Anyone making their own meals, flours eg: oyster shell flour etc

Maybe u can search by brand but this is what my local tractor supply carrys for about 15 bucks for the bag, bought it a year and a half ago lol

1 Like

Don’t have those stores or the brand you show.

I found a source for oyster shells. My local fish monger gets them unshucked then he shucks them and throws out the shell.

I asked if I could come past and pick them then up he said no problem. That takes care of the oyster shell problem…

So instead of drying them in the sun as I live in populated area and the neighbors wouldn’t be to thrilled with the smell I was thinking about drying them out in a food dehydrator surely that would work…

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps but I can find this for about $20 for 50 Lbs- 22.68 Kg.

2 Likes

Unfortunately for me it doesn’t anything from US Canada EU etc… out of reach for me.

Appreciate pointing it out to me though

1 Like

Is that flour or the pebbles? I picked up a bag of pebbles locally, but it’s a bitch to break up. Anyone have a good way to turn it to flour?

Call around a few feed stores all I could find is crushed till about 7 feed stores in found one with these available got 100 lbs for 40 bucks

2 Likes

Sadly, I also bought the small pebble version!

Now, looking for the Flour version…

2 Likes

I hear roasting it on a fire helps it not be so hard and then using a cheep throwaway blender works also you can use the pellet pieces just will take longer to break down

3 Likes

Well went to the fish monger to pick up some oyster shells and ended up with 23lbs lol

I’m going to soak and rinse them over the next couple days, then either put them on the lowest oven setting for 10 minutes or look at putting them into a food dehydrator.

What do you think oven or dehydrator, natural not an option cause of neighbors?

1 Like

Maybe outside on the BBQ grill? Otherwise, inside 250°F in an oven.

2 Likes

Oven probably easier.

I read an article about how they prepare the shells for chicken feed. Thats where the oven came into it. They said they did it to kill harmful bacteria/mould that could make their chickens sick and easier to break up.

Be interesting to see how much OSF I get from 23lbs.

I’ll break it down with a mallet first then put it through an old coffee grinder to powder it

I’m able to get this amount every second day if I want which is pretty great will save a ton of money.

2 Likes

I’ve now baked all me oyster shells and have put them in buckets for now.

Will grind them up in a week or so time once I have everything else here. I’ll get some picks up as well if anyone’s interested

2 Likes

question:

any of you use:

• horse manure
  • chicken manure
  • worm manure

what is best for bio growing in the garden?

all have been composted/matured so ready to use

2 Likes

i personally love ewc i have a few worm bins i make it myself i add different ammendments cannabis leafs rock dust oystershell all sorts of goodies i would be selective with chicken or horse manure making sure it comes from a clean source where i know what is added vs like bags at home depot or lowes

3 Likes

I definitely use EWC and love having a worm bin. Think I’ll eventually get another bin to increase production. I believe my own EWC is the reason I don’t have fungus gnats.
I also really want to source some Rabbit manure. Ive read that it doesn’t need time to break down and can be used almost immediately.

3 Likes

this i hear rabbit and alpacha manure are the best because its already cold composted ready to go @CrunchBerries

5 Likes

Having a worm bin is probably the single best thing you can do in my opinion

4 Likes

Rabbit poop is suppose to be the best poo u can get for a cannabis garden

Worm castings is hands down the best amendment though, if ur in it to win it growing cannabis having worms is a huge no brainer and must have, especially being able to directly feed whats gonna create top notch castings, my worms get all my fan leaves, males and kitchen scraps with the occasional bundle of bananas thrown in and my castings been nothing short of top notch quality

2 Likes

I fed kitchen scraps for a while but have moved to a more Coots style worm bin. I feed my worms amendments such as Barley, kelp, neem and karanja, Grokashi, canna leaves, etc., azomite and greensand for grit. Always small amounts in rotation. Fresh ewc is one of the best things you can do for your organic grow and it’s super fun!

4 Likes

This I’m actually going to be setting up a static 30 or 40 gallon worm bin like coots does not quite the 100 gallons but don’t need that volume as of yet for my garden makes it easy to make soil all the amending is pretty much done just add peat and some aeration and light amend and its a kick ass soil better then any bagged you can find on the market

3 Likes