My Bush has this yellow rust on it Help meh

Hey overgrow !!! My bottle brush bush has this yellow rust stuff on it’s leaves. It’s affecting new growth.

Upon some research I found it could be myrtle rust. But this seems to be native to Australia and I can’t find any info for it relating too the USA.

So I’m thinking it may be something different.

It IS a fungus of some sort, as it rubbed off.

Any ideas? Thank you :pray:

4 Likes

Is it pollen? Its yellow and rubs off too.

Hard to tell without pictures though

3 Likes

Can you post some pics? icon_e_surprised|nullxnull

3 Likes

OH sorry XD I thought I posted one !!! @toastyjakes

2 Likes

Here you go sorry y’all!

5 Likes

That looks crazy. Hope you figure it out.

2 Likes

Crazy indeed !!!

IF this helps anyone, The plant seemed to become affected with this as soon as I planted it in the ground.

At the nursery it had signs of this but it was not this bad.

I cut off the effected branches and hoped for the best, But is has returned , all over the the plants new growth.

I’m going to call the nursery tomorrow and try and see where these plants came from, because Myrtle rust seems to be an Australia based issue. And im leaning toward that could be what this is.

Especially since it came back. But I am hoping OG has some ideas <3 thanks

3 Likes

Definitely a mold of some kind…

2 Likes

Do you mean fungus? I only say that because it rubs off the leaves like pollen would ! Rust diseases / RHS

2 Likes

Looks like leaf scorch. Bacterial infection

2 Likes

Would leaf scorch rub off the leaves like pollen ? It stained my finger yellow when I rubbed a leaf

2 Likes

Not that I know of. Could be pollen from where you got the oleander from

2 Likes

Could be goldenrod rust, happens in the U.S.A. …

7 Likes

Okay now we might be onto something. Thats quite zoomed but I do see similar color , I imagine that rubs off too ? Thanks for the help so far ya’ll !

3 Likes

Wow I’ve never heard of such a thing

4 Likes

Just make a search for images of Coleosporium solidaginisempollon|nullxnull

7 Likes

Try copper. I’ve used it on my fig trees that are susceptible to a similar rust in my climate and it worked pretty well as a preventative. Not so much after the outbreak but you may be able to prevent it from spreading.

4 Likes

Could also be leaf septoria. Either way, it’s a fungus/bacteria. Most likely from over watering after transplanting into the ground

2 Likes

I think it’s myrtle rust 99%

4 Likes

But in that case leaves would be affected, not just gone while wiped out …

2 Likes