Anyone know what’s going on here? (weird leaf growth)

These are clones from a mother plant I grew from seed and have had around for years.

It only seems to be effecting those few specific clones. Plants sitting right next to the clones look fine.

This also happened to me a while back in a different veg room, with clones from a different strain.

Neither of the mother plants had any leaves that looked like this, and the clones looked fine initially too. This didn’t start until after they were rooted and planted into soil (it’s store bought bagged soil and this time it’s a different batch of soil from the last time this happened months ago).

I suspected maybe russet mites (which I’ve never had before) but I’ve plucked leaves and put them under 100x magnification and didn’t see anything.
Maybe I just didn’t see them? I could try looking again.

Also, I rarely ever take in plants or clones from outside my garden. Almost everything I grow comes from seed.

I have never had HLVD as far as I know but haven’t had them tested.

My only other guess is some type of fungi or bacteria?

Whatever this is doesn’t seem to be killing them. It’s just causing this weird leaf growth.

3 Likes

My immediate thought is “damn, looks like russet mites” but you dod say neighboring plants are good

I’m gonna go with a root issue, maybe too wet or soil was initially too hot? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I was thinking russets or root aphids but you say no bugs.

1 Like

Have they been sprayed with anything recently? Doesn’t look like russets to me. If they are there, you will find them here:

4 Likes

Russet mites usually, but not always taco the leaves near the petiole, and if they are not found on the top of the leaf, there is a much better chance of locating them on the underside. They can’t fly, so if there is not a breeze or mechanical transfer by touching them, they don’t travel very far, if that is the issue. They are also known to stunt emerging new leaf growth, which I kind of see here, but I don’t see the taco-ing near the petioles. tldr; I don’t know, but check very carefully the underside of each leaf (they are fairly small plants and this shouldn’t take very long if they are there). If not, I would suspect some micro-nutrient deficiency, particularly molybdenum from the looks of it, but, I could be wrong here too. Molybdenum deficiencies can cause both deformed leaf growth and the yellow splotches that we see here. This can happen from soil not being amended with a rock dust or similar input, or from over-watering. I’m just listing everything I know given what I see, but take it with a grain of salt, as nothing is definitive.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly where I checked. But I will check again. Thanks!

Edit - and yes, I have sprayed them with pure crop 1 and then a thyme oil mix. But this was happening before I sprayed them. That’s the reason I sprayed…

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, that’s why I suspected russet mites too. It definitely only seems to be happening to the new top growth.

Molybdenum deficiency is something I hadn’t thought of. Thanks for the info. I’ll try hitting them with some micros.

It could be overwatering I guess but I haven’t really watered them much yet. Only at transplant.

I did check the roots on one of the clones when this happened months ago and didn’t see any damage.

This has really puzzled me…

2 Likes

It could possibly be a soil issue. I think they are in the same soil as the last time this happened.

I use a couple different brands of store bought soil so I can’t remember for 100% sure. But it’s definitely something I’ll pay attention to going forward.

Also keep in mind, that different stimuli can bring out different phenotypes (like mutations, and feeding problems). Ambient environment, lighting differences, feeding techniques, etc, between the mother and the clones can in fact give different results.

Just because the genetics are the same, doesn’t mean they will respond the same under different conditions.

I guess anything is possible. Try to narrow it down a bit more and see if you can spot anything off, from pests, to soil, to environment, to technique.

2 Likes

Russet mites are incredibly tiny, and you’d want some form of magnification, especially since they blend in where they are more common on the lighter underside. They are only about 200 micrometers, which is 0.2mm long, and much shorter wide.

4 Likes

Second that. They are so tiny that I looked right at them a couple times before realizing they were there. They are like the width of cystolith hairs, so teeny. Plant looks totally like Russet Mites, and I bet if you look close enough you will see them.

2 Likes

I agree it looks like russet mites to me too from the pics of russet mite damage I’ve seen.

I just checked another leaf yesterday. I removed one of the most damaged looking leaves from the plant and put it under a 100x digital “microscope” thing I have and didn’t see anything moving at all. I saw some tiny black specs but I think it was just dirt (russet mites aren’t black anyway, are they?). I watched them for 10 minutes and they didn’t move once.

It’s not actually a real microscope, and it only has a 720p screen but it’s usually good enough to diagnose issues. But it can be hard to get crisp resolution at times.

I’m going to keep periodically checking for russet mites.

I really don’t want to take a chance at my room being infested with russet mites but I can’t just ditch the few clones showing this weird leaf damage like I did when it happened last time 3-5 months back (in a different veg space at the same location). These are the only clones I have left off that mother plant and I really don’t want to lose this mom. It’s a really relaxing medicinal high for me.

Edit - I also already treated with sulfur since it’s supposed to work well against russet mites and it also works as a fungicide.

I can’t treat with anything else for a bit now (because 8 don’t want to burn them up). I’ll treat with sulfur again in a week or so.

For now I have them as separated as I can. I’d like to move them to another space but I’ll have to figure something out to do that.

2 Likes

Iv e had something very similar happening to an outdoor amnesia haze and it seems to have caused very stunted growth

1 Like