Hello from Maritime Seeds!

Hello folks, I am new to overgrow and would like to introduce myself and my small breeding co based out of New Brunswick, Canada. I started growing in 2014 and started maritime seeds in 2018 with a fairly large phenohunt of KC Brains ‘Sweet Dreams’ and ‘Afghani Special’. When starting out I was really trying to take a scientific approach to the breeding, looking at allele dominance and trying to build a new unique cultivar with stability among seeds. My plan was to do some test crosses in order to determine allele dominance. In that phenohunt run I F2’d the Sweet Dreams and Afghani Special and also hybridized both with a few different select mothers, mostly just for shits and giggles.

I quickly realized that more funding would be needed to achieve the breeding goals that I had set out. And unfortunately, I was likely not going to make a whole lot of money with a F2 of these old genetics that people don’t really know about. I mostly advertise/sell on IG and a lot of the growers there just want tight frosty buds and don’t care about the more unique, oldschool and landrace genetics.

So, with this in mind I set out to create a modern hybrid that looks and smells amazing, for the IG growers. At that time I was testing for Oni seeds and had just finished up a run with their Tropicanna Punch bx1. A beautiful specimen was found that I knew would work well in the project. Next thing was finding a male. It just so happened that Seed junky was releasing their Wedding Cake F4 so I scooped some up and hit an exemplary male into the select Trop Punch Bx1 Cut. That’s when my ‘Purple Candy Cake’ was born. Growers in Canada were all over it and the F1’s sold out quickly. I then F2’d in two versions, they sold well but I am still sitting on a ton of seeds (possibly made too many).

Now it is at the point where I am ready to go back and do some real breeding with oldschool heirlooms and landraces. I really want to make something new by stabilizing out specific traits through test crosses and in-breeding to eventually providing a brand new, stable cultivar with traits from select landraces and heirlooms.

Anyways, just wanted to give you guys a little background of my breeding history and introduce Maritime Seeds. This isn’t all the crosses that I have made but it is the most important ones. Cheers folks and happy growing!

42 Likes

Welcome to the OG @greenbeans506
I think you’ll like this forum. Lots of great peeps here, and very little BS and shit talking like other forums. This is a great group of people who actually help others, and not talk down or demean them when they have a problem or ask for help.
Do you have a website?? Or just IG??
Once again, welcome to the OG.

10 Likes

Thanks @Kgrim ! Really appreciate it. I do have a website but it is only online for drops and a few months afterwards. Its currently offline. There is a ton of pictures and details on the IG page (@maritimeseeds) but that is a pain to look through and find. Could I make some replies on this topic with the varieties information and a few pictures?

It really sounds like this group is a great place to be … getting tired of IG if we are being honest. We gotta work together and help eachother out… this sounds like the place to do that :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Welcome to OG @greenbeans506 never been on IG but I think this place is different. Great community here.

6 Likes

This is definitely a great place with awesome people.
You need to be here a bit to participate, but they have awesome giveaways for free seeds, and co-ops for preservation. There are some great landrace growers who are doing some great preservation work on some interesting strains.
This forum has been awesome since I signed up, the folks here are some of the coolest people, and there is friendship, comraderie, and a sense community. Drama & BS just a trickle here and there, and not much at that, compared to places like RIU, which I left for this awesome place.

9 Likes

Ace Seeds

Mandala Seeds…all great sources of landraces. These are vendors that care about purity and worried about the introduction of western hybrids.

I can vouch for Mandala and Kwikseeds. Had excellent service, fair germ rates on the Mandala stuff which included Afghanni 90 X Master Kush 90, Deep Chunk. Been growing sativas for many years. Am trying to get a pure indica grow going now.

Welcome and good luck,
Uncle Ben

9 Likes

Welcome to OG @greenbeans506 !!

Lots of us Canuks here (Guelph ON for me).

I hope you find a real home in this community!

8 Likes

Thanks @MonasticDank ! IG is not the greatest if you want to connect with knowledgable growers/breeders. They are on there but it is mostly new growers and alot of drama/BS. Great place get seeds sold though!

3 Likes

@Kgrim I would love to do a little giveaway for you guys when the site allows me to. Still have a ton of Purple Candy Cake F2 left. I will be watching for folks working on landrace preservation… that has to be one of the most important things we can do as breeders/growers.

Cheers!

14 Likes

Sweet!!! That definitely sounds like a strain that would be enjoyed by all!!!
The Free Seeds and Clones thread is where some of the giveaways go on, and a few others have their own threads for giveaways.
Keep an eye out for co-ops, there are nice runs people are doing for keeping some of the old school and landrace around and have sign-ups for free seeds.

4 Likes

There are many MANY threads devoted to landrace strains and growing/trading of them and their seeds.

IMO this community is the absolute best font of information and genetics anywhere.

5 Likes

Welcome to OG, love the name Maritime Seeds, had me at the name haha. Those seed junkie wedding cake beans are something else , such a stellar strain, not into much hype stuff but that one was pretty much a constant staple in my rotation until recently . Great place you’ve found here with amazing people. Enjoy. I’m also Canadian (Ontario) lots of us here. :beers:

10 Likes

I have a friend of a friend called old uncle Ben from here in NB! Legendary oldschool grower.

Thank you for the recommendations, I’ve looked at the real seed co and Kwik seeds, will definitely have to checkout ace and mandala. Appreciate that.

From Kwik i’ve been eyeballing the Master Kush 90, X18, Friesland, Cindy 99 for heirlooms and for landraces- Moliotiko (Greece), Tashkurgan (Afghan). Also will be hunting a couple Siberian LR acquired from Russian landrace bureau.

What would you recommend for a pure landrace sativa? I have never been able to smoke modern sativas becuase they create anxiety for me. Hoping to find a landrace with the blissful euphoric high and little to no anxiety or paranoia.

Best of luck on the pure indica grow.

Thanks again,

Green Beans

3 Likes

Thanks @Yetigrows !

Glad to hear there’s lots of Canuks here, have you seen anyone from NB? There must be a few!

I recognize your name ‘yetigrows’ are you also on IG?

Cheers my friend!

5 Likes

Awesome! I will get that giveaway started today or tomorrow, also have a bunch of the Afghani Special F2 that will go in the giveaway. That’s a real unique one, it’s a worked Afghanistan LR with huge buds and narrow leaflet traits. Unsure where exactly the Landraces originated in Afghanistan.

Will certainly check out the co-ops there too, it sounds like an amazing way to work together as a community towards a common goal and for the love of the plant.

6 Likes

So happy to hear that, this is definitely the place to be… IG is getting very old. It feels stagnant, not moving forward as a community.

7 Likes

Agreed. The canna world on IG is just a lot of ‘hey! Look at me!’ bullshit. It just doesn’t feel collaborative, cooperative, or friendly.

OG is the opposite. Welcome!

9 Likes

Thanks my friend! I’m a proud Maritimer born and raised so it just felt right to make that the name :slight_smile:

If you’d like to do a little trade or something I can send a pack of the Purple Candy Cake F2! F2 version1 was selected to lean more towards the Wed cake side so I think you’d like that one.

3 Likes

This is Purple Candy Cake F1. Flavors lean mostly towards the Tropicanna Punch Bx1 side. Reminds me of a creamy strawberry cereal/fruit punch.

This is Purple Candy Cake F2V2 color, stature and flavor lean Trop Punch, Bud structure WC

Here is Purple Candy Cake F2V1 flavor, bud structure, color all lean WC. Stature leans Trop Punch.

35 Likes

They look Amazingly tasty!!!

2 Likes