Are these mites or something else?

Salutations BigSur,

Once i’ve seen a reference to CS under the token “electrical water” or something. Should NanoSilver prove to work fine as an early miticide that would just kill obscene sources of revenues and benefit the end user IMO. After it’s true even The Borg cannot adapt at the egg stage, i have no problem believing that. While the real barrier is people’s minds instead… I sure might have enjoyed such discussions! But not now not here, thanks for the cooperative feedback anyway!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

Just dont stop the malted barley topdress!! Weird though. Dump a grain. Now you have beneficial grain mites😉. I bet the ones on your leaves were getting the barley dust off for you.

2 Likes

They sell silver cartridges here for purifying water, and they are commonly used in pools and hot tubs. Not CS or nano silver but using spun silver with high surface area that the water passes through as a contact killer. The silver in many Canadian silver coins of old is 80% silver and 20% copper. American silver coils of old were 90% silver and 10% copper. You can make your own CS+CC water by using old silver coins as electrodes in a 33 volt DC setup in water. As you said, CS is light sensitive, as silver is light sensitive (why they used silver for B&W photography back in the day). So you have to store it in brown bottles in the dark.

The H2O2 spray is very effective though, and 3% hydrogen peroxide is about 80 cents a quart here. That is enough to make 4 US (not imperial) gallons of spray, at a rate of one cup per gallon. Sugar is about as cheap, $2 for 5 pounds here.

Grain mites BITE humans (and pets) though. So they are not beneficial in my book.

BTW, I also use Borax in my laundry with detergent to kill fleas and mites. Mainly to keep the population down in the house from what we bring in from the outside. It also helps to prevent transfer of mites on clothing. I had a HUGE bamboo spider mite problem here a few years ago, and they were very difficult to eradicate, but I did.

1 Like

In my tents anything that moves dies, simple as that. Don’t wanna take any chances bro!

3 Likes

Dude my whole soil surface moves, it kinda creeps me out.

3 Likes

You’re a No-Tiller bro! That’s why…

3 Likes

I itch just reading about this…

4 Likes

You guys should see my rooms after doing notill for 2 yearsXD ive seen all the bugs. And all ive added were worms. If i killed everything in my room id be there with a microscope for years and yearsXD

6 Likes

So the mites are under control, but the gnats are going crazy again. I’m starting to think my real problem is I don’t have enough worms in there. If I had more worms, they would out compete these gnats and mites by eating the decomposing matter. I’ve only added maybe a couple dozen. I’ll grab a bunch from the bin and see how that works.

I started watering 1/2 gallon every other day, but that wasn’t quite enough. The lower leaves started drooping, so I’ll try 1 gallon every other day. Plants are flowering nicely. My clones are not too happy though. I planted them in plain peat with a tad of perlite. I think it’s too acidic for them. I’ll try transplanting them to see how they react.

2 Likes

Thats more then enough worms. You got any carbon on your mulch? Too much green can be breeding grounds for gnats.

1 Like

No, I need to order up some barley straw. There used to be a feed store right around the corner from work. Drove by today, but they aren’t there any more. :rage:

1 Like

You can use anything:) barley is expensive to ship. Especially enough to mulch. I get timothy hay from the pet store. Grown without pesticide or anything except rain and sun. 12 bucks for a big ol bag

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out. Is it used for bedding for rodents?

1 Like

Is bedding feed stock like in vermi composting? If so then yes:)

Have you tried adding 1/2 inch or so of just worm casting over the top of the pot to keep the gnats at bay?

2 Likes

i found beneficial nematodes to be very effective. i eradicated mine with only one application then not watering for a week. S. feltiae are the ones i used. don’t think they hurt benes.

1 Like

I have found that peat is too dense and it tends to hold too much water, or dry out and then repel water. I have since switched from peat and perlite to a sand and perlite for seedlings and clones and that seems to work better because it drains better. You can also add some peat to the sandy mix, and I have been experimenting with that. I use fine river sand from a local river beach here. It is a mix of quartz and black material.

3 Likes

Build a Soil mentioned using rice hulls as a mulch layer on IG. I happened to have four pounds on hand. It ended up being a nice thick layer, about three or four inches.

Today was officially my first IPM Monday. I sprayed everything less than three weeks flowering with Method-1 PPS. My grow room smells so good right now. I sprayed some on a gnat and watched it die on contact.

2 Likes

i use hemp oil allll the time for my plants! not in the form of method 1 but from manitoba harvest. its amazing forsure.

rice hulls work. but think about watering. youll dig a hole right through the rice hulls. but that will help with the c:n ratio. sometimes i see a gnat flying but not too often. i wonder what were doing different. when you do your IPM do you spray your mulch too?? i use whats leftover in the bottle to soak the mulch.

1 Like