Are we have here any other enthusiast of DIY home audio?

hello everyone,
I have another hobby besides grow and it is hear music with high quality sound. For some years I spent some money improving my car stereo system but I sold my car withouth my last stereo set.

I have here an amazing JL AUDIO HD 900/5 who gives me a true fidelity audio combined with my two pairs of 2-way Morel speakers and a Diamond D612 subwoofer.

So, like I said, I haven’t a car anymore and wanna make a home-theater 4.1 (maybe can be 5.1 when tv speakers is on)with these equips.

Can anyone help me to choose a correct MW drivers that can feed this amp correctly and a sound level control so I can regulate and don’t get expulsed by my nighbors from my apartment??
hahahaha
Many thanks to all

7 Likes

@Albannach??? I’m sure I read somewhere on OG you build custom amplifiers and such.

4 Likes

Yeh bro i did for a while. Home audio though and he’s got a vehicle power amp there so a slightly different ball game. With hifi amplifiers a lot of money goes into the power supply to reduce mains noise and interference so i’m not sure how to advise him. The cheap/easy way would be just use a car battery and keep charging it. A Meanwell 12v driver might do a job but it would need to be very big, so big i’m not even sure they make one that big. The specs go out of their way to avoid telling you just how much power at 12V the unit can consume but it does specify a 60A fuse which should give you some idea of what you require. Probably at least half that and maybe more.

Anyway that’s why most folk don’t use car audio gear in their home and if they are they probably have a truck battery running it :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah nothing sounds better than in car audio. I aways wanted to wall mount a kenwood head unit and a couple of 6x9s but I could never figure out a way to power it so in the end I gave up on the idea.

2 Likes

You really need to hear a proper full range hifi system in a decent sized room bro. Nothing compares cos apart from anything in the electronics or speakers you need the space. A hifi system drives the room it’s in. For example a hundred grand system can sound total shite if badly set up in say an ‘L’ shaped room :laughing:

6 Likes

This. It’s true.

I’ve had the fortunate opportunity to receive a private audition of the Shure (the microphone company) audio testing studio.

The engineer demoing the system switched in only the two front of the room speakers. Started a Peter Gabriel tune.

The sound was unlike anything I’ve experienced. Completely immersed in a three dimensional sound stage, forward / back, up / down, left / right. Of, course, that was a million dollar room playing back a well recorded tune. Still, it was using off-the-shelf components in a rigorously designed and tuned room. Put those components somewhere haphazardly and it would all be lost.

6 Likes

A family member has spent thousands on hi-fi equipment and it sounds incredible but for some reason I really like how car audio sounds :joy: I’m probably tone def after all the 3 day outdoor raves I used to go to in the 90s and 00s :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeh you are a bass head bro just like i once was. I had a kenwood system in the 90s, the bass boost button was never turned off back then :laughing:

I got into serious hifi in the early 2000s, spent a small fortune box swapping until i discovered that when it came to sound quality i could build for hundreds what commercially costs thousands to buy.

I have a very plain looking system nowadays but it sounds stunning :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I have a soundbar with a sub. That’s good enough for me :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s the important part :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As long as I can feel the floor rumble :rofl:

2 Likes

Amazing what a pair of decent full range drivers can do when built into the right “box” and driven with a few really clean watts, eh?

I’ve been very happy with my various MarkAudio drivers. My mood and the weather determine whether I go with tubes or class D.

Might get around to building a pair of tower BLH this winter…

3 Likes

I admire your ambition bro. I was right into diy audio for a long time but nowadays i put most of my limited effort Into growing weed :grin: Proper hifi sound is something only a tiny number of people ever hear so it’s nice to be able to see someones jaw drop when they hear their favorite tunes through a set of open baffle speakers or even a good set of monkey coffins. It’s a shame really cos they would push for better recording quality just like big screen tv’s have created the demand for hi-def movies. It’s an industry that now caters to the masses who mainly listen to MP3 tracks so no need for hi-def audio systems.

Most decent recordings are either dire straights, classical or depressing farts like sting. It’s a problem :laughing: seriously it is cos the better the system, the more it exposes the source for what it is. Anything from trojan records played through a decent system sounds bloody awful. For that you need a muddy sounding 70s PA rig :joy:

I went through a phase of buying and building valve amps too but i never settled on one long term. I still like my bass but it has to be tight, a drum beat should feel like a kick not a shove :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Totally agree regarding everything you just wrote, especially the part about quality recording/engineering/ production. Dire Straits does sound excellent compared to so many others. So does Steely Dan. Actually, anything with some dynamic range instead of range compressed crap that constantly blows past clipping. “The Loudness Wars” are the wost thing that ever happened to music. Many great albums were and are ruined by it. Not only that, but new remasters of older recordings are also being butchered. It’s a crime against humanity.

If you want to find the best produced/mastered version(s) of your favourite albums, check out http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Just search the database and view the dynamic range ratings of different versions. You can also contribute your own test results to the database to help build it. You just download and run an analyser application for your music and then upload the results.

3 Likes

You said it bro. The problem is i’m often told to check out certain artists or recordings but usually find i don’t like the music. Especially jazz :disappointed: i really cant get into most serious classical stuff either. As a kid i used to listen to stuff like led zeppelin and ozzy, even saw him live back in the 80s.

I blame MTV for the downfall. video killed the radio star lol. After it launched by hurling dire straights at us, it became concentrated on image at the expense of the music. There used to be room for experimentation with both ffs.

No one from the 70s would stand a chance nowadays but it’s wrong to assume they didn’t know what a six pack was, some of the cans even had girlies on them :grin:

3 Likes

So much jazz is incredibly well produced/recorded, and jazz is such a massive and diverse genre. Some jazz I despise, some I really enjoy. But I had to make a real effort. :slight_smile:

I have pretty eclectic taste. All the classic rock bands get their share of air time at my house, but there’s tons of other weird and wonderful stuff to listen to and I do my best to remain openminded. Having said that, there’s plenty that I just can’t tolerate from the get go.

Maybe we should give this guy his thread back. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yea, this amp is classified as class D but can be called as hifi amp, I know, some guys only recognize class A or B as HIFI but JL AUDIO is a renomed company on high quality products
on my car I had a huge battery to support my subwoofer, more than a truck one haha
so, If I can’t find a driver I can use this battery (but I don’t wanna because it will took many space on my living room)
I found this driver but I dont know if supports SE-1000-12 https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=475

2 Likes

You’re right, who hear a hifi sound never forget it. It’s an immersive sensation like you be a part of song. I like classical and instrumental music, so, hifi equips runs good for me. I had 5gb of trojan records here haha impossible to hear that on my equips hehe

@cogitech hehe, this thread has no owner bro hahahah
relax, take a sit, roll-a-joint and let’s discuss it :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yep. :slight_smile:

Subs. Two of them. Four 15" drivers total.

In-room response with two of those and mains off.

Mains with AE Speakers td12x woofers. Sometimes I run these without subs.

Surrounds.

7 Likes

Nice setup bro :thumbsup: good work on the diy crossover too, jantzen caps too eh. Take it you’ve got something meaty driving that lot?

2 Likes