Apps for Seed Collections

Does anyone know of any good Android or Windows apps that are good for keeping track of seed collections? I know I can use excel or a spreadsheet program, but that’s not as sexy lol.

I know there is an Android app called “My … Collection” that allows you to keep track of most any collection, with customizable searchable fields, but I was wondering if there were any apps that are already suited for our collecting purposes.

7 Likes

I’m working on this as a side project right now actually.

I’m essentially coding out a web application for QR code based strain tracking.

Here’s how I see it working:

1. You’ve got your seeds from your strain - you go to the web interface and add a new strain. It outputs a QR code which you print and stick/tape your seed container.
  2. When you QR scan that code, it takes you back to the site which allows you to input photos and any data related to the strain - name, etc.

It’ll associate the QR to only your account so that your strains are stored strictly there, for editing/updating.

This doesn’t take long, I just need to get off my ass and tie it together.

I definitely have a need, and it sounds like you do too. I wonder how many others do also?

edit: sorry this doesn’t answer your question of an immediate solution.

22 Likes

Rolladex or cpu spread sheet

3 Likes

yeah - I can use crayons and the back of a paper bag also, but as I mentioned I was hoping for something else (aside from a spreadsheet program) to do the job

8 Likes

Excel. :beers::beers::beers:

6 Likes

Lotus 1 2 3

8 Likes

you are really showing your age there @OleReynard - Lotus 123 had it’s last stable release 19 years ago and was discontinued in 2013 :rofl:

10 Likes

Yeah well it was early 90’s when I went thru CAD for a degree.
Lotus was one of the programs.

Shit everybody.ought to know about how old I am already, aint shy.

12 Likes

I tried to pay my lil brother to make me a strain list. He made up the template but said I had to pay him more to enter all the beans I have in the stash. Lol.

7 Likes

lol, it’s ok, I am an old fart too, I just hadn’t seen that software mentioned in awhile - it had a great run and was a good alternative to excel.

3 Likes

I don’t blame him, I am sure that is no small task lol

2 Likes

I’ll beta test this app if your building it for Android. I’ve got a Galaxy S20 FE 5G if this matters at all.

I’ve almost lost all my strain data thanks to my phone needing to be replaced. So the app your proposing would actually be helpful…

I’m assuming it would be some type of login into your own user account and bam everything is available…

Add/edit categories ex: Autoflower or Photoperiod, Feminized ect
add/edit photos
add/edit strain data
Add/edit growers notes kinda deal.

5 Likes

Yeah I dont blame him either. I just need to get off my ass and do it but man I’m lazy.

3 Likes

@JBow918 and @monkeyman, glad I caught you BOTH in one place. Shoot me Personal Info and First Aid (High CBD) headed your way(s). Enjoy the weekend, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :fireworks: :fireworks:

9 Likes

You nailed it, web application so all data is centralized. I could probably write something in to dump spreadsheets for people also.

I’m going to be hacking on it furiously this weekend so hopefully I have a beta up soon.

7 Likes

@8k_feet Awsome work… when your beta needs testing hit me up. I’ll make good use of it and provide feedback and examples.

If it is a mobile app, it would also be nice to have a way to print out a list of the collection somehow, and to share it with others

4 Likes

Seedfinder website has lots of database applications that can be useful

Thank for the info, I checked it out, but unless I am missing something I am not a fan of databases of my seeds that are stored on other people’s websites or servers

2 Likes

What’s wrong with good old excel? And CTRL+F?

You can literally make your own headings, any info you want, and sort them all by whatever (breeder or name etc).

I can search my stuff by unopened or opened, by breeder name, by stock/quantity… You can highlight your current run/next run. You always know how much of what you have at a simple glance of the screen!

3 Likes