reason to add coloration to mulch. If only people would stop buying crap like that…

6 Likes

Yep, can filters, ecoscraps, botanicare, general hydroponics, and black magic are all owned by Hawthorne Gardening, which is owned by Scott’s Miracle Gro.

7 Likes

…unless you’re a megalith corporation trying to sell a waste product to the masses…:sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

:evergreen_tree: :v:

6 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of these companies including sunlight supply were owned partially or funded from the start by people/companies directly linked to Scott’s/Hawthorne. So even before the Scott’s/Hawthorne acquisition they were influenced thru mutual ownership.

5 Likes

we pot grower need to do some serious research before we buy products. so we will not make the wrong company rich like mg. botaincare general hydroponics and the other mmj companies whom will be selling out.

6 Likes

Guilty bought botnicare product 2016 if I knew who bought them I would have passed on purchase!

2 Likes

They also own the Roots Farm Hydro nutrients.

They have also bought a couple of Canadian companies that were competition, and just closed them down leaving the people in those towns reliant on the work, with nothing.

1 Like