Are these mites or something else?

I’m pretty sure what we are doing different is you have a carbon source for your mulch and mine was pure nitrogen. I don’t mind the occasional gnat. I’ll have to see how watering goes this afternoon.

EDIT: Yes I spray the mulch too, now

1 Like

fosho dude. i still get gnats sometimes. what can you do. its the soil food web.

1 Like

How about watering less often, gnat larvae only live in the top portion of the soil if you let it dry out more they will start to go away. Or if you inoculate your soil with Bt you won’t have anymore gnat problems. I’m not sure what other organisms it affects though.

2 Likes

if you let it dry out you will kill off a lot of soil life causing a big release of nutrients and your plants start to burn

2 Likes

natural selection -jk I don’t know anything about no till… How about just letting the top inch or so dry out? Do you keep it saturated all the time?

2 Likes

hahaha exactly. thats actually the main part. most of the soil life lives in the top few inches of the soilXD malted barley, neem and ipm:)

2 Likes

I use bonide premix neem from seed to 3 weeks into flower with no change in taste or smell in the finished product. No bugs whatsoever!
It doesn’t kill them but it stops their breeding and metabolism dead. They basically starve to death and (can’t get it up) lol.

2 Likes

I swear by Neem oil myself. Raw and refined. Hemp oil probably works the same as refined neem, I have not tried that. Add hemp oil to marijuana… and make the DEA squirm!

I get soil gnats indoors, but they are few and do little if any damage that I can tell.

3 Likes

@BigSur have you tried this method on sooty mold as well? I’m going to today since we have a significant amount of cloud cover. I just tried @lotus710 treatment of LAB with Distilled Water a few days ago by thouroughly dousing them and now have some Sooty Mold spots happening. I believe it may have been a little milk residue from the LAB mix or could be just aging of the plant?

Since it will work on PM i’m thinking it should help? Follow up with some shots of it before/after.

Cheers

2 Likes

what was your ratio of lab to water? probably not milk residue. could be lab if you used too much. with foliars the next day you always wanna spray plain water to wash off residues, they happen:)

1 Like

Started with a full syringe @ 40ml LAB to 1000ml distilled water - now half @ 20ml/1000ml. Probably spaced out reading the rinse part, so never did that.

1 Like

that is way way waaaayyy too muchXD the useage is 1ml per 1000ml hahahahahXD

2 Likes

There is a pest product that can be purchased at most retail stores. Hot shot pest strips. They are around 7 dollars and kill mites and eggs in days. However they are not recommended if you live in or around the grow area. So garages basements and unattached rooms are fine. quickest and best solution I have ever found. Other than not getting mites.

1 Like

Well now that I covered my top soil with rice hulls and started an IPM regimen, these grain mites are no longer crawling around the surface. I’ll have to get you all an updated pic as we start into the fourth week of flowering.

1 Like

I am very interested in seeing that. I used AzaMax in BTI water to control the population of gnats and there aren’t any at all now. They were becoming a pest too…

Potassium Soap of fatty acids will kill them upon contact, but you have to see them where they are and spray them… Soap water only works if it comes into immediate touch with the bug, residues don’t do anything…

Question, would UVC germicidal CFL lamp help the area where it is grown? Of course, no plants.

1 Like

Salutations Alpine,

Why not? As long as the damage ain’t consequent, while perhaps that would help repel The Borg which as i very vaguely recall would avoid UVC light because it’s a reminder of sunlight and that’s light the critters prefer to avoid i believe. Somehow my vaporist pipe makes me expect brief intense pulses can be adjusted to avoid causing concern, then it’s all speculation on my part if the UV radiation would be equivalent to sunlight, not to mention i’d have to verify if sunlight UV light has any effect on them… But i can smell my diner is ready, i must go!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

3 Likes

i should post a video of my soilXD you guys would flip shit :laughing:

3 Likes

Right? I think I’m over that initial shock. I’m still excited when I see a worm though :grin:

2 Likes

I thank the man for the answer, Mr. Green Cleaner will be ok for sterilization